PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I don't think the Beattie Jet qualifies for your search - I call mine "Godzilla", lol, but other than that I have some Zippos (I like the pipe lighter style) and a Peterson which is similar to an IM Corona (great lighter, soft flame, unless there is any wind about). If outside it is usually a Zippo if there is a breeze or just in case there is a breeze if I'm not on the deck and somewhere else, otherwise I reach for whatever is handy and has fuel. I used a Bic on our trip to Ireland last summer figuring it would be easier to just buy one there than worry about fuel, etc. and it worked fine, but toughened up my thumb a bit, lol, getting caught by the flame once in awhile.
@ HawkeyeLinus
do I read from this that you have a Beattie jet?
If so a couple of questions to you or @Chasing Embers
What flints do you use? i have one on its way minus flints.The paperwork says use only Beattie flints,a bit difficult !!
also how do you clean the jet tip? The one I have bought does have the wire with it but from the photographs it looks like there is a build up of carbon around the tube tip

what are your thoughts on it,I bought it as I had seen Dwayne mention them and it intrigued me.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
@ HawkeyeLinus
do I read from this that you have a Beattie jet?
If so a couple of questions to you or @Chasing Embers
What flints do you use? i have one on its way minus flints.The paperwork says use only Beattie flints,a bit difficult !!
also how do you clean the jet tip? The one I have bought does have the wire with it but from the photographs it looks like there is a build up of carbon around the tube tip

what are your thoughts on it,I bought it as I had seen Dwayne mention them and it intrigued me.
View attachment 190154
I used a Zippo replacement flint and it is working fine - the only issue was some of the powder from the old flint was still stuck up in there but once I had that figured out the spring went as it should and it seated well.

With the one I have that is well used, I just used the tool that came with it and pretty carefully. That worked for me - didn’t want to damage the face of the nozzle. It took some careful poking about and a few insertions to clean it out. Maybe @Chasing Embers can add whether he’s done anything with the carbon and how. If you are getting the proper flame out of it I would call it good.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Zippo

Having bought mine NOS and cleaning it with flint changes, I've never seen that. Alcohol on a cotton swab should clean it up though.
That was my thoughts,alcohol and cotton bud
thanks for the reply
the photograph of it lit shows what looks like a reasonable flame but i will find out once I get it in my hands
s-l1600 (3).png

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Those bic ez reach lighters look ideal, but i've never tried one. I use a traditional pipe lighter... think i picked it up for $20 or something. I like them because they angle the flame into the bowl better than a traditional bic or even a zippo with a pipe insert. Have to consider relights...

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That was my thoughts,alcohol and cotton bud
thanks for the reply
the photograph of it lit shows what looks like a reasonable flame but i will find out once I get it in my hands
View attachment 190163
I call mine "Godzilla" because it is pretty powerful, so just beware there is a learning curve, at least there was for me, to avoid blackening a rim a bit (and came right off, lol). Easy to get used to.

When the box says it is suitable for blackening gunfights and small soldering jobs, it isn't kidding!

BDIC

Might Stick Around
Feb 15, 2021
NY, Long Island
I shy away from Bics but that is more because I was a cigarette smoker years ago. The Lotus Condor is a nice lighter but there are tons of cheap ones all over that are similar. I also have an IM Corona and a Zippo with a pipe insert and both are my favorite lighters. I've noticed a lot of people have problems with pipe insert on a Zippo but I only find that the case if the tobacco is flush with the run of the pipe. A hair under the room and it works fine.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I call mine "Godzilla" because it is pretty powerful, so just beware there is a learning curve, at least there was for me, to avoid blackening a rim a bit (and came right off, lol). Easy to get used to.

When the box says it is suitable for blackening gunfights and small soldering jobs, it isn't kidding!
Haha, gun sights!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Those bic ez reach lighters look ideal, but i've never tried one. I use a traditional pipe lighter... think i picked it up for $20 or something. I like them because they angle the flame into the bowl better than a traditional bic or even a zippo with a pipe insert. Have to consider relights...
I forget if I referenced it in this thread, but Crocs has a lighter similar to the EZ reach that is sold at Dollar Tree for $1.25 a piece (and possibly available to buy in bulk from Dollar Tree's website).

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Those with more lighter experience... does the zippo with pipe insert light more reliably than a traditional pipe lighter (old boy, etc)? I guess i'm asking about resistance to wind.
My Peterson lighter (with twin hole nozzle), which is similar to Old Boy in design, is not much use in any wind. My Zippos, all of mine have pipe inserts, are made for use in the wind and perform fine (a regular Zippo would as well).

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I forget if I referenced it in this thread, but Crocs has a lighter similar to the EZ reach that is sold at Dollar Tree for $1.25 a piece (and possibly available to buy in bulk from Dollar Tree's website).
My wife just received one of these Croc lighters in one of her Christmas packages from work (no she doesn't smoke a pipe, no idea why she got a lighter). I just tried it out today because my Zippo needs to be refilled, and it worked great. It won't replace my trusty Zippos, but I will buy more for a cheap, easy backup.