Pipe Smoking Study, It Doesn't Look Good.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would argue smoking a pipe on occasion keeps me and a number of people who agitate me alive. Still, good science is nice to find in this day and age.
reminds me of on time I was smoking cigs and someone I didn't know started giving me a lecture on the dangers of smoking. I told them it was a hell of a lot safer then not learning to mind ones own business. I was in a shitty mood that day. Normally when people give me that speech I just act shocked and ask if they're sure and why if it's true not everyone knows that.

Reactions: yuda and didimauw

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
reminds me of on time I was smoking cigs and someone I didn't know started giving me a lecture on the dangers of smoking. I told them it was a hell of a lot safer then not learning to mind ones own business. I was in a shitty mood that day. Normally when people give me that speech I just act shocked and ask if they're sure and why if it's true not everyone knows that.
Careful: in the current environment that can get you arrested and charged with a felony: issuing death threats. ?

But you reminded me of a former classmate who used to say when people were starting to get on his nerves, "you know, teeth don't fall off because of old age".

Mar 1, 2014
I have not, and would not disagree with this. It would probably reduce use. How much? I have no idea. And neither do you. My initial response to your post supporting an "outright ban on cigarettes." was simply making the point that cigarettes will not go away simply because packs of filters are eliminated. As I said in that post, as long as shag cuts or plugs exist, or any form of tobacco, really, so will cigarettes. You replied to that post, saying that this was "Wrong." And now here we are.

You may be able to limit the proliferation of cigarettes in society with a ban on filters (maybe, we'll likely never know), but they are not going to disappear simply because filters are banned. Regardless of how it came to be, far more people (at least in the united states) use cigarettes than any other form of tobacco. Limiting them to RYO may reduce that number, but it certainly would not eliminate them. And as long as those people keep smoking some form of cigarette, younger generations will probably continue do the same.

To be clear, I would also love to see cigarettes go away, I am not arguing against that, I am just making the point that if such a thing were to happen (it likely won't) we should have realistic expectations for the result. I think pre-1900s levels is probably an unrealistic expectation, since they are already so prolific, but we can agree to disagree on that point, neither one of us will be able to empirically support what amounts to pure speculation on that note, the data simply doesn't exist.

Yes, that was my only point in my initial response to your ban on cigarettes post. Fully agree.

I hate to open another can of worms, but do you have a citation for anything supporting the statement that tobacco is enjoyed responsibly by the overwhelming majority? I'd love to read it....

Cigarettes are already obsolete, this is the last generation that will smoke coffin nails.
That’s why I’ve got such a sense of urgency here, the clock is ticking and the window of opportunity may not be long before no-one even cares enough about Cigarettes to voice any concern over a total ban of all things Tobacco, or even if there is no ban society in general might just practically reject Tobacco entirely in favour of other mechanisms, which could actually be worse for everyone.
Moderate Pipesmoking avoids addiction, the proliferation of safer Nicotine delivery devices only makes chemical addiction even more readily available. I suppose the fact that people won’t be dying en-masse from the effects makes it relatively acceptable in comparison, but people are still slaving their minds to a substance regardless of your method of delivery.

The total ban of Tobacco would be less healthy for society than the promotion of moderate Tobacco consumption as a leisure activity.

Tobacco Pipes are one of the only use cases for Tobacco where Nicotine is not the main focus, it is a side effect, but not necessarily an effect that everyone even likes to have.
The perception of Tobacco in society is rapidly changing, the question is how many people are aware of Moderate Pipesmoking as a reasonable leisure activity?
Most people whether they’re radical anti-smoking or actively smoke Cigarettes view all Tobacco as the same thing.
If Tobacco were Alcohol, society right now would be full of people who have only ever used Alcohol to get drunk and have never even thought of the possibility of Alcohol being used in any way other than getting totally wasted.

Pipesmoking “can be” a drug delivery system, the same as people can get drunk on wine, but most people would say you’re doing it wrong in that case.
We need to create that cultural trend for Tobacco.

In the absence of the global Cigarette crisis a moderate perception could be cultivated naturally over a long period of time (and that probably is the culture that prevailed pre-1900’s), but right now there’s a lot of people looking to make drastic changes while having no consideration for use cases outside the problem area.
The public mind needs some sort of official flag to separate appropriate and inappropriate use of Tobacco.

If all at once the Cigarette smokers reject Tobacco because of better alternatives for getting Nicotine and all the anti-smokers just claim that as a victory of their lifelong goal of the elimination of Smoking, it could send Tobacco into state of such cultural rejection that there’s no telling how long it would take to bring Pipesmoking back into relative acceptance.
Or, people could take a specific stand against Cigarettes, and allow Tobacco to continue on as one of many potential ways for adults to enrich their lives.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Like the signs in gas stations that say you can't buy tobacco if you are born after this day in 2001 etc, they should stop changing the date. No more new smokers allowed, and leave us grandfathered in.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
The tried version of Prohibition did not work out so well.
I would assume “tobacco prohibition” would not work out so well either. But the ensuing years would be difficult.
Stock up on 13 years worth of you favorite blends! Puff ?

Reactions: alaskanpiper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"The tried version of Prohibition did not work out so well."

Of course it didn't. Can you guess what is really different today? Here's a hint: Prohibition was forced on the country while a vast majority, Baptists included, loved their booze.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
"The tried version of Prohibition did not work out so well."

Of course it didn't. Can you guess what is really different today? Here's a hint: Prohibition was forced on the country while a vast majority, Baptists included, loved their booze.

I must concede that you make lots of good points throughout the thread, and I think I understand what you're getting at about how the decision has been made, and science isn't really relevant at this point. The debate about tobacco is over.

