Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
to paraphrase the late journalist, Christopher Hitchens, everyone has a book inside them, but that is where most should remain. That's not a dig on YouTube itself, but everyone thinks their opinion is worth airing unto the entire world, regardless of merit or technical skill.

YouTube can be a great resource, and I don't begrudge anyone who finds enjoyment on any YTPC channel. But I totally get why most here, myself included, don't get much out of it, generally speaking.

Would much rather watch a HitchSlap Vid any day, what a treasure...
Matches 860 was a real treasure also in the storytelling department the genuine article...

Reactions: Piping Abe

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I watch Malcolm Guite often - the pipe bit is fun, but he's a fun guy and I enjoy his actual readings, especially his own works, and knowledge which by and large have really nothing to do with pipes at all.

I really don't seek out any other current YT vids of folks wanting to establish channels for the purpose of establishing channels re pipes as pipes, probably some good ones, the few I've sampled aren't interesting to me at all, but I won't paint them all with the same brush.

I love to hunt and shoot but except for maybe a take on a certain handgun of interest (in actual use with some solid info from a source or two I know I can trust), I don't seek them out at all and haven't watched one for a couple of years - never watch hunting or fishing on YT, never will.

YT has lots of good content, just in the sorting.
Malcolm Guite USA fascinating man. He has a Ph.D. from Cambridge in Medieval English and is an Anglican priest. He’s also an accomplished poet and an entertaining presenter. But his office is a mess. Books, pipes, and whiskey bottles all around. I have just books and pipes since I don’t drink whiskey.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
I think he meant my reviews in general. A lot of people have tried to get me to do tobacco reviews at YouTube, but I have no interest in doing it. Writing them is enough work. If I had a video channel, I'd be talking baseball, telling stories about all kinds of things I've experienced or know about, my hobbies, cats, dogs, American history, puns that would get you a quick divorce if you repeated them to your spouse, etc. That's some of what I used to do when I did radio talk back in the 1980s and early 90s.
That would be an incredible channel!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Baseball & pipes - doesn't get much better than that!
(Speaking of which, the World Baseball Classic and Opening Day are coming soon!)
That's when life returns to the world, man! :)

I should have mentioned I'd do a lot of comics talk, including the comic books I work on. Actually, I don't follow mainstream comics any more, but I have spent a quarter of a century as a comic book historian specializing in those published from the 1930s-1970s. I wrote over 250 biographies of those who worked in that time period as associate editor of Alter Ego magazine. I've written, edited/co-edited five books on comics creators. And I have been friends with many of the great creators: Jack Kirby, Will Eisner, Alex Toth, Steve Ditko, Carmine Infantino, Neal Adams, Terry Austin, Harvey Kutzman (creator of Mad Magazine), Bill Gaines (EC and Mad publisher) and Murphy Anderson, among others.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
A quote you might enjoy:
"It was here, playing for the Snake Island Wapatos amid the cottonwoods and wildflower glades of the seventy-two team Flathead League, that he had first begun, in his words, "to grasp the fundamental truth: a baseball game is nothing but a great slow contraption for getting you to pay attention to the cadence of a summer day." - Summerland, Michael Chabon.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I should have mentioned I'd do a lot of comics talk, including the comic books I work on. Actually, I don't follow mainstream comics any more, but I have spent a quarter of a century as a comic book historian specializing in those published from the 1930s-1970s. I wrote over 250 biographies of those who worked in that time period as associate editor of Alter Ego magazine. I've written, edited/co-edited five books on comics creators. And I have been friends with many of the great creators: Jack Kirby, Will Eisner, Alex Toth, Steve Ditko, Carmine Infantino, Neal Adams, Terry Austin, Harvey Kutzman (creator of Mad Magazine), Bill Gaines (EC and Mad publisher) and Murphy Anderson, among others.
Wow! Amazing! Since I live in the largest French speaking city in North America, I have a lot of access to the European culture of BDs or their comics - in particular from France & Belgium where there is quite a tradition. I particularly enjoy one - Jacques Tardi who did some amazing ones based upon the stories of his grandfather and father in both World Wars.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quote you might enjoy:
"It was here, playing for the Snake Island Wapatos amid the cottonwoods and wildflower glades of the seventy-two team Flathead League, that he had first begun, in his words, "to grasp the fundamental truth: a baseball game is nothing but a great slow contraption for getting you to pay attention to the cadence of a summer day." - Summerland, Michael Chabon.
Smart man!

Reactions: sparker69

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wow! Amazing! Since I live in the largest French speaking city in North America, I have a lot of access to the European culture of BDs or their comics - in particular from France & Belgium where there is quite a tradition. I particularly enjoy one - Jacques Tardi who did some amazing ones based upon the stories of his grandfather and father in both World Wars.
I know his work. Tremendous talent. Same goes for Moebuis, who I was fortunate to spend a little time with on two occasions. He even did a drawing for me, gratis, in one of his books that he signed to me. That was a great moment for me.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California

I should have mentioned I'd do a lot of comics talk, including the comic books I work on....
I've watched you, Jim. I saw your appearance on the virtual pipe club, and I've heard your interview with Brian Levine. I enjoyed it very much, and learned quite a bit: how your best friend got you in to smoking, about the role of an inker in the comic book process, about the difference in three nuns over the years. All really good content.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...
The floral, earthy, bready, grassy notes of your personality really came through as a primary component. With the tangy, sweet, plummy, fermented fruit parts of you life history played a supporting role.
Maybe not an all day listen, but definitely repeatable. Very little moisture left in the bowl. 4 out of 4.
😜

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have a few videos on YT. I guess that makes me a part of the You Tube Pipe Community, although I tend to view myself as a person in the pipe community, be it YT, IG, Forums, shows, or as a retailer.

I can't wrap my head around why there is such disdain between the various avenues to absorb pipe information. There is great, good, terrible, and just down right incorrect information on all.

Find what's worth your time as far as information or entertainment. Absorb any information available. It doesn't matter which you're most comfortable with.

Finally, you only get out, what you put in. You can read all the forums you want. You can watch all the videos you want. IF you don't interact with others in the medium, of choice, it gets pretty boring very quickly.

Mike

ps Cosmic fire away, if you wish. I have very thick skin .......... LOLOLOL
Yes! I agree! I tip my hat to anyone who takes the time to create content. I just happen to be a fan of your BriarBlues YouTube channel.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've watched you, Jim. I saw your appearance on the virtual pipe club, and I've heard your interview with Brian Levine. I enjoyed it very much, and learned quite a bit: how your best friend got you in to smoking, about the role of an inker in the comic book process, about the difference in three nuns over the years. All really good content.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...
The floral, earthy, bready, grassy notes of your personality really came through as a primary component. With the tangy, sweet, plummy, fermented fruit parts of you life history played a supporting role.
Maybe not an all day listen, but definitely repeatable. Very little moisture left in the bowl. 4 out of 4.
😜
I don't think anybody's gonna be funnier than that. Thanks for the laugh.