PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't have a valid reason but I give all my pipes at least a 48 hour rest between smokes. I have a lot of pipes that call to me as soon as I come next to the pipe racks. The one I've used in the last 48 hours never does.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Jesus ya. If you smoke a pipe twice before it’s attained total dryness, it will explode. And if you attempt to change blends in a pipe that you just smoked and didn’t run 12 pipe cleaners through your whole fucking head will pop off your shoulders.
Ive seen it happen. Not pretty.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't have a set rotation for my pipes. I do clean the crap out of each pipe after using it just once. I want a fresh pipe every time I go to smoke a fresh bowl of tobacco. For my tastes a dirty pipe is the worst thing I want to try and smoke through. I also never smoke the same pipe in the same day. I want my pipes to have 24-48 hours before being smoked again. To my tastes there is nothing better than a fresh pipe matched with a fresh bowl of tobacco. I pay good money for my tobacco and I want it to taste as good as possible.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I don't have a set rotation for my pipes. I do clean the crap out of each pipe after using it just once. I want a fresh pipe every time I go to smoke a fresh bowl of tobacco. For my tastes a dirty pipe is the worst thing I want to try and smoke through. I also never smoke the same pipe in the same day. I want my pipes to have 24-48 hours before being smoked again. To my tastes there is nothing better than a fresh pipe matched with a fresh bowl of tobacco. I pay good money for my tobacco and I want it to taste as good as possible.

This is exactly what I do and how I feel. Well said

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke five plus bowls per day in one briar. Each briar is used only one day with cleanings each Sunday. I pick a meer in the evening and smoke three to five bowls. Again, pipes are cleaned on Sunday. I could easily do as many have in the past and smoke a pipe all day, every day, cleaning as needed until I tire of it and grab another pipe.

I have very few rules except to enjoy each bowl as work or relaxation permits. Evening pipes are much different than pipes smoked while working.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Grab and go. No rotation, very little thought goes into my pipe selection. I usually gravitate to the same 7-10 pipes although I probably have 5X that. Clean them weekly but use a paper towel to wipe the bowl after each smoke.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Jwebb90
I think there is a divide between pipe smokers on the definition of rotation.

1. Some pipe smokers cycle through a set of pipes (Literal meaning of the word rotation)
2. Other pipe smokers (Including me) define rotation in more loose terms - Selecting a different pipe every time you smoke, so that all your pipe gets some rest. How much rest will depend on the number of pipes you have
3. Yet other pipe smokers smoke the same pipe a few times, before resting and following a rotation similar to #1 or #2 above

I generally limit smoking the same pipe only once a day, although in rare occasions I would smoke the same pipe back to back. My rotation is #2 with a lot of randomness thrown in

Jan 5, 2020
I don't believe in resting my pipes. I smoked the same one for years when I was at work, it was always lit over an 8 hour day, and nothing bad happened. I put 3 bowls through my new Kaywoodie this morning, and it'll probably get another 4 tomorrow when I'm putting together my new engine.

Reactions: Wellington

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I rotate pipes and change tobacco. Main reason is just for a variety. I guess any “technical” reason would be to allow the pipe to dry out from the moisture, but I’ve never been too concerned. As mentioned, if cleaned, then all is good. I have seasonal themed pipes, i.e., Christmas, that I “generally” smoke durning the season, but I rotate them too...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess some would call a rotation changing pipes in an established sequence. Whereas from these posts, I think a lot of us usually smoke different pipes but not in any particular order. I like variety, both in pipes and in blends, and the freedom to select different ones each bowl.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I don’t keep a disciplined rotation. But having a few they generally rest for weeks, maybe months between uses. I’ll smoke one for a day, back to back bowls? Sure, switching blends as I choose. If I wanted the same pipe two days in a row, sure thing!

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Jesus ya. If you smoke a pipe twice before it’s attained total dryness, it will explode. And if you attempt to change blends in a pipe that you just smoked and didn’t run 12 pipe cleaners through your whole fucking head will pop off your shoulders.
Ive seen it happen. Not pretty.
Isn’t that a movie?