PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I have a collection of about 50 pipes and I like them all. My OCD demands that I smoke them in racked order. I’m at 3-4 bowls/day, so they each get smoked every couple weeks. This causes a problem when I acquire a new pipe. Do I smoke it first then place it in its correct location in the display, or do I place it first and make it wait its turn? Or do I wait until it *would* come up, smoke it, then move the rest of pipes after it as I smoke them? It’s a nerve wracking decision, I tell ya’.

• Haha
Reactions: Plutz and Ebarber

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
They are like friends. Who haven't you seen in a while? Who goes with which mood or sentiment? Who is my secret favorite...shh don't tell the others. Pipe rotation can be about as exciting as the tobacco itself. "Oh i haven't smoked this pipe in a while and gosh do I love it"

Reactions: Ebarber

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I have around 20 pipes currently so I do like to rotate. I have my favorites which might see more use than others but I try to keep them all in rotation. I usually smoke 1 bowl, clean then put it away and grab another when or if I enjoy another bowl. I feel that I get a better smoke from a pipe that has rested and is cool, fresh and ready to go. I have a few "shop pipes" that I take out in the shop or yard when I'm working. Im not as careful with my "shop pipes" as I am with my more expensive "office pipes" which never leave my office. Sometimes my shop pipes might get more than one bowl before getting rotated but usually never more than 2 or 3 before getting cleaned and put back in the rack.

Reactions: pipebaum81

Plutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2020
Shropshire, UK
Reading through these comments sure makes me feel better about my "rotating habits", or lack there of.

I'm not too big on the whole resting period idea.. I can understand why others would, and I'm sure as my collection grows everything will get more rest time.

I usually chuck 2 or 3 pipes in my bag for the day and a couple of different blends, usually alternating between those pipes each smoke (blend dependant) I'll probably have something dedicated to English, same for Virginia based, and pretty much always a cob too.
English's often come later in the day for me, so the cob or virginia pipe might get a few consecutive smokes earlier on.

Each one gets a couple of cleaners and a good wipe out right after I've smoked it, and i try to give it an hour or so before I hit it again.
If I've been going heavy on the same pipe(s) for a few days then ill give them a few days off too.

My new Mark Twain has been smoked at least 2-3 times a day since I got it earlier this week with no ill effects, so far its just improved with each smoke.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I have a collection of about 50 pipes and I like them all. My OCD demands that I smoke them in racked order. I’m at 3-4 bowls/day, so they each get smoked every couple weeks. This causes a problem when I acquire a new pipe. Do I smoke it first then place it in its correct location in the display, or do I place it first and make it wait its turn? Or do I wait until it *would* come up, smoke it, then move the rest of pipes after it as I smoke them? It’s a nerve wracking decision, I tell ya’.
I would smoke it the day I got it and put it line! I used to keep them in order too!

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I just pick up whatever pipe I feel like smoking and smoke it. Sometimes I one bowl in a day, sometimes it's 3 or four. I do let my pipes dry out for a couple of days after cleaning.

This is what I do with my briar pipes, only exception is that I live in the desert with very low humidity (usually less than 10% rh) so pipes tend to dry out pretty fast. I usually let them have a day or two, but not always. I have several meerschaums and have been smoking one quite a bit lately, multiple times per day with some cleaning in between bowls.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A rotation made a lot of sense to me when I started. It made so much sense that dedicated 3 pipes each for 2 blends that I smoked everyday, so each pipe was rested at least two days. But in the last 3 years I threw all of that out. I began smoking the same pipe with my favorite blend everyday for a week. I did clean the pipes well after every smoke.

Reactions: Plutz
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don’t really do a rotation per se. I don’t own that many pipes, maybe 10 or 12, most of which are dedicated to a specific “genre.” So that’s how I pick which pipe to smoke, I choose it based on which blend I want to have.

karibo

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
London, UK
I don't have a strict order and don't have a lot of pipes, only about 16. I just generally try to use one which is in 'the least recently used half'.