Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I haven’t hunted in about six years but I used to smoke a pipe and stalk deer all the time. Although I always try to stay downwind, I have been amazed at the deer that have come in while I was smoking a pipe.

I remember one time I was stalking a big doe. It was slow going and she seemed to always be one giant step ahead. I couldn’t hear her but the tracks told the story. I gave up and sat down to smoke a pipe full. I was about a quarter the way through the bowl and <SNAP>. I looked up and there she was staring at me-staring at her. Before I could get the rifle up she bounded away in two leaps. I no more than got settled back in with my pipe cursing that I was caught unprepared and I heard the BOOM of my brothers rifle. He wasn’t so distracted as I was and got her from his stand.

I can’t prove a thing but I am now convinced that they were all curious as to the scent of the pipe tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have not shot Elk in years. You would think with extended family in Finland I would be spending my winters sitting in the shooting stands!

Gary Pressman

Lurker
Dec 27, 2020
Hi there. I worked for many years in Africa as a hunting guide and often a pipe would be lit to check wind direction whilst stalking and also theoretically to mask human scent. Also just before a follow up on a wounded animal we would smoke for a while to give the animal time to "stiffen up" before we commenced tracking. Also after a long hunt, succesful stalk and a pefect kill, the lighting of the pipe amongst the trackers and hunters was almost de-rigeur....Campfires and pipes just go so well together... I could go on...

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
The most effectiive way to hunt deer is to hunt with the wind, that being said smoking a pipe in your stand will alert the deer of your presence, you will be winded faster than if you weren't smoking. If it's a young deer, they are kinda stupid, curious, brash and not experienced enough to exercise the necessary caution, it may in fact bring a younger deer in closer to investigate the smoke. However a mature buck did not get that way by being stupid! If a mature buck smells that pipe smoke (or maybe cigarette smoke, dipping snuff, etc.), or anything that smells "off" or "different", then he's going to be outta there and probably long before you get eyes on him.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hunting this weekend here in KY, and I know there are a million stories of folks who have killed deer while freight train-ing cigarettes in the stand all day (along with our dads and grandpas who wore blue jeans and flannel - no camo!) but it got me thinking about bringing a cob into the stand with me as I sit/watch/wait...

Anyone have specific experience with smoking while hunting? Do you feel it's negligible (because, HUNT THE WIND) or that it makes a difference in some way? Clearly rifle/muzzleloading would have less effect than archery due to distances, but still I wonder.

I've heard many hunters say that sweet aromas would be more likely to draw deer in rather than spook them, so I'm considering an apple/maple blend and I'll be swimmin' in the venison! :ROFLMAO:
I’ve always wanted to pack a deep bowled pipe and puff the whole time but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t hurt my chances. Where I deer hunt I’m shootings deer within 100 yards, usually closer. However I think having a bowl packed and ready to light up as soon as that buck hits the ground would be a nice celebratory tradition. Good luck this season. I’ve got to get out to my hunting area this weekend and start some prepping for me and my 10 y/o. She got 2 deer last year 😍. I was soooo proud

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I smoke in the duck blind. Literally early morning pipe while waiting for first light. Officially first shots are 20 minutes before sunrise. By then I’ve had my coffee and a pipe and am settled in waiting….

Aug 20, 2022
No one can make definitive statements about deer. They're too fickle.

I have personally shot a deer at 20 yards with a pipe in my mouth. I had to move the pipe to the other side of my mouth to shoulder the gun. The deer came in with her nose in the air. It worked that time as a curiosity scent. Some hunters dab their boots with vanilla extract (which doesn't appear naturally in the deer's North American environment) for the same reason: curiosity.

My result may not be yours. For all I know, my pipe also spooked off a trophy buck that same morning. But just as I can't promise it will work as a lure, no one can promise that it will chase them off.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hunters often ask me can you smoke while deer hunting, and I always tell them NO. Smoking in the woods will spook deer and you should never do it.
Welcome jenifer! Are you both a pipe smoker and a hunter? Please introduce yourself.

Also to you and others new as well as to the fellow with a fantasy address:

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: OldVark

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I've killed deer in the woods with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth before. I'm also in the no camo club.. seems a lot like grown men playing dress up, to me.

It really depends on the deer.. Some deer are wilder than others. Maybe some people do have problems with deer smelling them. I've always fed mine enough corn so that they aren't so picky.

I've actually killed most of my deer at night from the comfort of a heated car.. Don't worry, I changed my ways after paying a 5000 dollar fine and earning a year of probation.. Took the fun right out of it.
Drive by hunting?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've killed deer in the woods with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth before. I'm also in the no camo club.. seems a lot like grown men playing dress up, to me.

It really depends on the deer.. Some deer are wilder than others. Maybe some people do have problems with deer smelling them. I've always fed mine enough corn so that they aren't so picky.

I've actually killed most of my deer at night from the comfort of a heated car.. Don't worry, I changed my ways after paying a 5000 dollar fine and earning a year of probation.. Took the fun right out of it.
Growing up deer were considered as vermin who ate alfalfa and were to be killed on sight.

My family has fought against the deer ever since the Missouri Department of Conservation reintroduced them just before WW2. The deer are winning.

My kids and some old family friends have up about a dozen and a half deer stands on the 300 acre main farm but I refuse to crawl up in a tree to shoot a deer. It’s a dangerous idea, it’s cold up there, and I sit on a flat rock in our 20 acres in Spout Spring Hollow and enjoy my pipe, and the woods, and maybe if a deer happens by I’ll shoot him.

My kids suspect I’m over in Spout Spring Hollow reliving a bunch of memories and I’m not trying to actually hunt.

So now and again I’ll shoot one to give to the renters who like deer.

But mostly, I like planning for the others who enjoy killing deer to hunt them.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Growing up deer were considered as vermin who ate alfalfa and were to be killed on sight.

My family has fought against the deer ever since the Missouri Department of Conservation reintroduced them just before WW2. The deer are winning.

My kids and some old family friends have up about a dozen and a half deer stands on the 300 acre main farm but I refuse to crawl up in a tree to shoot a deer. It’s a dangerous idea, it’s cold up there, and I sit on a flat rock in our 20 acres in Spout Spring Hollow and enjoy my pipe, and the woods, and maybe if a deer happens by I’ll shoot him.

My kids suspect I’m over in Spout Spring Hollow reliving a bunch of memories and I’m not trying to actually hunt.

So now and again I’ll shoot one to give to the renters who like deer.

But mostly, I like planning for the others who enjoy killing deer to hunt them.
Most of the old guys I hunted with, used hunting as an excuse for whisky in their coffee, and a woodland nap.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Most of the old guys I hunted with, used hunting as an excuse for whisky in their coffee, and a woodland nap.
Deer season affords me the perfect opportunity to buy a really good bottle of bourbon, take it over to deer camp, have one drink, visit with old friends, then get tired and have my youngest son drive the old man back to my camper.

I always forget my bottle and leave it.

It’s a half mile from my camper to deer camp.

I can see the fire, hear the laughter, and know my bottle is in good hands.

And I don’t ruin the fun, you know?

Besides, my reputation grows more with me gone than if I were there.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I smoke while fishin, but wouldn't smoke in my stand. I've smoked before a hunt (afternoon) but I wait until after a morning hunt to smoke, unless I'm just going out there to watch and not shoot. I smoke while bird hunting also. All just depends on my motive to be out there- going to observe or watch, or going for a kill.
Hell I wish I could smoke a bowl while sitting in my stand. That would be absolute perfection