PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
As the boys said for some of us it is, and for some of us it ain't. For a few tobaccos I must be sure to have just eaten. HH Rustica on an empty stomach is really bad for me.
I have a pretty solid nicotine tolerance and like a big bowl of something strong in the morning when satisfying my caffeine and nicotine addictions... But like others have said, it really depends... I can't always get away with big bowls of high octane stuff outside of that first pipe of the morning. I just got my ass kicked by a bowl of HH Rustica in an Ashton with a 1.66" x .76" chamber. Too much for me tonight. Had to abort with probably 15% or so remaining. I usually smoke these types of blends in medium sized or smaller chambers after the morning.

I would definitely recommend using smaller chambers for more powerful blends instead of skipping them entirely. Don't be afraid to try the heavy hitters, just smoke smaller bowls or for shorter sessions until you know you can handle more. Many of the strongest blends tend to taste better in medium or or smaller sized pipes in my experience as well.

On the flipside, I really love a nice, long smoke of a Latakia blend some evenings. For me, these blends tend to be full of flavor but low in nicotine. Perfect for packing a huge bowl and enjoying everything they have to offer.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
There is no relationship between pipes and the tobacco smoked in them. It's ridiculous to say there is as the subjective world of pipe smoking can make no comment on objective fact. Others will say the opposite, but they are full of hooey. The pipe you choose to smoke depends on the bowl size you select for the length of time you choose to smoke. Shape is also irrelevant other than what shape you choose to smoke.

You can learn a lot from the forums, but take care that you use your own experience in smoke to decode which are true and which false.
I heard they only started making Dublin chambers after the Potato Famine, just to stick it to them uppity English shape charts.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You'll get tons of different answers and logic to support those answers. I think most people prefer either a small or larger bowl, one of the other. Not to say some don't like a variety depending upon whatever factors they deem as relevant. It's whatever you prefer that matters. I prefer small to medium bowls. .75 to .80 ID. I have a few larger pipes but rarely reach for them. I don't really care to ponder the reasons why, I just know what I like.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You'll get tons of different answers and logic to support those answers. I think most people prefer either a small or larger bowl, one of the other. Not to say some don't like a variety depending upon whatever factors they deem as relevant. It's whatever you prefer that matters. I prefer small to medium bowls. .75 to .80 ID. I have a few larger pipes but rarely reach for them. I don't really care to ponder the reasons why, I just know what I like.
Size definitions are subjective as well. My idea of a desirable small pipe may seem mammoth to another. My ideal chamber dimensions are 2"x.80"

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi All. I am at the stage where I am exploring different tobaccos. My favorite so far is Royal Yacht. But when I smoked in in a big ol Lorenzo pot, the nicotine hit in the final 3rd of the bowl was unpleasant.

(Meaning, it kicked my ass ...)

So I tried it in a small pipe and it was SO much better.

Is this just me? Should one tie pipe choice to the tobacco? Is that a thing?
Not sure if I can add to the recommends here but just smoke slow, don't rush it. Even a heavy nicotine tobacco can really be enjoyed slowly puffy

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’ve always adhered to the rule: the higher the sugar content, the bigger the bowl. The guys at IRC shared their motto with me back in ‘93.

Basically, Aromatics (well US aros) go in biggest bowls. More moisture content=less airflow=more steam to smoke ratio, thus the bigger the bowl, the more area for the heat to dissipate. Next down would be Virginas, then VaPer, then Burley then English. It’s always worked pretty well for me. Of course I favor the Peterson calabash (05) and it’s derivatives (05s, XL11, 305, XL315)
So I’m not utilizing a huge swath of different shapes (I’ve less than a dozen straight shanks),

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Oh, I see, so you're hinting that I should return that lacquered-up POS mini-pipe you gave me, as if it wasn't bad enough you sent it in the first place. You're too late. I sent it to your youngest grandson.

• Haha
Reactions: macaroni

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
For sure you will and should learn to pair tobaccos to pipe sizes.

For me, the biggest difference maker is diameter, not depth.

Smoking flakes out of thinner diameter pipes and English melange/ribbons out of wider diameter pipes has been the best for me.

Reactions: Jerry144

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
A smaller bowl or packing less into a bigger one can help. As can smoking slowly. If it's still too much, you can always "water it down" by mixing in some of another lower octane blend that compliments it. Five Bros is one that takes the addition of something else very well.

In the end, it's going to take you fiddling with it to get your perfect smoke. Remember, the bar is "Did I enjoy that?" If it was a good smoke you did it right. If it wasn't, tweak things until you do.