PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I don't believe in regrets.
You choose what you choose and it's not possible to go back in time and make different choices.
To think back and regret stuff is just a way to drive yourself mad.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My Sniping Method

1. We snipe to win but bid to pay the least.
2. Bid at the last second. You benefit from knowing the last registered bid, but you don't give away your bid, telling others the amount that they have to bid to win.
3. Your bid limit s/b 20% less than a reasonably low retail price. By being willing to pay more you win. You beat the guys who bid very low but still save.

I made a handful of tampers for The Briary, each one was about 2 days of work, hand forged, fabricated, sterling silver, stones, priced modestly for resale. I mean, I know that selling wholesale is always getting the short end of the stick. But, he had been hammering me for weeks to make some for him. So, I did. Taking them in there, he just worked me down down down... till I just grabbed them and was ready to go home. He didn't want to pay. But, he told me to wait... he brought a Ser Jacopo huge bent bulldog from the back. Told me that it retailed for $1200. I should have just kept walking, but it was a beaut.

Got home and couldn't find any pipes made by Jacopo that sold for over $600 at the time. I had basically sold my tampers for less than the silver cost me. Uggg...

I stupidly made the trade, although I shouldn't have. My wife was all, "you can't pay your supply bills with a pipe," like I was some stupid Jack coming home with freakin' beans... which I was.

The damned thing sat on my rack for a month. I just couldn't bring myself to smoke it. Just holding it made my stomach churn, my stomach is churning just thinking about it. Tried to sell it on here for $400, but eventually just let it go for $200ish... just to get the damned evil thing out of the house. My misfortune was someone else's deal. And, I wish much good tidings to whomever got it.
I breathed better not having that thing laughing at me everytime I walk by. And, I refuse to do wholesale work any more.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here’s a regret. I purchased a Dunhill Swan Shape (1930’s) from a Forum member. I paid full freight, over $300. The pipe arrived and I set it aside because my father’s health was failing and I had my hands full with that and our business.

Flash forward about six months. I catch my breath after my father’s passing and I decide to look at the pipe in detail. Well, there’s a crack in the bowl chamber that was undisclosed by the shithead seller.

I contactthe seller and explained the situation. I gave him the full circumstances including not only had I not smoked it, but I hadn’t taken it out of the box it was shipped in.

Didn’t matter. I was the proud owner of firewood.

The part that stung and officially made it a regret, was a few weeks later, that same Forum member bragged about finding the pipe dirt cheap in pristine condition and then selling it for a crazy profit.

I handle my regrets different than most. The pipe was thrown in the trash. And I remember who that person was.... forever....one day our paths with cross and the trash can will be filled again.

No photo - but 3 words - The Briar Ceegar - serves me right - falling for a poorly designed novelty commissioned by an inexperienced child.
All over Instagram, you'd see guys smoking those just out of the box... and then you never hear anything else about them. I haven't even see anyone making them in over a year now. That scam has passed, hopefully.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
All over Instagram, you'd see guys smoking those just out of the box... and then you never hear anything else about them. I haven't even see anyone making them in over a year now. That scam has passed, hopefully.
Never seen one before, but I just looked online at one...looks a lot like the pot pipe of my son's from 20 years ago that I purposely ran over with my tractor along with his bong--he never smoked pot in my house again.

• Haha
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Exactly - unfortunately I was the sucker who actually shelled out the dough for one of those abominations. Fool me once, c'est la vie and every other cliched saying.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I made a handful of tampers for The Briary, each one was about 2 days of work, hand forged, fabricated, sterling silver, stones, priced modestly for resale. I mean, I know that selling wholesale is always getting the short end of the stick. But, he had been hammering me for weeks to make some for him. So, I did. Taking them in there, he just worked me down down down... till I just grabbed them and was ready to go home. He didn't want to pay. But, he told me to wait... he brought a Ser Jacopo huge bent bulldog from the back. Told me that it retailed for $1200. I should have just kept walking, but it was a beaut.

Got home and couldn't find any pipes made by Jacopo that sold for over $600 at the time. I had basically sold my tampers for less than the silver cost me. Uggg...

I stupidly made the trade, although I shouldn't have. My wife was all, "you can't pay your supply bills with a pipe," like I was some stupid Jack coming home with freakin' beans... which I was.

The damned thing sat on my rack for a month. I just couldn't bring myself to smoke it. Just holding it made my stomach churn, my stomach is churning just thinking about it. Tried to sell it on here for $400, but eventually just let it go for $200ish... just to get the damned evil thing out of the house. My misfortune was someone else's deal. And, I wish much good tidings to whomever got it.
I breathed better not having that thing laughing at me everytime I walk by. And, I refuse to do wholesale work any more.
This was Skip that pushed the price so far down? Don't knows him but he would seem more fair than that. He adds the Jacopo but by that time had alienated you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Here’s a regret. I purchased a Dunhill Swan Shape (1930’s) from a Forum member. I paid full freight, over $300. The pipe arrived and I set it aside because my father’s health was failing and I had my hands full with that and our business.

Flash forward about six months. I catch my breath after my father’s passing and I decide to look at the pipe in detail. Well, there’s a crack in the bowl chamber that was undisclosed by the shithead seller.

I contactthe seller and explained the situation. I gave him the full circumstances including not only had I not smoked it, but I hadn’t taken it out of the box it was shipped in.

Didn’t matter. I was the proud owner of firewood.

The part that stung and officially made it a regret, was a few weeks later, that same Forum member bragged about finding the pipe dirt cheap in pristine condition and then selling it for a crazy profit.

I handle my regrets different than most. The pipe was thrown in the trash. And I remember who that person was.... forever....one day our paths with cross and the trash can will be filled again.
You owe the buyer reasonable functionality. Lacking that, a refund. And the seller should know the merchandise better such that it never gets to this point.
Sorry.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee