PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I agree with most of the “who wants to sit and watch someone silently puff for minutes on end” YouTube critiques. But I do enjoy it when YouTubers do store tours, which happens way too rarely. It’s fun (for me, at least) to virtually visit a distant tobacco shop, see the stock, maybe meet the proprietors, etc.

We should be seeing a lot of pipe-show videos as well…but I honestly can’t recall seeing one that was well-edited and featured interviews with some of the participants, sponsors, hosts, and so on. (If anyone has links to show videos that aren’t just someone roaming the aisles and randomly narrating, I’d love to get them.) I know Brian Levine has done audio versions of this, but it would be great to see video produced with the same kind of depth and professionalism.
I've seen some really informative video tours of large Tobacco brands / houses, like MacBaren I think, perhaps a couple of others. They were educational.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I understand the general abhorrence of anything on YouTube, but there's some that are quite enjoyable. I would recommend the:

thepedalingpiper (usually 3-4 minutes)
nwpipesmoker (usually 10-15 minutes)
portlandpipesmoker (usually 40-60 minutes)
malcolmguite (usually 10-20 minutes)
thebluecollarpipesmoker (usually 15-20 minutes)

These are very enjoyable shows and none of these guys are pretentious or trying to talk you into things. It is not uncommon for 4 of them to hardly mention pipe smoking during the entire show. But they're always smoking a pipe. These guys put a video whenever it suits them. There is no set schedule. It is no problem you just have to subscribe and follow them. You will receive an email stating that a podcast is up and your choice whether to listen to them or not.

And I greatly enjoy the pipes magazine radio show which is a true podcast and is about 60-70 minutes. It makes me a little sad that so few of you have ever listened to this show. This show is on every Tuesday at 7pm CST.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't expect you to advertise yourself, but if you PM links I'd be interested in your takes , us both being toothless an all ;)
As mentioned above, all deleted by YouTube. My videos were done at the request of forum members at the time for visual aids regarding topics being discussed at the time. For me, smoking a pipe is little more though than fill pipe, light it, smoke it, dump it, clean it.

Reactions: vosBghos

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I understand the general abhorrence of anything on YouTube, but there's some that are quite enjoyable. I would recommend the:

thepedalingpiper (usually 3-4 minutes)
nwpipesmoker (usually 10-15 minutes)
portlandpipesmoker (usually 40-60 minutes)
malcolmguite (usually 10-20 minutes)
thebluecollarpipesmoker (usually 15-20 minutes)

These are very enjoyable shows and none of these guys are pretentious or trying to talk you into things. It is not uncommon for 4 of them to hardly mention pipe smoking during the entire show. But they're always smoking a pipe. These guys put a video whenever it suits them. There is no set schedule. It is no problem you just have to subscribe and follow them. You will receive an email stating that a podcast is up and your choice whether to listen to them or not.

And I greatly enjoy the pipes magazine radio show which is a true podcast and is about 60-70 minutes. It makes me a little sad that so few of you have ever listened to this show. This show is on every Tuesday at 7pm CST.
I ended up finding ThePedalingPiper last night. Watched his take on Dark Plug. He was decent.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I watch Malcolm Guite often - the pipe bit is fun, but he's a fun guy and I enjoy his actual readings, especially his own works, and knowledge which by and large have really nothing to do with pipes at all.

I really don't seek out any other current YT vids of folks wanting to establish channels for the purpose of establishing channels re pipes as pipes, probably some good ones, the few I've sampled aren't interesting to me at all, but I won't paint them all with the same brush.

I love to hunt and shoot but except for maybe a take on a certain handgun of interest (in actual use with some solid info from a source or two I know I can trust), I don't seek them out at all and haven't watched one for a couple of years - never watch hunting or fishing on YT, never will.

YT has lots of good content, just in the sorting.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It makes me a little sad that so few of you have ever listened to this show
I tried once on the advice of others here but couldn't finish it. I liken it to my kids talking about watching videos of someone playing a video game, I'd rather be doing it than hearing about it or seeing someone else do it.

Reactions: vosBghos

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I tried once on the advice of others here but couldn't finish it. I liken it to my kids talking about watching videos of someone playing a video game, I'd rather be doing it than hearing about it or seeing someone else do it.

I think you and @Briar Lee should be guests on the PMag Radio show. Seperate episodes of course

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I think he meant my reviews in general. A lot of people have tried to get me to do tobacco reviews at YouTube, but I have no interest in doing it. Writing them is enough work. If I had a video channel, I'd be talking baseball, telling stories about all kinds of things I've experienced or know about, my hobbies, cats, dogs, American history, puns that would get you a quick divorce if you repeated them to your spouse, etc. That's some of what I used to do when I did radio talk back in the 1980s and early 90s.
I'd watch!

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
If I had a video channel, I'd be talking baseball, telling stories about all kinds of things I've experienced or know about, my hobbies, cats, dogs, American history, puns that would get you a quick divorce if you repeated them to your spouse, etc. That's some of what I used to do when I did radio talk back in the 1980s and early 90s.

I'd watch that.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I think the reason YouTube gets dumped on so much, especially in these parts, is because so many pipe-related channels on that medium fit into these two categories, both noxious to the sensibilities of many here:

1. Poorly edited and meandering videos recorded with a potato featuring people who, coincidentally enough, look somewhat like a potato themselves. Watching a stranger puff away and smack their lips, while exclaiming "Boy, that tastes good!" is not entertaining or elucidating. YouTube, like much social media, is a platform damn near anyone can stump from. There is nothing wrong with that, but to paraphrase the late journalist, Christopher Hitchens, everyone has a book inside them, but that is where most should remain. That's not a dig on YouTube itself, but everyone thinks their opinion is worth airing unto the entire world, regardless of merit or technical skill.

2. They are videos that are otherwise decently edited and featuring someone well-spoken, but the person is clearly using pipe smoking as an extension of their personality and philosophy. Watching someone using what is, at best, a hobby as a substitute for the hard work of actually forming a whole and decent personality, though sometimes amusing, is typically boring and a tad depressing. A lot of pipe channels feed into this weird romanticism and sentimentality that exudes the worst stereotypes about pipe smokers. Cigar channels are similar, where you have to listen to boorish manosphere types puff away on a cigar while bitching about how masculinity is under attack or some other nonsense.

That being said, there are lot of pipe videos/channels that go into teaching people about pipes, etc., that can be very useful and informative. I know those were important to me when I first took up pipe smoking, but now that I've a few years of experience under my belt, I don't really need that anymore. There are other channels, like Malcolm Guite's, where he smokes his pipe often and occasionally talks about it, but the real draw is personal charisma and story-telling abilities of the user themselves. The pipe smoking is largely secondary. Those can be good in their own right.

YouTube can be a great resource, and I don't begrudge anyone who finds enjoyment on any YTPC channel. But I totally get why most here, myself included, don't get much out of it, generally speaking.