PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
C859D834-9D6B-4592-AFC8-C0EB1E6CD905.jpegD54169EA-C4A3-43BB-95FD-E0D88F2C6AD5.jpeg
My wife and I found an old mid-century jewelry chest that I use. Each of the 4 drawers up top have room for a single (disassembled) pipe, and all 4 remaining drawers have room for 3-4 pipes offset, as well as bags of bulk tobacco, lighters, etc. As far as smell, the wood lets off a very defined “old” smell that reminds me of books and leather, and it covers any scent from my recently-smoked pipes. I do like to keep a jar of bulk aromatic or two up top to sweeten the scent though.

bwfh

Lurker
Aug 12, 2022
Denver, CO
I shared this in a previous post. I store my pipes in two different vintage suitcases converted into pipe storage. I have stored my pipes like this for the past 4-5 years with no issues. No odors either.

View attachment 160589

May I ask what you are using for the pressure clips (source or link please)? I bought some similar clips on Amazon designed for fishing rods, but they're a bit too large inside diameter for some of my pipes, so curious what you are using here? Nice setup!
Thanks!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m guessing most folks use a rack and don’t worry about the smell. If you’re worried about the smell just put your rack somewhere less conspicuous. I keep mine on top of my gun safe in my storage area.
i leave them out unless it smoked cigar leaf. my gf likes the smell except cigar leaf. lat bombs are aok as are dark fired or semeios. but cigar leaf gets banished to the craft room for the night. oh and that one briarworks aromatic flake with chocolate and port. that one she says smells like cigs. that is one of the most three star blends not bad not great would smoke a free jar of it but not buying it again

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
May I ask what you are using for the pressure clips (source or link please)? I bought some similar clips on Amazon designed for fishing rods, but they're a bit too large inside diameter for some of my pipes, so curious what you are using here? Nice setup!
Thanks!
Apologies for missing this previously. Here is a link to the clips:

Reactions: bwfh
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have several large and small Decatur racks, one I had made by JIEZAOWOODstudio (on Etsy)—these days, I usually buy ProSource 18 Piece Sunglass Eyewear Eye Wear Display Tray Case Stands:

ProSource-18-01.jpg

ProSource-18-02.jpg
ProSource-18-03.jpg
ProSource-18-04.jpg

I'm slowly separating pipes by marque and storing them in these boxes. They're handy in that they can be set up as a stand to display for easy access, and closed up for storage. More traditionally shaped pipes of average size fit easily, larger bent and long not so much.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have several large and small Decatur racks, one I had made by JIEZAOWOODstudio (on Etsy)—these days, I usually buy ProSource 18 Piece Sunglass Eyewear Eye Wear Display Tray Case Stands:

View attachment 176396

View attachment 176397
View attachment 176398
View attachment 176399

I'm slowly separating pipes by marque and storing them in these boxes. They're handy in that they can be set up as a stand to display for easy access, and closed up for storage. More traditionally shaped pipes of average size fit easily, larger bent and long not so much.

Honestly, this is smarter. I generally to overdo things and often work "harder than smarter".

EDIT: I am having fun so there is that... BUT vintage suitcases are stupid expensive... fair warning this is a very expensive project for that reason alone.

• Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

View attachment 176396

View attachment 176397
View attachment 176398
View attachment 176399

I saw the glasses display case as an idea somewhere (likely another thread) and wondered if anyone used it. They seem reasonably priced, practical, and a space saver (like under the bed).

Glad it is working for you.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Half of them are piled in a somewhat orderly fashion in a large ashtray that I don't use as an ashtray, and the others are hanging on a pegboard from wire cradles I make from coated copper wire I was gifted in a giant spool. If I didn't have the wire, I'd buy some fishing rod clasps on the said peg board. I do have one cob I only use for Big N' Burley and Picayune that I put in a plastic container with the lid just resting on top of it. That cob can stink a little, particularly from the Big N' Burley.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
When we moved to our current house, my lovely and supportive wife carved out some space to display my pipes and related paraphernalia:

pipe_storage.jpg

There is definitely a light smell as you walk by, but I keep on top of cleaning them so that it's a pleasant one.