PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Do you smoke your pipes in a rotation? Why or why not?
I would venture to guess that there aren't any, or very little, people on this forum who just smoke one pipe throughout the day as there are so many enthusiasts!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you smoke your pipes in a rotation? Why or why not?
I would venture to guess that there aren't any, or very little, people on this forum who just smoke one pipe throughout the day as there are so many enthusiasts!
I did decades ago until I realized that if you keep a pipe clean it really doesn't need a rest period. I smoke the same one several times per day for weeks on end without changing them out. This fellow has been getting smoked 4-5 times per day since its purchase in July.

20200910_041503.jpg

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I did decades ago until I realized that if you keep a pipe clean it really doesn't need a rest period. I smoke the same one several times per day for weeks on end without changing them out. This fellow has been getting smoked 4-5 times per day since its purchase in July.

View attachment 42439
Do you ever smoke a pipe with back to back consecutive bowls?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
I ended up with a pipe collection based on various bowl sizes, so I'll grab a certain pipe depending on the time of day.

Smoke during the day = Peterson barrel which is smaller and less of a time commitment

Smoke during the evening = Big Ben Fantasia (my avatar) or Stanwell Brushed Brown which have larger bowls for a longer session

Then if I smoke again the next day, I just clean them out and repeat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like Iraisch, I have about ninety pipes so I generally smoke a different one for each bowl, not because I believe the pipes need a rest so much as I like to keep them all in use. For a trip of a week, I might take four pipes and circulate them. My father who smoked from age 15 ro 65, then quit cold turkey, usually only owned one fully smokable pipe at a time, and maybe one near burn-out as a backup, and he smoked from just after breakfast until bedtime with time out for meals. And he only smoked Granger. Pipes bear that easily, but I can't see having quite a few pipes and not keeping them all in somewhat steady use, or that's my preference. I don't rotate them in order, just grab what suits my mood, but trying to keep them all in use.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t smoke a rotation, I usually just pick what pipe I want to use once I pick out the tobacco I’m smoking. I don’t have near the collection of pipes that other people do on here but I’ve got way more than any one man needs. Most of them are very inexpensive or were gifts. I got a box of 95 pipes from a family friend just before he passed away. I cherish those pipes and they probably get the most action in my collection, however, I didn’t bring all of those pipes back to life, maybe just a couple dozen or so.

I just counted, I have 59 pipes that are in “use”, I probably have about 30 or 40 that are not in current use.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I rotate. The most I will smoke from one briar in one day is maybe three bowls, well spaced out. And every pipe gets a good rest after a day being smoked.

Reactions: Ebarber

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do you ever smoke a pipe with back to back consecutive bowls?
Sure. No problem. But if the heel is damp after a smoke, I'd have to be desparate to use the same pipe. It's rare that I don't have a spare pipe nearby, as I keep a few in my car and golf bag as well as at home

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I find myself using the same couple of pipes, rotation be damned. I've been thinking of buying a cheaper workhorse pipe though, any recommendations? I like squat wider bowls.