PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mostly avoid attaching regrets to pipes and tobacco. The obvious regretted pipes I've traded away. I sometimes regret, being a moderate smoker, getting around to some of my pipes so rarely, but then I'm pleased and kind of surprised when I do. For a while I regretted buying so many pipes rather than fewer higher-priced pipes, but the more I return to the various ones, up-market and down, I'm quite pleased with most.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Sometimes I'll regret smoking a bowl inn certain pipes that I acutally like - just not for that moment - but regret passes- I also regret smoking tobacco I don't love - Years ago I'd save it like it was gold - these days I just throw it away.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Here’s a regret. I purchased a Dunhill Swan Shape (1930’s) from a Forum member. I paid full freight, over $300. The pipe arrived and I set it aside because my father’s health was failing and I had my hands full with that and our business.

Flash forward about six months. I catch my breath after my father’s passing and I decide to look at the pipe in detail. Well, there’s a crack in the bowl chamber that was undisclosed by the shithead seller.

I contactthe seller and explained the situation. I gave him the full circumstances including not only had I not smoked it, but I hadn’t taken it out of the box it was shipped in.

Didn’t matter. I was the proud owner of firewood.

The part that stung and officially made it a regret, was a few weeks later, that same Forum member bragged about finding the pipe dirt cheap in pristine condition and then selling it for a crazy profit.

I handle my regrets different than most. The pipe was thrown in the trash. And I remember who that person was.... forever... Some day our paths with cross and the trash can will be filled again.
I normally don't like embarrassing forum members in public, but actions like that deserve a call-out. If one forum member shafts another AND acts like a total jackleg jackass, to me that breaks all bargains. We're a brotherhood, & treating a good forum member that way to me rates a call-out. -growl-

Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Life's too short to spend much time on regrets. The only pipe that got away that I occasionally think about, usually when a thread like this one shows up, is a 1915 cased Barling companion set. 1915 was my father's birth year. The other bidder, who lived in Singapore, was just more determined to get it than was moi. When the price hit about 250% of market I let him have it, the bastid...
If the goofball wants it that bad, let him get his just desserts & revel in paying excessive times fair market. -evyl grin-

Reactions: cory84 and jpmcwjr

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I normally don't like embarrassing forum members in public, but actions like that deserve a call-out. If one forum member shafts another AND acts like a total jackleg jackass, to me that breaks all bargains. We're a brotherhood, & treating a good forum member that way to me rates a call-out. -growl-

Bill
He’s no longer an active member. If he pops up I’ll gladly pin the tail on that donkey.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I was bidding on this tonight and let it get away. Some random literally outbid everyone on about 30 pipes. Sure the math averaged out for them to being a reasonable deal over all...it’s just a shame this beauty got caught up in the tactic. It was a 1950s comoys that was exported to USA with the “made in London” (circle) over England COM. Maybe I’ll see it sometime again soon.

87F361DA-F6A7-4E01-8650-805C0F244816.jpeg

Reactions: bnichols23

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Ahi Ka you sure that’s a Comoy? The seconds were marked Select Grain. The Com would be on other side.

Reactions: bnichols23

cory84

Can't Leave
Jul 15, 2012
Oregon
No real pipe regrets here. However, I did give away last tin of Frog Morton On The Town to a buddy new to pipe smoking. I went to buy more and .......:cry:GONE

• Sad
Reactions: tschiraldi

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
that photo made me wince. I dropped a Becker 3 club dublin getting out of my car on the very first day I had it and the shank snapped just like that. Had smoked it once. Most expensive bowl i ever had.
Yeah. I picked it up off the floor and said “Shit! Oh well...” but my wife, she started to cry. I had only had the pipe for a little while and she knew how much I it meant to me as it was one of my bucket list pipes.

It was a very touching moment to say the least. The pipe can easily be fixed as the break is clean and no miscellaneous pieces are missing...but no. I keep it around to remind myself to be more careful with the things I love; and to be more careful with what I choose to love.