PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
May I ask where your quote comes from? It sounds as if it might have been written by Hemingway.

Last edited:

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Oh, and in regards to lighting a pipe... I have used damn near anything...Bic, Zippo, fancy lighters, matches, twigs with a campfire. Anything is fine to me. The most important feature for me is reliaility.... so usually a Zippo or a Bic.

Reactions: Lyle b

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Zippo, hands down the most reliable and efficient lighter I’ve owned and I went through a lighter journey... all roads lead to Zippo.

I don’t taste any flavor imparted by the fluid but I let it burn for a couple of seconds before I put the flame to leaf.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Zippo, hands down the most reliable and efficient lighter I’ve owned and I went through a lighter journey... all roads lead to Zippo.

I don’t taste any flavor imparted by the fluid but I let it burn for a couple of seconds before I put the flame to leaf.
maybe it's just me but I char the top of my pipe with zippo, and I dont put the flame directly on the pipe or tobacco

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have a variety of lighting tools. My favorite is my Xikar pipeline (Old boy copy). If I am driving and have one hand I use my Zippo with a pipe insert. If I am sitting on the deck and have my stinky smoking coat I reach in the pocket for a bic lighter or a box of matches. They all seem to work just fine. The easiest is the Zippo but as mentioned above, it does impart a fuel flavor for a while. The hardest method is the matches just because of wind, indoor ventilation equipment or farts...

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I have a variety of lighting tools. My favorite is my Xikar pipeline (Old boy copy). If I am driving and have one hand I use my Zippo with a pipe insert. If I am sitting on the deck and have my stinky smoking coat I reach in the pocket for a bic lighter or a box of matches. They all seem to work just fine. The easiest is the Zippo but as mentioned above, it does impart a fuel flavor for a while. The hardest method is the matches just because of wind, indoor ventilation equipment or farts...
I agree matches are the hardest but maybe its nostalgia but I like them the best

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I agree matches are the hardest but maybe its nostalgia but I like them the best
I can't argue with nostalgia. I have searched all over the place for matches that were shaped like small stakes or triangular. The wider end had the head and provided a wider flame. My grandpa used them almost exclusively and would like both his pipes and his cigars with them. I would love to buy a box of those! I attached a quick drawing on here in case someone knows what they are called.4688

Reactions: UncleRasta

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I can't argue with nostalgia. I have searched all over the place for matches that were shaped like small stakes or triangular. The wider end had the head and provided a wider flame. My grandpa used them almost exclusively and would like both his pipes and his cigars with them. I would love to buy a box of those! I attached a quick drawing on here in case someone knows what they are called.View attachment 4688
I have never seen a match like that but I will keep my eyes out for them

Status
Not open for further replies.