PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I dont hunt but have a 12 pointer coming through every evening. I could take him from my deck. Hoping I can find some of his rack at some point if no one gets him.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me a pipe was always with me and indulged in by me while deer hunting. It always worked out fine for me. You hunt downwind from the deer, so I never thought of not having a pipe.

For me, pipes and deer hunting go hand-in-hand. And, truth-be-told.... hunting for me was always more about deer CAMP anyway.... drinking, smoking, playing cards.... just being casual and “free” to do whatever the hell seemed enjoyable.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Don’t smoke in the stand. You may kill one, sure, lots of guys have, but do they know whether a buck of a lifetime smelled that smoke and decided to take a detour instead? Big deer don’t get big by being stupid or nonchalant. Except in high-fence hunting resorts, but I have opinions about those anyway.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Don’t smoke in the stand. You may kill one, sure, lots of guys have, but do they know whether a buck of a lifetime smelled that smoke and decided to take a detour instead? Big deer don’t get big by being stupid or nonchalant. Except in high-fence hunting resorts, but I have opinions about those anyway.
Yeh, I was asked to help with a trophy buck genetics/culling program on one of those resorts. Nope.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I smoke in my stand. I don’t have the burning desire to kill them like I did in my younger days. Figure I’d give them another advantage. If they ignore my smoke, snoring, and music playing from my phone, then they are turned into sausage. Never had issues keeping the freezer full of deer sausage. My theory is if they wind you they win. No matter what you do for scent control.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
what you got a problem with places that are closer to a supermarket then a hunt? We've trained the animals to think you feed them with guns so they' put their stupid faces right up on your gun......

• Haha
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
what you got a problem with places that are closer to a supermarket then a hunt? We've trained the animals to think you feed them with guns so they' put their stupid faces right up on your gun......
I wonder if those places aren’t part of the reason for seeing more and more CWD in some areas, too. They pretty much provide a perfect spreading area for a prion.

Reactions: jmsmitty6

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
You'll probably get away with it for younger deer, but not a mature buck!
Like Country Bladesmith said " Big deer don’t get big by being stupid", I say those very same words to my kids every year (They're probably sick of hearing it).
Same goes for chewing/dipping snuff or cigarettes, if a mature buck gets wind of that , he's outta there!

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
Update: I hunted Friday evening and about 3/4 of the daylight hours on Saturday. Saturday morning and evening I smoked a bowl as I observed the deer woods from about 25 ft above the forest floor. Not only did I not see a mature buck, but didn't see anything other than birds, squirrels, and the occasional chipmunk. Verdict: Pipe Smoking DEFINITELY is to blame. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, I think the rut hit a bit earlier in KY this year than I would have preferred. Oh well...that's why I have a crossbow and compound bow too! ?

Reactions: jmsmitty6

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Yeh, they act all tough, but the moment you have a rifle in your hand... poof... they're gone.
My buddy went on safari in South Africa with some rich friends. While they were hunting big $$$ game, he got a $50 baboon permit. Talk about disappearing just as soon as they saw a rifle.... His stories were hilarious. He was surrounded, and never ever got close to a shot. Haha!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Come and hunt on my land if you're worried about it. The deer here act all tough and aren't afraid of anything, which makes me think they're tougher than me, which makes me afraid to shoot them. They tear up the trees near my house while looking at me like "what you are you gonna do about it." If I send the dog out they just do that cough/hack noise and lazily walk back to the forest.

I don't want to start an inter-species war. They give me that look like "if you shoot at me, you better kill me."
You need tougher dogs. By BIL runs GP guardian dogs with 1000s of sheep. Some hunters made the mistake of chasing a mule deer into the sheep herd when they were shipping, and the four GP tore the deer apart and ate it in front of everyone. They wouldn't normally do it, but anything that runs into the sheep is a goner... Apparently the hunters were quite wide-eyed!

Our GP was a just killed by a pair of wolves skulking around here. And that dog hasn't lost a bear fight or a mountain lion fight yet. He was just protecting the sheep.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've killed deer in the woods with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth before. I'm also in the no camo club.. seems a lot like grown men playing dress up, to me.

