Pipe Smoking Study, It Doesn't Look Good.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I vote in all elections on every level. Many people have given up quite a lot for you to have the opportunity and privilege to inform yourself, and exercise influence over your own government.

I'm sure others view that differently and that's fine.

Mar 1, 2014
...what would be the loss to humanity? Having more money in ones pocket is usually thought to be a positive. Less sickness, more dependable employees, longer lives for some, higher resale value for homes and automobiles, are all good things.

Warren you could not possibly be more wrong. Your statements here are well beyond hyperbole and you an utter hypocrite.
Less sickness? More dependable employees?
Clearly your motivation here is nothing but slander, this is FUD at it’s worst.
Welcome to the Ignore list.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Warren you could not possibly be more wrong. Your statements here are well beyond hyperbole and you an utter hypocrite.
Less sickness? More dependable employees?
Clearly your motivation here is nothing but slander, this is FUD at it’s worst.
Welcome to the Ignore list.
Oh No, Warren! The Ignore list! What are you gonna do!?!?!?!?!?!?

I haven't "known" Warren long, and we don't always see eye to eye either, but I've known him long enough to know that he won't give two shits about this, haha. Especially after being called a hypocrite for expressing an opinion he is completely entitled to have.

This was a great thread for the most part. A lot of engaging discourse....for the most part. Hope this doesn't end up an IBTL post.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Slander? Who have I slandered? If I have slandered someone I suspect I'll be hearing from their attorney.

Hypocrite? Me? I beg to differ. In what way am I a hypocrite. Oh, I forgot you've sworn off my posts. You really need to look up definitions before using polysyllabic words.

Insurance studies, believe them or not they do exist and are used for hiring practices, show smokers as being less dependable with regard to attendance. This is why many job applicants lie about smoking habits and ask, on this forum sometimes, how long it takes nicotine to leave ones system.

I suppose if you cannot refute, using terms you do not understand and disassembling is the only alternative left for you.

I'm typing a response which will never reach the target. Hah!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Insurance studies, believe them or not they do exist and are used for hiring practices, show smokers as being less dependable with regard to attendance.

I do have to wonder if there are some extraneous variables there, correlation vs. causation, etc.

Type of tobacco use, frequency, overall age, socioeconomic/education status, use of other substances, job field, etc. come to mind off the top...

I guess correlation is correlation, FWIW, but knowing nothing about the studies my interest is piqued.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The studies are why insurance companies will reduce premiums for companies who ask about smoking habits and either refuse to engage the smokers services or, steer the applicant to programs to assist them in stopping smoking. Before anyone asks, I haven't seen what the cutoff may be when determining if an occasional pipe smoker, say one bowl a week, is judged a smoker and therefore, a risk. I suspect the insurance companies use a very liberal definition to classify people and that it varies from company to company. So far courts have upheld such discrimination as it is well supported by health and performance data.

I believe the Municipality of Anchorage is an employer which fights shy of "smokers." Not sure if it is policy or simply a "leaning." Smoking, as opposed to alcoholism, is not considered a disease and isn't protected behavior by the government. The Armed Forces are struggling mightily to eliminate smoking. Many private employers will no longer hire smokers. Some companies have two tiered insurance program for employees, a lower rate for non-smokers with smokers paying a higher premium.

We smokers pay all sorts of penalties these days.

And please guys, leave marijuana out of this discussion. Two entirely different subjects not analgous at all..

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, from an insurance pricing standpoint it obviously makes sense. I am more curious about the employee reliability statistics. And yes, I can tell you first hand their definition of smoking tends to be any use at all in any form whatsoever.......at least when it comes to pricing.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Smoking, as opposed to alcoholism, is not considered a disease
I don't know why. They are both DSM 5 disorders with pretty similar diagnostic criteria.

Off paper, In reality though, this perception is likely a result of the more immediate and obvious damage alcohol dependence can create.

Status
Not open for further replies.