PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I'm not sure if this should be in the Pipe Talk forum, but the Country Squire podcast recently had an episode about pipe regrets, either paying too much for a pipe or getting rid of a pipe you wish you'd kept. This got me thinking, and I think it could be an interesting discussion.
I have never regretted the amount I spent on a pipe, but there are two pipes I've had that I wish I had back. The first one was an old Savinelli Nonpareil. It was a great pipe, but what really hurt was that it was my Dad's old pipe. I had gotten several pipes belonging to my Dad and a friend. I took them to get refurbished, and when I picked them up, I put them in several plastic shopping bags. I wasn't well equipped at the time. Anyway, I put the bags full of pipes in the back seat of my car, and brought them in when I got home. Evidently, I missed a bag. A few days later, I saw the bag and, assuming it was trash, I threw it in a trash can at a gas station! Later that day, I realized I was missing two pipes, and realized what I had done. I sped to the gas station and raped the trash can. I found the bag with one pipe in it. The Sav was gone!
The other one was a Sasieni Specially Selected One Dot 51 Billiard in pristine condition. It was the best pipe I've ever had. I sold it a coupe years ago. I don't even remember WHY I sold it! I would give any 5 of my other pipes to have that one back!
Anyone else want to play???
Sasieni Specially Selected One Dot Patent - Right.jpgSasieni ODSS London Made.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Damn. Hate that about both, especially the Sav since it was your dad's. And knowing you & Sasienis the other too. :(:(

Probably the one I regret most myself (but with a happy ending) was a Hilson Unicorn that I gave away to a new smoker Lord only knows how many years ago. I got lucky 3-4 years back, though, & found an identical one for sale on eBay in Italy. I had to bid it up to $75 to win it & succeeded. It was worth every penny to get it "back"!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Damn. Hate that about both, especially the Sav since it was your dad's. And knowing you & Sasienis the other too. :(:(

Probably the one I regret most myself (but with a happy ending) was a Hilson Unicorn that I gave away to a new smoker Lord only knows how many years ago. I got lucky 3-4 years back, though, & found an identical one for sale on eBay in Italy. I had to bid it up to $75 to win it & succeeded. It was worth every penny to get it "back"!
Bravo! I love happy endings!

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
No regrets, but I've missed a few I would have liked because I sat on the pot too long thinking about it.

Had a pipe I was looking at for a few days disappear as I was making a final decision Saturday night, about to buy it myself. (In that case, I landed on something else that is probably a better purchase for me anyhow, so it worked out, but thats the first time that a pipe has been bought out from under me live on an internet retail site, lol.)

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I haven't owned a lot of pipes. My first pipe was a cheap pipe that was made so that the stem couldn't be removed. I was young and experimental and eventually lost that pipe after trying a soapy flake blend. The second was a Nording Rusticated Freehand which I got as my first real pipe. I never fully appreciated the pipe or pipe smoking in general. The pipe ended up mistreated and eventually broken. I wish I had taken better care of it. That way I could have enjoyed an aromatic out of it now. Here it is....

My Old Pipe.jpg

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
My pipe regret was a purchase that got away from me.
I was watching the 1969 movie True Grit . Texas Ranger La Boeuf "Glen Campbell" at a camp fire pulled a pipe out of his vest pocket and lit up. It was a beautiful myrshum pipe. Some months later i saw one just like it for sale. By the time I got the funds together it was sold. ☹

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-143725_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-143725_Gallery.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 11

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I haven't owned a lot of pipes. My first pipe was a cheap pipe that was made so that the stem couldn't be removed. I was young and experimental and eventually lost that pipe after trying a soapy flake blend. The second was a Nording Rusticated Freehand which I got as my first real pipe. I never fully appreciated the pipe or pipe smoking in general. The pipe ended up mistreated and eventually broken. I wish I had taken better care of it. That way I could have enjoyed an aromatic out of it now. Here it is....

View attachment 55437
That's a real shame, not so much for the pipe as for you. :\ I hope you got another as good or better to replace it at some point! (Anybody here will tell you I'm a Nording freak. -laugh-)