Pipe Smoking in the Deer Stand...

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I haven’t hunted in about six years but I used to smoke a pipe and stalk deer all the time. Although I always try to stay downwind, I have been amazed at the deer that have come in while I was smoking a pipe.

I remember one time I was stalking a big doe. It was slow going and she seemed to always be one giant step ahead. I couldn’t hear her but the tracks told the story. I gave up and sat down to smoke a pipe full. I was about a quarter the way through the bowl and <SNAP>. I looked up and there she was staring at me-staring at her. Before I could get the rifle up she bounded away in two leaps. I no more than got settled back in with my pipe cursing that I was caught unprepared and I heard the BOOM of my brothers rifle. He wasn’t so distracted as I was and got her from his stand.

I can’t prove a thing but I am now convinced that they were all curious as to the scent of the pipe tobacco.

condorlover1

Preferred Member
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have not shot Elk in years. You would think with extended family in Finland I would be spending my winters sitting in the shooting stands!

Gary Pressman

Dec 27, 2020
Hi there. I worked for many years in Africa as a hunting guide and often a pipe would be lit to check wind direction whilst stalking and also theoretically to mask human scent. Also just before a follow up on a wounded animal we would smoke for a while to give the animal time to "stiffen up" before we commenced tracking. Also after a long hunt, succesful stalk and a pefect kill, the lighting of the pipe amongst the trackers and hunters was almost de-rigeur....Campfires and pipes just go so well together... I could go on...

markthelad

Preferred Member
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
The most effectiive way to hunt deer is to hunt with the wind, that being said smoking a pipe in your stand will alert the deer of your presence, you will be winded faster than if you weren't smoking. If it's a young deer, they are kinda stupid, curious, brash and not experienced enough to exercise the necessary caution, it may in fact bring a younger deer in closer to investigate the smoke. However a mature buck did not get that way by being stupid! If a mature buck smells that pipe smoke (or maybe cigarette smoke, dipping snuff, etc.), or anything that smells "off" or "different", then he's going to be outta there and probably long before you get eyes on him.