PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I like using matches best. I was previously using only matches or a kiribi lighter, but I kept charring rims. I discovered that has I put the flame down toward the tobacco, the flame curls back up. Depending on the angle or the wind, that curled flame would contribute to rim charring. When I use a Zippo with a pipe insert however, the flame gets drawn straight down into the bowl, I'm not trying to direct the flame into the bowl as I am with either a match or the kiribi. This is working out better for me and the rims of my pipes.

Reactions: anotherbob
I have tried matches, and it would have been my preferred method - but that is one more thing to find locally. I don’t know which isle in my supermarket has matches. Also my wife does groceries 80% of the time

I have (and still use) Bics a lot. They are a sure fire.Only issue - I often burn my fingers.

I have a Zippo which I now use most of the time. I do taste the fuel first couple of sips, but it is a non issue. Biggest issues with Zippos - Somehow, my Zippo would not light a pipe if so have overfilled it.

Also, I often forget to keep my Zippo filled

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I usually have only one light. I have a Zippo, a Bic, and matches.

If I have to relight, I use the Bic to relight the match and then light my pipe. Yes, matches are cheap, but the match still works until it is burned down to the half way point. Yes, I can afford to use a new match, but I am just cheap. I have been doing this for about 10 years. NO! I am not on the same match.

I was wondering if you have been using the same matchstick for 10 years!

I usually have only one light. I have a Zippo, a Bic, and matches.

If I have to relight, I use the Bic to relight the match and then light my pipe. Yes, matches are cheap, but the match still works until it is burned down to the half way point. Yes, I can afford to use a new match, but I am just cheap. I have been doing this for about 10 years. NO! I am not on the same match.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Refillable butane lighters and small wooden matches are my first choice, but I've used everything but an acetylene torch.

Regardless the source of flame, it can be used to gently ignite the tobacco without scorching the rim. You simply draw the flame to the top of the tobacco. If the flame is hot, hold it further away and/or reduce time in contact. Don't point the flame down; hold it parallel to the pipe.

Reactions: cshubhra

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I exclusively use Bic lighters when out and about which means that I mainly use Bic lighters.

I also use Zippo, Old Boy, and Xikar soft flame lighters when at home. Rarely do I use matches.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Occasionally matches but usually a bic or one of my pipe lighters. Lately I have been bic happy

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Out and about..BIC. In the hause at the desk in my den(where I smoke most of the time, this
K1X8N6Y.jpg
. When I first got it I thought no go, use matches.It's one of those hemp wick lighters. Here lately, I love the thing for sitting at the desk and lighting up...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wish we could go back to the good old days of pupe smoking and when you could smoke inside
I love how if a private home will make a exception to the no smoking policy it will be for pipes. Which is as good as any reason to have a good aromatic on hand.
P.S. I really hope that was a typo and you don't smoke pups. They're too cute for that.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I love how if a private home will make a exception to the no smoking policy it will be for pipes. Which is as good as any reason to have a good aromatic on hand.
P.S. I really hope that was a typo and you don't smoke pups. They're too cute for that.
Haha yes it was my fat fingers strike again. smoking in general is just so taboo nowadays that even with a pipe people freak out like its then end of the world

• Haha

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think the trick to avoid getting fuel taste with Zippos is to keep the lighter perfectly parallel to the ground, or, better yet, to tilt it ever so slightly upwards. If you tilt it downwards you'll get fuel in your bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.