PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I don't have a "rotation" per se. But, I don't smoke the same pipe multiple times -- except cobs and Falcons. I try to let a smoked briar 'rest' for a week, or so, before using it again. To my sensibilities, they taste better when they're dry to start with. I am not suggesting this is the "right way" to do it, just that it's the way I do it. YMMV

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, that’s what I suspected but I wanted to confirm. I read an old article that suggested putting a wad of wet tobacco in the bottom of a meerschaum to enhance coloring.
With regular cleaning, there's no way that a pipe as massive as that skull (35.05cm) could look like this in the amount of time that I've had it.

20200911_021401.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I rotate based on what I feel like smoking. Though some pipes are situational as in smaller bowl for a quicker smoke. Though five days a week I smoke my tiny blowfish at least twice a day. Either five bros or Semois rarely something else. It doesn't feel like much when you smoke a normal nicotine blend in it.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I think there is a divide between pipe smokers on the definition of rotation.

1. Some pipe smokers cycle through a set of pipes (Literal meaning of the word rotation)
2. Other pipe smokers (Including me) define rotation in more loose terms - Selecting a different pipe every time you smoke, so that all your pipe gets some rest. How much rest will depend on the number of pipes you have
3. Yet other pipe smokers smoke the same pipe a few times, before resting and following a rotation similar to #1 or #2 above

I generally limit smoking the same pipe only once a day, although in rare occasions I would smoke the same pipe back to back. My rotation is #2 with a lot of randomness thrown in
I'm in category 2. I try not to smoke one twice in a row, or more than three times in a day, but I have no formal rotation process (other than once in a while I do a mass rotation of them all with pipes in my cellar).

Reactions: cshubhra

B_Rock

Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I have a rotation of about 10 pipes that I smoke. I’m usually a 1 bowl per day smoker so each Pipe gets about 10 days rest. I also keep a pipe log with with date and blend - I notice that my Peterson 312 & Roma 320 get a little more action than the rest...so maybe not so strict a rotation.

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I think there is a divide between pipe smokers on the definition of rotation.

1. Some pipe smokers cycle through a set of pipes (Literal meaning of the word rotation)
2. Other pipe smokers (Including me) define rotation in more loose terms - Selecting a different pipe every time you smoke, so that all your pipe gets some rest. How much rest will depend on the number of pipes you have
3. Yet other pipe smokers smoke the same pipe a few times, before resting and following a rotation similar to #1 or #2 above

I generally limit smoking the same pipe only once a day, although in rare occasions I would smoke the same pipe back to back. My rotation is #2 with a lot of randomness thrown in
^^^ This... and #2 above with similar randomness is my general method.

Reactions: cshubhra

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I rotate through a seven day set of my beloved Stanwell No.11s in the evening with my favorite Oriental and Balkan blends. Throughout the day I rotate through a number of other pipes (mostly briars, the occasional Cobb or pear wood) trying to rest each for at least 24 hours. Meers are the only pipes I don’t rest.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Indeed, 35 cm, that is a lot of meerschaum. You shouldn’t be getting any smoke in your eyes.
You generally can't see me producing any smoke unless I'm trying except when I first light a pipe, but the size of this one would certainly help.

20200714_130639.jpg