PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
Hey Lads,
I have a question for any pipe smokers in Ottawa. Where do you guys purchase your Bacci from ? I have searched far and wide and have only found one place with a alright selection but nothing I was looking for.
Cheers

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
Welcome, Easy! There are a few of us here from the Ottawa area. The only place that I buy from is 4noggins. Give them a try, you will not be disappointed. As far as local shops, Ottawa Cigar Emporium seems to be the best place with the most stock, however..$$$. Cigar Man on Bank Street South (Southbank News) had an okay selection...that I could actually see. The shop is a mess though and I was put off because of it.
Shopping online is the only solution for me. What we would have to pay $30.00 for here, you can get for $8-10.00 online.

eazy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
Hello hemsworth, thanks for the reply. I completely agree I went to OCE a few times just to take a look and the cost of the tobacco was insane, what made it worse was i just came back from Italy ans the same tobacco's were half the price if not more.
How is the shipping at 4noggins?

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
Some argue that the cost of shipping from 4noggins is a little high but for me, it is worth it. I tend to order a pound or two at a time so it makes it very worthwhile.

eazy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
But when ordering a large quantity like that are you not dinged at customs?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hey Eazy, I'll also recommend Southbank News if you want to buy locally. Yes, the shop is a mess but I always looked at it as there's buried treasure. Lol. Ask the gent working to take a peek in the pipe tobacco cabinet and you'll find quite a bit of variety in there. Last time I was in, they still had pouches behind the cash too.
4noggins for online ordering if you go that route...solid choice!
Cheers from Kanata!

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Hey man!
Nice to see another fellow Ottawa hobbyist on the forum! Another good place with tons of selection is Comerfords on Bankand Albert. As far as price goes, you're not gonna find much difference buying locally. I am also a 4noggins fan. Never had one problem.
Cheers from Hintonburg!

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I live in Nepean. I have purchased from Eli(Cigar Man) at Southbank News, Comerford and Sons, and Ottawa Cigar Emporium, all of which are pricey. I have never ordered from 4 Noggins but I have ordered from Smokingpipes.com. Their prices are great and they have pretty much everything and the shipping is very reasonable. I always order in quantities that will not raise flags re customs and duty. Good to hear of so many other "bowlers" in the Nation's Capital.

monsterrod

Lurker
Aug 7, 2017
Hello, I am new to these forums and fairly new to smoking the pipe. I truly enjoy the full experience of it and was wondering if you all still feel the same about 4noggins considering these posts are 4 years old. I am from Ottawa and spending 35$ for a pouch of Borkum Riff is harsh and ridiculous.
Looking forward to your responses.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm in Toronto. We have a number of B&Ms here and, I do give them business for accessories and sometimes even pipes. Tobacco is another story though. Its not the fault of the stores, its the government that has taxed tobacco at such a high rate that makes it impossible for me to buy locally.
Example. I enjoy Mac Baren blends. Two tins, 100g each, land at my door from either 4noggins or Pipes & Cigars for a little under $50, including shipping and exchange rates. A single tin bought locally is $70. So, I give my $$$ to local pipe shops in the form of purchases for pipe cleaners, lighters, filters for my cob pipe etc. I think they have a much higher profit margin on those than tobacco.
Comparing the lowest cost shipping, 4noggins does charge a little more for shipping than Pipes & Cigars, but they provide a tracking number. Typical shipping times from either place for the lowest tier of shipping costs are about 10-14 days to Toronto. I've never had an issue with either place.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Montreal has Blatter and Blatter, make fine pipes, but tobacco is still taxed way high. I'd be tempted to drive to Cup o Joe's in an SUV.... (in the Adirondacks somewhere)

monsterrod

Lurker
Aug 7, 2017
Thank you guys.
Just order 3 tins (200grams total) from pipesmokers. Hopefully it makes it here without any crazy duty charges. On the plus side, I am heading to Texas next week and Ohio in September so I will certainly be brining back my max allotment with me both times.
Happy smoking!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Big Correction on my post......
I meant Smoking pipes.com NOT Pipes & Cigars.
I have never ordered from P&C and cannot comment on their service. My apologies

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
BassBug, next time, you're ordering from smokingpipes.com mind you checking out their Ups Supersaver shipping option,its very affordably priced method

sometimes in the future I gotta try this 4noggings although their standard shipping rates to continental eu is no less than$13

and any commerical delivery outside of the EU region which is ecxeeding the total value of $ 35 will get into hands our greedy customs,and then eventually you'll get notification that You are having a parcel which is to be cleared,This means +%25 added sales-tax calculated from grandtotal merchandise price-shipping incl.)have been doing this dance more than once-hundred times to be exact,,

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
paulie66,
Indeed, that is exactly the shipping method I chose with smokingpipes.com. It did save me a few dollars and the shipping time was very close to 4noggins.
I must say though, that 4noggins does have excellent customer service. I've had to call a couple of times after making a small error on my shipping address and both times I got an actual real person on the phone and my concern was addressed and resolved immediately. On my first order from smokingpipes.com I could not get anyone on the the phone to clarify the details of tracking numbers, but my e mail was answered promptly and in a very professional manner.
Overall, I have no hesitation to recommend either one of 4noggins.com or smokingpipes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.