PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi All. I am at the stage where I am exploring different tobaccos. My favorite so far is Royal Yacht. But when I smoked in in a big ol Lorenzo pot, the nicotine hit in the final 3rd of the bowl was unpleasant.

(Meaning, it kicked my ass ...)

So I tried it in a small pipe and it was SO much better.

Is this just me? Should one tie pipe choice to the tobacco? Is that a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi All. I am at the stage where I am exploring different tobaccos. My favorite so far is Royal Yacht. But when I smoked in in a big ol Lorenzo pot, the nicotine hit in the final 3rd of the bowl was unpleasant.

(Meaning, it kicked my ass ...)

So I tried it in a small pipe and it was SO much better.

Is this just me? Should one tie pipe choice to the tobacco? Is that a thing?
one should choose what gives them the most pleasure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Does pipe size matter? Asking for a friend.
from what I've been told yes, but not quite like people think. Sometimes a pipe is so small you don't feel anything and too much pipe can be bad. I have also heard it's not the depth of bowl but the width that makes the most difference.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I match my pipes to certain blends all the time.
For example, if I want to smoke my 1998 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky I have 3 pipes dedicated to that blend. They are all group 5 flake pipes.
I have other pipes like my 2 group 6 sized pipes that I only smoke 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed. in. Both pipe are large and perfect for that particular blend. I have other pipes like a few group 4's that I smoke Peterson Irish Flake and Peterson University Flake. I have been dedicating to genres and to specific blends for many years and find I get the best flavors doing it this way.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I don't have specific pipes dedicated to particular blends; but I do pay attention to bowl size. I do not smoke big bowls of blends with Dark Fired Kentucky, nor with blends heavy with Perique. The first gives me the, "spins, and the second tastes too, "peppery," for me with the longer smoking times. Plus, I now ALWAYS eat something BEFORE smoking any DFK (dark fired kentucky). I'm learning what I like and what likes me. I also smoke blends heavy in Virginia blends in large bowls--loosely packed--so that lighting is easy, BUT I smoke gently and slowly to AVOID MY TONGUE STINGING ("tongue bite").

If I find a particular bowl doesn't agree with me for whatever reason, I now set it aside and come back to it later that day or the next--and move on to something more appealing at the moment.

I've found that I pack my Castello pipes more firmly and my Peterson system pipes a bit more loosely than the Castello (unless, of course, I'm loading a bowl of Virginia tobacco--which I pack loosely regardless of pipe).

kind regards,
mike

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There is no relationship between pipes and the tobacco smoked in them. It's ridiculous to say there is as the subjective world of pipe smoking can make no comment on objective fact. Others will say the opposite, but they are full of hooey. The pipe you choose to smoke depends on the bowl size you select for the length of time you choose to smoke. Shape is also irrelevant other than what shape you choose to smoke.

You can learn a lot from the forums, but take care that you use your own experience in smoke to decode which are true and which false.