PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
How do you guys store your pipes? I'm specifically asking due to the smell. I rotate through my pipes weekly, so all my pipes tend to have a tobacco smoke smell on them. I don't want to put them in an air-tight container as I want them to be able to properly rest and dry out.

Reactions: kcghost

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
How do you guys store your pipes? I'm specifically asking due to the smell. I rotate through my pipes weekly, so all my pipes tend to have a tobacco smoke smell on them. I don't want to put them in an air-tight container as I want them to be able to properly rest and dry out.
I’m guessing most folks use a rack and don’t worry about the smell. If you’re worried about the smell just put your rack somewhere less conspicuous. I keep mine on top of my gun safe in my storage area.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
At the moment some are on a shelf in the closet, some are in a tub in the basement, some are on the counter in the kitchen/dining room, some are in a plastic container and one is in a leather roll up pouch. At said "storage" some are naked, some are in little cloth bags, some are wrapped in an old sweatshirt, some are in boxes or tubes. They all smell like tobacco.

Reactions: Akoni808

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I use a pipe rack. It’s hanging on the wall in my house next to the door leading to my car port. It’s what greets me when I come home. I’ve never noticed a strong smell emanating from the pipes but then again I smoke them multiple times a day so I myself probably smell like them a bit. But to be fair my wife has never complained about any smell so that has to say something. You definitely want them to air out and dry completely so I would advice you to find a spot that allows you to do so.

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I never thought that my pipes smell bad..They smell wonderful...I got them in several (25) different piperacks around me in my cabin in the shaded areas so sun or light from the bulbs cannot get the stems
I never thought my pipes smell bad either. I store them on an open shelf in my closet, and there was some concern of the smell leaching into clothes. Sounds like I just need to find the right area in the house to store them.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I made a rack from cherry wood for mine. Need to make another asap. But for the overflow and ones that don't fit on the rack, I use those little $1 pipe stands from SPC and line em up on a table in my tobacco area. This just occupies more room which is why I prefer a rack because you can stack them on top of one another
I also don't notice a smell in the room I store them in, but my smell also isn't overly sensitive

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Here is my 6-pipe rack with tobacco jar that is usually filled with the daily smoke.

I also like the $1 plastic pipe holders for a display (and usually have my daily pipe on display in it), but find that they take up more space that way and I'm working on some clutter issues at the moment.

Attachments

• 20220205_080821.jpg
    20220205_080821.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I can relate to this problem as my wife complained about the pipes smelling up the study which is next to our bedroom. To be clear, I smoke outdoors. I bought a bag of corks from Amazon. It works. The wife is happy and the smell is gone.View attachment 154573
Brilliant solution! I have all my pipes in racks over my desk in the bedroom. No odor either my wife or I can detect even working at the desk. But if my wife ever complains about the odor, I'm going to "put a cork in it."

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I have my pipes all over the house . I sometimes smoke indoors in the basement area. There is a large rotation between two cardboard boxes down there . plus I have 3 curio cabinets in the basement with no sunlight in which I used to do my rotation .

upstairs I have a pipe rack in my closet , I don’t mind any smell at all , I kind of like it . 653DB078-0331-4969-A4F5-0462B79C8C0D.jpeg

Reactions: yanoJL