PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My main rack is a Savinelli Burlwood 36 count rack. It has 3 holes per side so my pipes breath as they should. I traded the rack with a friend who owned a liquor store and was getting into cigars and pipes. He wanted Cuban cigars so bad that I traded a box of Trinidad Fundadores) Cuban) (my cost was 292.00 from Spain, the Spanish Pasetas was 181 to a US dollar) for his rack that retailed for over 2000.00. The glass on the doors is tinted which is a big deal. If you have vulcanite stems, sunlight is a killer. I have had it filled for over 20 years and it will stay that way for as long as I am still breathing.

I also have a 15 count rack with tinted glass doors and I am looking forward to filling that baby up.

Here is a stock picture of the Savinelli

Here is a pic of the wrack surrounded by another 50 pipes which I have sold recently.
I enjoy the fewer pipes as 90 odd pipes for me is just too many even though I smoke 3-5 bowls a day.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I keep mine in racks in an an office I share with my wife. You can smell pipes. I used to clean them so thoroughly each time I used them that it was not noticeable. I have become more relaxed and here we are. My wife doesn’t complain, I’ve asked her about it and she isn’t bothered. If it ever is an issue just do a warm water rinse. Smell will be minimal again.

Reactions: yanoJL
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I see some guys storing their pipes stem down. I'm kind'a paranoid about that habit.
And leaving pipe cleaners in them for too long, which I'm guilty of, because I'm always forgetting about them.
What's other's opinions on the two points I make?
puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see some guys storing their pipes stem down.
If you run a pipe cleaners down them and wipe out the chamber with a paper towel, there's not going to be any moisture to dry as briar is extremely resistant to absorption. I don't use rests at all and have no issue.

And leaving pipe cleaners in them for too long
That's leaving something moist in the pipe that will attract bacteria and foul the pipe.

mtnbiker1185

Lurker
Jul 5, 2022
How do you guys store your pipes? I'm specifically asking due to the smell. I rotate through my pipes weekly, so all my pipes tend to have a tobacco smoke smell on them. I don't want to put them in an air-tight container as I want them to be able to properly rest and dry out.
I have been wondering this same thing as I am getting ready to move into a house I am renting and don't want the smell of my pipes to linger/impregnate into whatever room I am storing them in thus causing me to be charged a cleaning fee to get rid of the smell later.
I was keeping them in my gun safe, but it is going with my wife to a different state while I finish out my time in the service and now need to find a new way to store them that won't cause the room to smell like a tobacco pipe. It seems like the corks may be the way to go until I can build myself a pipe cabinet to store them in.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
My pipe "rack" is an open top carboard box in a small closet in the living room. My wife doesn't like the stale smell so I wipe them out with cheap rum on a paper towel each time.
I've found it keeps the taste fresh for me as well.

Reactions: yanoJL

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I can relate to this problem as my wife complained about the pipes smelling up the study which is next to our bedroom. To be clear, I smoke outdoors. I bought a bag of corks from Amazon. It works. The wife is happy and the smell is gone.View attachment 154573
My question regarding racks has always been does it lead to quicker oxidation of vulcanite stems? After smoking them, I clean them with a pipe cleaner, give them a coating of mineral oil overnight. In the morning, I buff them with a soft cloth and put them back in their bags to keep them out of the light.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
My question regarding racks has always been does it lead to quicker oxidation of vulcanite stems? After smoking them, I clean them with a pipe cleaner, give them a coating of mineral oil overnight. In the morning, I buff them with a soft cloth and put them back in their bags to keep them out of the light.
Your are correct. Even though no direct sun light gets to my pipes, the stems do oxidize quicker than if I had stored them in a drawer. I wipe mine down in mineral oil also which I believe slows down the process quite a bit.

Reactions: sparker69

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Bought an old wood secretary, removed the decorative wood glass dividers. Spray painted the cabinet and put UV film on the glass. Top holds currently used tobacco and such and the drawers hold my pipes, cleaning/restoration supplies and more tobacco. My wife really loves the smells of the tobacco storage area. Total investment was under $100.IMG_2783.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How do you guys store your pipes? I'm specifically asking due to the smell. I rotate through my pipes weekly, so all my pipes tend to have a tobacco smoke smell on them. I don't want to put them in an air-tight container as I want them to be able to properly rest and dry out.
Some in drawers, some in racks, some in cardboard boxes. Airtight would be a real mistake as you already have "odor issues". Many who now use the hot water flush to maintain their pipes report that they smell "fresh".