Pipe Smoking in the Deer Stand...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Come and hunt on my land if you're worried about it. The deer here act all tough and aren't afraid of anything, which makes me afraid to shoot them. They tear up the trees near my house while looking at me like "what you are you gonna do about it." If I send the dog out they just do that cough/hack noise and lazily walk back to the forest.
Yeh, they act all tough, but the moment you have a rifle in your hand... poof... they're gone.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Come and hunt on my land if you're worried about it. The deer here act all tough and aren't afraid of anything, which makes me think they're tougher than me, which makes me afraid to shoot them. They tear up the trees near my house while looking at me like "what you are you gonna do about it." If I send the dog out they just do that cough/hack noise and lazily walk back to the forest.

I don't want to start an inter-species war. They give me that look like "if you shoot at me, you better kill me."
I have stepped out of the front door and had a buck stare me down

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
Come and hunt on my land if you're worried about it. The deer here act all tough and aren't afraid of anything, which makes me think they're tougher than me, which makes me afraid to shoot them. They tear up the trees near my house while looking at me like "what you are you gonna do about it." If I send the dog out they just do that cough/hack noise and lazily walk back to the forest.

I don't want to start an inter-species war. They give me that look like "if you shoot at me, you better kill me."

I'm game!

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I remember my grandfather's hunting team back in the 80s, those guys smoked like chimneys while hunting moose and deer. They claimed the tobacco scent unlike human scent did not scare the animals.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's family are farmers and deer hunting is an important food source, stored in freezer lockers in town. They also have a system of sharing meat with families in need, since you aren't allowed to store beyond the limit from year to year. Since the population of people has thinned, the population of deer has exploded, and causes some hazard to drivers. Humans are the only predators left, so the deer are everywhere, up there in northeast Missouri.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
My buddy and I were grouse hunting in PA during the rut. He was pushing a cover to my right and I heard him say my name and that he has a problem. I said what now? He said he has a buck staring at him and won’t move. It’s not afraid of me and he’s pawing at the ground. I said if he charges shoot. Well it false charged him and he took off running. He never fired his gun, he was scared shitless. I’ve never had a deer do that to me and I’ve spent my entire life in the woods.

• Wow
Reactions: SoliDeoGloria

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I take a pipe with me when I am elk hunting. I don’t walk and smoke, but rather when I stop for coffee or eat some lunch I’ll light up while watching a trail or meadow. When I do, I do pay attention to the direction of the wind and make sure that I am downwind from where I want to take a shot. I also will smoke a pipe while fly fishing. The great outdoors with a pipe is something special!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my neighborhood deer seems to think that if he doesn't move I can't see him. Like it's running through some yards making a ton of noise gets into my line of sight and just freezes until I'am out of sight. I think there is something wrong with that one if I'am honest.

Reactions: Swampy16

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unless I'm stalking something really shy and I'm wearing a ghillie suit, I smoke. Pipes or cigarettes, doesn't matter. In areas where the wildlife is more or less inured to humans I find smoking isn't a problem. But, if I have to mask my smell and body lines, no smoking. So, smoking in a deer stand shouldn't prevent the pipe.

I'm told by a cousin, an avid deer hunter, that they only seem to be hard to find during hunting season. He said it's like they send out a "Code Red" or something. Off season he said all you need is a car, evening light and a bit of bad luck.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"City moose", those out and about in the city are inured to everything human. Get out in the bush and if your on two legs, that'll spook most of them. On horse back a moose will just star and go back to browsing, Just like cattle. Critters on two legs can spook 'em.. Critters on four legs well, I suppose they think they belong. I've also found a brazen noisy approach often works where a stealthy approach will spook 'em. Just gotta figger it out at the time. With bears try to figger right on the first approach. Same during the rut.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have never used camo for hunting. And I have killed my fair share of deer. As for smoking...nope. No way. Deer will spook on any odd smell, much less one that they might associate with humans...burning tobacco. And as for sweet smells attracting deer....maybe not.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think I recall our dear friend and seasoned hunter @alaskanpiper mentioning in another thread that he doesn't smoke when hunting moose as to not scare off the animals with the smell.
Yep. Not worth the risk. As warren said, moose in town aren’t scared of shit, but once you’re in the bush all it takes is a foreign smell, a foreign noise, or a couple seconds of not being able to tell what you are and they’re outta there.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule but I try to eliminate every risk I can control. Which at the end of the day sometimes ain’t many ?

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
My Grandfather swore that deer were attracted to the smell of Half & Half and he usually had a pipe going while on stand. He was a very successful hunter, so he might have been on to something.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve never done it and I really doubt I will. It can’t help, and I bet on most occasions it could hurt. That being said, I’ve gotten away with all kinds of movement and inadvertent noise in a blind with no response from deer within 25 yards or closer, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it just didn’t matter.

A duck blind, however, is a great place for a pipe.