PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those with more lighter experience... does the zippo with pipe insert light more reliably than a traditional pipe lighter (old boy, etc)? I guess i'm asking about resistance to wind.
Old Boys are virtually useless in a breeze unless you learn to shield your pipe with your hand when lighting. Lighters like Zippos, Beatties, and Nimrods are better for lighting outdoors.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

ak2000

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
I'm going to second the Condor, I've been really impressed with it, especially at the price point. I found one easily on the US Amazon site, so I would hope you could find it on Canada's as well. Happy hunting!

Amazon (but USA)
I purchased one based on these posts. It's a really good lighter especially for the money. We'll see for how long, but at $36 if it lasts a few years I'll consider it a bargain. Also at this price I don't mind if it gets scratched in my pocket though so far it hasn't.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I purchased one based on these posts. It's a really good lighter especially for the money. We'll see for how long, but at $36 if it lasts a few years I'll consider it a bargain. Also at this price I don't mind if it gets scratched in my pocket though so far it hasn't.

Mine is over a year old and is still the lighter I bought new. The wheels may fall off tomorrow, but so far so good 👍

Reactions: ak2000

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021

Her expression at 0:22 won me over, and I never looked back. Old Boy is the best.
That being said, it is a bit small-in-the-hand.

Recently buying an IM Corona PipeMaster, however to accompany it.

Reactions: PaulRVA

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I have a Kiribi which is nice, it keeps the flame away from your fingers, but if you smoke outside, even the slightest breeze will blow it out. But so far, a dependable lighter.

Zippo's with a pipe insert work ok, but not my go-to.

Dissim inverted lighter. Not great in my limited experience. Had it less than a year and already had it replaced because it wouldn't spark. Now it looks like it's acting up again. But now they do make cheaper and slightly smaller versions that are also refillable.

One lighter that I'm pleasantly surprised by is Clipper lighters. Can be found on Amazon, various packs for very reasonable prices. Some are a pack of 12 for $20 USD. They're refillable with butane and you can also replace the flint. They've worked out great for me and always reliable, and if needed, easily replaceable.

After reading this post, I'm starting to look at those IM Corona Master lighters. You guys are a bad influence. :LOL:

Reactions: PaulRVA

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I was using a bic for the longest. I've had luck to never lose them haha. My brother bought me a Zippo pipe lighter and it has changed my life in just a day. It's not butane but it is nice.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf