PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I've tried many different pipe packing methods but for the past couple of months what seems to have great results no matter what type of tobacco is what I'm calling "roll, stack, and pack". I take a pinch of tobacco and roll it into a ball and drop it in. I take another pinch and stack it on top of the first "ball". Then on the third rolled "ball" I lightly pack. This has worked great for ribbon, flake, plug, and chunky cut tobacco. I'm no expert but it seems like it creates air pockets and produces a great burn. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Reactions: ChippewaAce and STP

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Worth a shot. I've been at this for a few years and still can't get it right. I took out stock in a butane factory I relight so damn much.

• Haha
Reactions: hauntedmyst

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
The "balls" of tobacco should be springy felling and puff up alittle when you load them. The last "ball" will be the one that your pack with medium pressure and you end up with a medium firm top and a nice breathing bowl that smokes great for me. Hard to explain it fully but hopefully you get the idea.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I guess one of the attractions of the pipe is that a smoker can make the process as simple of as complicated as one wishes. If the suggestion above gives one a satisfying smoke ... use it. I want a nice even burn, to the bottom, no pockets, so I'll pass.
Maybe air pockets is the wrong term. Idk. I have no problem smoking all the way down to ash with few relights. With over methods I seem I sometimes over pack and have to use my pick to get airflow or under pack and at getting bites of tobacco or ash in my mouth. For me the roll, stack, pack makes it very easy to duplicate.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Hi there That Guy, I used to do what you suggest with ribbon cut just to make it burn for longer.
But these days I just shove it in and it lasts just as long.
Maybe it's just that I've slowed down my cadence over time, less frantic, you know.

Reactions: That Guy

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Just a follow up on this post. I've been using this method for 3 or 4 months now and it's still working great. Honestly once I get my pipe lit I have not had a single relight until the very last tiny bit which I normally dump anyways. Haven't had to repack either. I think before I was definitely overpacking my pipe. I had tried several methods but couldn't get consistency. Maybe this will help someone if you have any questions about it feel free to message me.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon