PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
This led me to reading Bob’s article. It’s funny how, through our own trial and error, we all develop a different path to the top of the same mountain. The end result being a steady burning bowl.

Bob’s “two step” method is what I do most often, if able to use both hands. I use the pipe to scoop from the tub, tapping on the rim to settle and then press the tobacco to midway. Repeat and done. Just some last minute fiddling to shape before lighting.

But I’d never paid much attention to the charring light or “numerous charring lights” as Bob suggests. It’s never too late to learn some valuable tid-bit of information to improve one’s enjoyment.

I did just that this morning, I made certain, as Bob suggests, to char and char again and not true light until I had a nicely prepared, flat toasted surface. I enjoyed that bowl immensely.

Thank you, Bob.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
  • Haha
Reactions: python

Wolfox6

Lurker
Feb 7, 2021
Northeast USA
I think this has been covered quite well and theres not much to add, except, keeping the condition of the pipe in mind.

With a new pipe, pack only 1/3 of the way to start a cake, then half or so, then full. The lose/medium/hard method from bottom to top has worked well for me. Don't overheat and this is especially true for non coated bowls.

Ribbon cut is best for this method, where flake and any compressed version has to be pre cut and or rubbed.

Light (not with a torch, preferably a match) char and tamp lightly, relight if needed. Don't leave unused tobacco in the bowl, but especially with a new pipe with the 1/3 pack, finish it.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
I think this has been covered quite well and theres not much to add, except, keeping the condition of the pipe in mind.

With a new pipe, pack only 1/3 of the way to start a cake, then half or so, then full. The lose/medium/hard method from bottom to top has worked well for me. Don't overheat and this is especially true for non coated bowls.

Ribbon cut is best for this method, where flake and any compressed version has to be pre cut and or rubbed.

Light (not with a torch, preferably a match) char and tamp lightly, relight if needed. Don't leave unused tobacco in the bowl, but especially with a new pipe with the 1/3 pack, finish it.
Leaving an unfinished bowl overnight can sour the pipe too?? possibly an old husbands tale lol idk

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

My father, a pipe smoker of some six plus decades has maintained the same and has never lost a pipe to ineptitude.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I had pipes in the late ‘70’s. The interest wore off. However, I still enjoyed the beauty of the pipes and tobacco aroma.

When I was involved in animal healthcare, visiting farms with hanging tobacco was a favorite Fall event.

I’m enjoying the pipes and tobacco again right now and have the pipes that interest me.

Also, I’m enjoying the community of members here. ??

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
I had pipes in the late ‘70’s. The interest wore off. However, I still enjoyed the beauty of the pipes and tobacco aroma.

When I was involved in animal healthcare, visiting farms with hanging tobacco was a favorite Fall event.

I’m enjoying the pipes and tobacco again right now and have the pipes that interest me.

Also, I’m enjoying the community of members here. ??
I was a little surprised at the community too

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I smoked a lot for a while. I liked this thing, and I got pleasure from the actions until a moment. I started having debates from sleep and having severe anxiety. This whole thing scared me, and I didn't know what to do, but I didn't want to quit smoking either. Then search the internet for helpful something I found oils that can relieve these disorders- [Removed Link] . Finally, after a while of using these oils, my desire to smoke disappeared. However, I noticed that I had to leave this thing for a long time because I was getting into more trouble and spending a lot of money.
If I understand, you felt your anxiety and not being able to sleep was from smoking?

I only smoke on the weekends presently and my use of tobacco is slowly decreasing as the newness wears off. I just want to enjoy it and know how for when it's right for me. I've learned much and have 12 good quality pipes and a couple of blends.

Because of a member here, I learned of Lampe Berger lamps and oils. I burn the lavender product.

I hope things work out and you discover a moderation that works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Drop a little in use your finger or tamper to help it settle. Stop at the slightest resistance. Repeat until you reach the level you want. Tamp only enough to keep it lit. This is too loose to stay lit without tamping. Works best with very dry tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.