It really depends on the deer.. Some deer are wilder than others. Maybe some people do have problems with deer smelling them. I've always fed mine enough corn so that they aren't so picky.

I've actually killed most of my deer at night from the comfort of a heated car.. Don't worry, I changed my ways after paying a 5000 dollar fine and earning a year of probation.. Took the fun right out of it.
Maybe just me, but I don't understand why shooting from a car should necessitate a 5000 dollar fine.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Maybe just me, but I don't understand why shooting from a car should necessitate a 5000 dollar fine.

It was 3 fines in total.. They say they did me a favor by not banning me from hunting, or taking my gun and/or truck. They used a helicopter to catch me, videoed me shining my headlights on a few fields and sent a game warden task force of 3 suvs to swarm me.. They didn't see me shoot any deer, but a lawyer would cost as much as the fine.. plus I was guilty. Hey, live and learn.. They let me plead "youthful offender" so it wouldn't give me a criminal record. I had only been 18 for a couple of months, my dad was pissed.. and I felt like an ass. So I never did that again. It does seem a little extreme, especially considering the danger deer cause on our highways.

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
It was 3 fines in total.. They say they did me a favor by not banning me from hunting, or taking my gun and/or truck. They used a helicopter to catch me, videoed me shining my headlights on a few fields and sent a game warden task force of 3 suvs to swarm me.. They didn't see me shoot any deer, but a lawyer would cost as much as the fine.. plus I was guilty. Hey, live and learn.. They let me plead "youthful offender" so it wouldn't give me a criminal record. I had only been 18 for a couple of months, my dad was pissed.. and I felt like an ass. So I never did that again. It does seem a little extreme, especially considering the danger deer cause on our highways.

I used to hunt on a large farm on the eastern short of Virginia, and the "regulars" out there would often use the headlight trick and drop does with muzzleloaders. The first time I witnessed it I was aghast, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I wondered why it struck me as unethical. I've come to the point where I feel that a landowner should be able to do whatever they desire on their own land...or not. I wouldn't endorse this on public lands of course, but private ownership is a different ballgame IMO.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I used to hunt on a large farm on the eastern short of Virginia, and the "regulars" out there would often use the headlight trick and drop does with muzzleloaders. The first time I witnessed it I was aghast, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I wondered why it struck me as unethical. I've come to the point where I feel that a landowner should be able to do whatever they desire on their own land...or not. I wouldn't endorse this on public lands of course, but private ownership is a different ballgame IMO.

It's kind of unfair.. They really do freeze when the lights hit them, and if they do run.. like if you miss, you can flash the lights and refreeze them. People refer to this trick, around here, as spotlighting, but the headlights work best in my experience. Our deer are not in anyway endangered, population wise.

But, when you start talking about fair and unfair... there's not much sport in sitting in a shooting house over a pile of corn, with a 7mm magnum, taking a 40 yard shot, either.. and that's perfectly legal.

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
It's kind of unfair.. They really do freeze when the lights hit them, and if they do run.. like if you miss, you can flash the lights and refreeze them. People refer to this trick, around here, as spotlighting, but the headlights work best in my experience. Our deer are not in anyway endangered, population wise.

But, when you start talking about fair and unfair... there's not much sport in sitting in a shooting house over a pile of corn, with a 7mm magnum, taking a 40 yard shot, either.. and that's perfectly legal.

I happily hunt over bait (legal in KY). I just wish it was easier. Haha.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
A landowner can pretty much do what they want on their own land. We have had deer tags year-round on our land when we farmed. There are a large number of reasons why you are not allowed to hunt from your car, using a spotlight, etc. But for the sake of not starting this debate, google is your friend if so interested.

Also, who the hell needs to shoot a baboon? It is not going to be eaten. They are, in areas where they are not acclimated to man, poor sport as they will walk right up to your vehicle. So what is the sport? Challenge? I effing hate big game hunters that are not interested in meat for food. Let's see, me and a high-powered rifle with a scope that is capable of shooting a gnat off of a log at 200meters vs an animal with no food value but that might look pretty on the wall. A total lack of integrity and ethics. I hunt and my family hunts...for food. And if we take a trophy while doing so, all the better. But the goal is always the meat in the freezer. We do not need a stuffed head on the wall to verify our virility and the size of our balls.