PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BDIC

Might Stick Around
Feb 15, 2021
NY, Long Island
Zippo with a pipe insert - can't go wrong. Easy to change wicks, cotton and flints, works everytime even in windy conditions. Might cost ya around $30 bucks or so. Only down size is if you're tobacco is right up to the rim, a charring light can be a pain to achieve I've found. If you're below the rim you'll have no problem.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Best cheap pipe lighter I own is the Bic EZ Reach.

View attachment 187451
I hate pipe lighters. Fiddly, unreliable things -- and compared to the cost of matches, the economics of quality lighters are completely upside down. These however I didn't know existed. Will give them a try.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I bought a Condor at Victory Pipes (Oshawa, On). What I wanted were pipe cleaners and other accessories but decided to give it a try when I saw them. I honestly never heard of that brand, did not even look for reviews. This will either be a hit or miss. I've spent much more money in the past on lighters and ended up disappointed. So, who knows, this just might be the one for me. I seem to have seen quite a few members in our community with similar types of lighters and they appear to like them. So...fingers crossed.bdw
I don't know if $70 (CAD) qualifies as inexpensive for you, but I'm including the link in case you have an interest. They offer 3 finishes.

I'm going to second the Condor, I've been really impressed with it, especially at the price point. I found one easily on the US Amazon site, so I would hope you could find it on Canada's as well. Happy hunting!

Amazon (but USA)

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Matches. Unless you got some wicked weather, matches, especially sulfur-free cigar matches, are the way to go. Low intensity flame, ease of control, doesn't impart a nasty flavor, etc.

Let me put it this way. Imagine you have two fires going and each has a spit with meat roasting above each. One fire is made from quality firewood. The other is made from old McDonald's sweet tea cups and McChicken wrappers. Which roast do you think will taste better? Why, it's just a flame, and any flame works just as well as any other, right? Nah. Common sense tells us the food not roasted by a flame fueled by garbage will likely be better.

With tobacco, because of the charring/false light(s), we have to let it contact flame a good deal, to say nothing of relights. If you light with something that isn't geared towards consumables, don't be surprised if it imparts a nasty flavor. Sure, it will go away in a minute or two, but why do that to yourself? Especially when matches are so cheap to begin with. Quality matches, and then save the bic/zippo/whatever for quick relights. It's the way to go, in my humble opinion. I usually use Arango cigar matches and the zippo with a pipe insert for quick relights. It works like a charm and is economical.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Well, I made a commitment. I just went to Canadian Tire and spent $3.79 (Canadian) on a Bic EZ Reach lighter. Seems to meet my earlier-stated qualifications. Works well. Not much status, though. LOL I'll try to hide it in my hand whenever I am smoking where other people are around.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, I made a commitment. I just went to Canadian Tire and spent $3.79 (Canadian) on a Bic EZ Reach lighter. Seems to meet my earlier-stated qualifications. Works well. Not much status, though. LOL I'll try to hide it in my hand whenever I am smoking where other people are around.
99% of my time smoking is by myself. Believe it or not, if I go out, I'm more likely to take a bic with me to avoid having one of my nice lighters lost or stolen. I just enjoy using a well made instrument to light my pipe.

It's also economic. Smoking 5 or 6 bowls per day, I probably light 15 to 25 times. I'm guessing I'd go through 2 to 4 bic lighters per month. That's around $12 per month which means I would pay for the.Old Boy in less than 10 months.

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Bic and zippo depending on the wind situation. I have a Kiribi, yet I never reach for it sadly. I get the same results with a bic and I don’t have to bother replacing flints or refilling butane.

Reactions: Beowoulf

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
99% of my time smoking is by myself. Believe it or not, if I go out, I'm more likely to take a bic with me to avoid having one of my nice lighters lost or stolen. I just enjoy using a well made instrument to light my pipe.

It's also economic. Smoking 5 or 6 bowls per day, I probably light 15 to 25 times. I'm guessing I'd go through 2 to 4 bic lighters per month. That's around $12 per month which means I would pay for the.Old Boy in less than 10 months.
Doing the math!