PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
I've been scouring the internet trying to find a good, cheap lighter. Do any of you folks have a good one to recommend? I am looking for a butane one with a 45 degree flame angle. Pipe tools included are not necessary. If you can recommend one, could you maybe also specify where you got it? Preferably not from China as shipping takes forever. One from Amazon.ca would be ideal! (Yeah, I know, I'm not asking for much, am I? :rolleyes: )

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm going counter to your request and propose you spend a bit more money and purchase a quality lighter if you smoke much. Over time, unless you lose it, it will pay dividends. I have recommended Kiribi in the past but no longer. I had 2 and they both crapped out inside of 3 years. Maybe coincidence they have a 2 year warranty. IMHO, the best lighter for the money is IM Corona. I've had 2 Pipe Masters for 5 years that still work great. After the 2 Kiribis went in the trash can, I bought the regular IM Corona flint version. If you keep an eye out at SP or TP, they occasionally have a 15% off sale for accessories. I bought the IM Corona flint for around $110.

Nothing wrong with keeping a few cheap lighters around when you are going out, working, etc.. The Bics shown in the previous post work quite well for a couple of bucks. Any $14.99 to $44.99 lighter I've ever had didn't last a year.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I bought a Condor at Victory Pipes (Oshawa, On). What I wanted were pipe cleaners and other accessories but decided to give it a try when I saw them. I honestly never heard of that brand, did not even look for reviews. This will either be a hit or miss. I've spent much more money in the past on lighters and ended up disappointed. So, who knows, this just might be the one for me. I seem to have seen quite a few members in our community with similar types of lighters and they appear to like them. So...fingers crossed.bdw
I don't know if $70 (CAD) qualifies as inexpensive for you, but I'm including the link in case you have an interest. They offer 3 finishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beowoulf

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Of course, you can also drop in at Blatter & Blatter (coin President - Kennedy & Bleury) as well as Cigares Vasco (Ste - Catherine ouest) if you want to shop on site. Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

Reactions: Beowoulf

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I don't think the Beattie Jet qualifies for your search - I call mine "Godzilla", lol, but other than that I have some Zippos (I like the pipe lighter style) and a Peterson which is similar to an IM Corona (great lighter, soft flame, unless there is any wind about). If outside it is usually a Zippo if there is a breeze or just in case there is a breeze if I'm not on the deck and somewhere else, otherwise I reach for whatever is handy and has fuel. I used a Bic on our trip to Ireland last summer figuring it would be easier to just buy one there than worry about fuel, etc. and it worked fine, but toughened up my thumb a bit, lol, getting caught by the flame once in awhile.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have had a Colibri Clip (which, after years of faithful service, died and was replaced by a Xikar clone), a Nimrod Pipeliter (just like the one my paternal Grandfather used), a Zippo, and a Dunhill Gemlite. They all work well enough, and I still use each from time-to-time, but these days my go-to is the simple wooden match. I like the soft flame and the old-time aesthetic.

My local dollar store sells a 10-pack of Diamond brand 32-count strike-on-box matches for $1.25. If my arithmetic is correct, that works out to $0.0039/match. What a bargain! Further, the box is small, and fits in my pocket.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Beowoulf

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I'm going counter to your request and propose you spend a bit more money and purchase a quality lighter if you smoke much. Over time, unless you lose it, it will pay dividends. I have recommended Kiribi in the past but no longer. I had 2 and they both crapped out inside of 3 years. Maybe coincidence they have a 2 year warranty. IMHO, the best lighter for the money is IM Corona. I've had 2 Pipe Masters for 5 years that still work great. After the 2 Kiribis went in the trash can, I bought the regular IM Corona flint version. If you keep an eye out at SP or TP, they occasionally have a 15% off sale for accessories. I bought the IM Corona flint for around $110.

Nothing wrong with keeping a few cheap lighters around when you are going out, working, etc.. The Bics shown in the previous post work quite well for a couple of bucks. Any $14.99 to $44.99 lighter I've ever had didn't last a year.
I'll second what hoosier said. If you are in the market for a "good" pipe lighter, the budget is best adjusted up. I am not a fan of using a zippo, but I do have several zippos with butane inserts in them. I have a Xikar, one of the best looking lighters I've ever bought, but it is very temperamental, having been sent back for repairs a couple of times. The best lighter I've ever had is my Old Boy. Was it expensive? Yep. Does it work, lights every time.

That being said, I am not opposed to bics either. I keep one in my truck, my wife's car, my office desk, my toolbox, etc etc etc. Bics are also my go to when traveling by air, I don't want to risk loosing one of my nicer lighters to the Airport Overlords.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
48 years of pipe smoking, and a half-dozen or so high(ish) dollar lighters later (Old Boys, GBDs, and another one whose name I can't remember), I finally surrendered.

They simply stop holding gas after a while and are a bitch to get fixed.

A 7-pack of Bics at the grovery store twice a year do the job embarrassingly well.

A box of Swans nearby when re-lights of an especially deep bowl are on the menu, and you're covered.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I Have a bunch of old boys (5) that i got on eBay in a lot for embarrassingly cheap, i just need to send them in to get fixed...

I can recommend this company (ARS Sales & Service) for lighter repair. Back in 2013 they rebuilt my Dunhill Gemline (which I incorrectly identified in my post above as a "Gemlite"), and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I can recommend this company (ARS Sales & Service) for lighter repair. Back in 2013 they rebuilt my Dunhill Gemline (which I incorrectly identified in my post above as a "Gemlite"), and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Yes that's them, I just have to get around to sending them out, I've been traveling in KC for the last month and now that I'm home i have to get off my ass and do it, I also have a gold and enamel Ligne 2 i need to send to them to have restored.