PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I know we've all complained about how bad 95% of YouTube is. Today I was stocking up a cart wanting to watch, (not read) some reviews. It's awful, they talk about so much other stuff, say uh 50 times, bad cameras, and sometimes just BAD information.

And then I thought........

There are a few here that could absolutely own the pipe YouTube community. A lot of you have so much tobacco you could review 10 a day for 1 year and still have content. Not to mention pipe reviews.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know we've all complained about how bad 95% of YouTube is. Today I was stocking up a cart wanting to watch, (not read) some reviews. It's awful, they talk about so much other stuff, say uh 50 times, bad cameras, and sometimes just BAD information.

And then I thought........

There are a few here that could absolutely own the pipe YouTube community. A lot of you have so much tobacco you could review 10 a day for 1 year and still have content. Not to mention pipe reviews.
We have @JimInks
Do we need anyone else ?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You just said he was.
I think he meant my reviews in general. A lot of people have tried to get me to do tobacco reviews at YouTube, but I have no interest in doing it. Writing them is enough work. If I had a video channel, I'd be talking baseball, telling stories about all kinds of things I've experienced or know about, my hobbies, cats, dogs, American history, puns that would get you a quick divorce if you repeated them to your spouse, etc. That's some of what I used to do when I did radio talk back in the 1980s and early 90s.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You have a channel? I'd love to see your channel. You're one of the one's I was talking about in my post. Your advice, and knowledge is what I want to watch.
Youtube is cracking down on tobacco related videos. Mine got deleted for "Inappropriate Content : Tobacco Use" even though they could only be accessed by link only and I had subscriptions blocked. SPC had to move their content to another video hosting site.

Last edited:

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I have a few videos on YT. I guess that makes me a part of the You Tube Pipe Community, although I tend to view myself as a person in the pipe community, be it YT, IG, Forums, shows, or as a retailer.

I can't wrap my head around why there is such disdain between the various avenues to absorb pipe information. There is great, good, terrible, and just down right incorrect information on all.

Find what's worth your time as far as information or entertainment. Absorb any information available. It doesn't matter which you're most comfortable with.

Finally, you only get out, what you put in. You can read all the forums you want. You can watch all the videos you want. IF you don't interact with others in the medium, of choice, it gets pretty boring very quickly.

Mike

ps Cosmic fire away, if you wish. I have very thick skin .......... LOLOLOL

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think few of us have any desire to sit and stare at a video of someone else smoking and being part of a one way “discussion”, learning to repair a stem great, hearing some random person’s thoughts on nightcap not so much, this is why we interact with ppl here or in person, interacting being the key. YMMV

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I think few of us have any desire to sit and stare at a video of someone else smoking and being part of a one way “discussion”, learning to repair a stem great, hearing some random person’s thoughts on nightcap not so much, this is why we interact with ppl here or in person, interacting being the key. YMMV
That happens all the time here. I swear I think some people post here just to see their name on a screen. It’s just as one way as a video.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
pipe tube vidoes are tough to watch. There are only so many times you hear the words grassy and haylike before you want throw yourself off a cliff . Tastes are very subjective as well so something a random tuber likes you may hate.
I find the only ones that are tolerable to watch are the folks that talk about other things like history, literature, life, etc.. while mixing in the pipe talk.
Kinda like what you would do in real life

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Youtube is cracking down on tobacco related videos.
I was under the impression that this was only for videos that wanted to be monetized. I mean, there are literally hundreds of pipe/tobacco videos up on YouTube. (Which makes me wonder why SmokingPipes claims they couldn’t keep their videos there. Maybe because they’re ”advertising” tobacco? Don’t know. I was just told by them that they weren’t allowed to have their stuff on YouTube…even though dozens of others do.)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I agree with most of the “who wants to sit and watch someone silently puff for minutes on end” YouTube critiques. But I do enjoy it when YouTubers do store tours, which happens way too rarely. It’s fun (for me, at least) to virtually visit a distant tobacco shop, see the stock, maybe meet the proprietors, etc.

We should be seeing a lot of pipe-show videos as well…but I honestly can’t recall seeing one that was well-edited and featured interviews with some of the participants, sponsors, hosts, and so on. (If anyone has links to show videos that aren’t just someone roaming the aisles and randomly narrating, I’d love to get them.) I know Brian Levine has done audio versions of this, but it would be great to see video produced with the same kind of depth and professionalism.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
I was under the impression that this was only for videos that wanted to be monetized. I mean, there are literally hundreds of pipe/tobacco videos up on YouTube. (Which makes me wonder why SmokingPipes claims they couldn’t keep their videos there. Maybe because they’re ”advertising” tobacco? Don’t know. I was just told by them that they weren’t allowed to have their stuff on YouTube…even though dozens of others do.)
Youtube much like reddit etc... is subject to random purges and bans by overzealous purple haired karens