However, the counterpoint is that tobacco is just one of those things that people use once it's introduced, like alcohol, coffee, and tea. Sure, tobacco seems to be on its way to being banned or greatly restricted for now in most Western countries, but certainly not world wide. Do you really think that the anti-tobacco hysterics will last long after tobacco use in the West dwindles down to almost nothing? And that it won't ever be reintroduced from places where it remains popular?

By way of comparison, there are places where you used to get the death penalty for drinking coffee. Tea has been banned in various places at various times. Now alcohol is banned in a lot of Islamic countries, and the bans have popular support. There is no indication of any of those restrictions loosening up in many of these places. Yet I think it's safe to say that alcohol prohibition in those countries will only last as long as the cultural motivation for the ban, and that there is a certain inevitability that eventually, in the long run, alcohol restriction will eventually loosen up in these places because the level of restriction is irrational, and because people like using it. Similarly in Western countries, a significant part of the population still smokes tobacco despite the "if you smoke you'll SURELY DIE" campaigns we see everywhere. This alone speaks volumes about people's enjoyment of tobacco. Hell, like 30% of adults in France are smokers even today.

In the long run, banning tobacco use is about as useful as banning alcohol, coffee, or tea. It's just not practical, and people are going to use it anyway. Also, in the long run, truth tends to prevail, and the truth will come out that moderate tobacco usage (especially without inhaling) isn't really all that harmful as compared to many other more accepted activities, and the irrationality will die down.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like to think of prohibition in these times as well. Think of all the other things that are or have been illegal or banned. Those terms don't always mean impossible to aquire, or permanently gone. People find and get what people want.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Just to be clear, coffee, booze, tea,and other items are not deplored by society in general. We are talking about tobacco specifically. Tobacco is objected to by what appears to be a large majority of the population.

I'm not one of those semi-hysterical "the sky is falling!" believers. I've never believed nor suggested tobacco use will be banned. The monetary benefits at various governments levels is impressive. Governments enjoy the tax revenue and smokers seem fairly unaffected by the taxes, shelling out more and more moneys as the taxes rise.

It's gonna take real money to enjoy some tobacco products in the near future. Cigarettes being relegated to the less affluent. Pipe smokers are a negligible percent of society and we find ourselves virtually ignored in the larger discussion. So we and the cigar smokers will be paying more and more as long as we willingly go along with the tax increases. Which we do of course. None of us consider quitting because of cost. We bitch, we smoke less, we seek out bargains and do whatever else it takes to feed our vice/habit/diversion or whatever you wish to call it.

But, as witnessed here fairly often, even the dilettantes who only enjoy a bowl what ... once a decade? month? or whatever ... moan and groan about the taxes but, they do pay them. No, tobacco isn't going to be made illegal. Not in the foreseeable future anyway. Even if it were, what would be the loss to humanity? Having more money in ones pocket is usually thought to be a positive. Less sickness, more dependable employees, longer lives for some, higher resale value for homes and automobiles, are all good things.

Tobacco use is a selfish decision and only those of us who smoke care about the future of tobacco use. Well, there are the growers, producers and retailers. But only a small contingent of society will suffer any consequences.

Reactions: lawdawg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Also, in the long run, truth tends to prevail

So I've heard...but that is apparently a very long run. Truth makes too many people uncomfortable. Most prefer television.

I've been waiting for truth to prevail about a lot of things...and I've given up seeing any of it in my lifetime.

But eventually perhaps...only when God decides enough is enough I suspect.

Tobacco use is a selfish decision

So are ice cream, french fries and soda pop. You want to see some real hysteria...try raising the taxes sky-high on that shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual

Davesax1965

Lurker
Sep 30, 2019
Macclesfield
You might as well smoke, the air's polluted, anyway/

I'm 54, I had a surprise stroke at 50 totally unrelated to lifestyle - had an accident and damaged a blood vessel in my neck. One stroke later, fully recovered now but my attitude is that life is finite, you never know what's around the corner, so you might as well enjoy yourself - "everything in moderation" - including moderation.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
"So are ice cream, french fries and soda pop. You want to see some real hysteria...try raising the taxes sky-high on that shit."

Not sure as to the equivalency. Soda pop has come under fire in some jurisdictions though. Some people swooned, ran in circles and peed themselves but, certain of the bans are in still in place. Iced cream and fries? Are under fire in some cites or towns I suppose and the public either accepts or rejects. Spciety has fairly well rejected tobacco use in public while gleefully accepting the taxes we smokers continue to pay. The public relies on smokers for our unfailing willingness, grudging as it is, to continue to smoke and pay the tax. Smokers seem to relish being reliable income sources for municipalities and certain states. Granted tobacco usage sometimes falls but, by and large, revenues are dependable. I facitiously ask some, "What will the children do if I stop smoking?" The answer, life will go on and no one will notice.

Who's the dummies? We who pay the taxes and smoke? Or, those who enjoy the programs funded by we poor, ignored smokers? If one is simply going to suck it up, vent on the computer and pay the taxes, life will be good for the tax collectors and spenders.

My observation is, many smokers are embarrassed by their vice and hesitate to appear in city council /assembly meetings to voice opposition to tax increases. I also suspect many smokers are not voters. Non voters and non-supporters can usually be safely ignored by politicians. I doubt many pipe smokers pay any attention to election cycles. I make that observation based on the surprise many here voice when taxes are raised or restrictions are put into place, usually after a few public hearings usually required to be announced in local newspapers well in advance.

My old B&M always had predominantly posted the City Council adgenda. Tobacco related subjects were always highlighted. We managed to defer some taxes by getting blends exempted once or twice. But, the majority usually won out in the long term. We even managed to have tobacco shops exempted from the "no-smoking" in public businesses. For an obvious "no brainer" that discussion was sometimes acrimonious.

Status
Not open for further replies.