PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Who's tuff Tony? and what's he got to do with pipe cleaners? ha ha
He was a rather colorful character on here not too long ago who took a dim view of wasting pipe cleaners LOL.

He insisted the soiled ones should be accumulated and then run through the washing machine.

He ended up banned over some kind of dust-up...I don't think it was pipe cleaner related.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Don't forget that besides simply reusing a used pipe cleaner or washing it to reuse, you can also trim the dirty end with a wire cutter and use it until it's too short for any purpose.

Yup, you can thank me later. ;)

On a more serious note, it's not just the cost of the cleaner. It may be just a few pennies each, but it's a lot more to all of us collectively. We all have to pay for garbage haulers and landfills, polluted ground water, etc.

The cost is also more than economic. About 10 years ago I was in the Malaysian state of Sabah, on the island of Borneo, on a wooden boat travelling to a nearby island. This was near where the first Survivor series was filmed and it had taken me more than a whole day to fly there from the States, with plane changes. It felt so good to be there and it was stunningly beautiful. The sky was blue and the water bluer. It was paradise. But floating in the water in front of the boat as it chugged along was an empty plastic water bottle, the type you can buy by the dozens for less than a buck each at Walmart. It was goddam the ugliest thing in the world there. I've hated water in plastic bottles ever since. They are unnecessary. It didn't cost the idiot who threw it away a damn penny but it sure cost the rest of us the price of paradise.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I cut the dirty ends off with electronics wire cutting snips. I get at keast twice the mileage out of them this way, without having to run a dirty cleaner back through a pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sometimes even after smoking a pipe the cleaner will barely be gunked up so it might be reused or one end might be usable. But I usually leave the cleaner in for at least an hour or so and let it absorb gunk flip it and get the rest. So even most times with one cleaning the cleaner is done.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
To put it in perspective, for less than the price of a tin of tobacco you can buy ~600 pipe cleaners. Save money where you like but personally I don't see the benefit. Lots of us here buy hundreds of dollars of tobacco when a sale pops up.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
True, and some of us buy hundreds of dollars of pipe cleaners when site wide sales pop up.?
Literally 20 minutes ago my package arrived from Mars Cigar. I got 20 x 56 (1,1120) of the BJ Long bundles for $25. Mars is a great shop. The only online folks I know who have massive coupons is Pipesandcigars, and they are usually out of stock on their BJ Longs (funny a place with Pipes in the title always being out of pipe cleaners...)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Literally 20 minutes ago my package arrived from Mars Cigar. I got 20 x 56 (1,1120) of the BJ Long bundles for $25. Mars is a great shop. The only online folks I know who have massive coupons is Pipesandcigars, and they are usually out of stock on their BJ Longs (funny a place with Pipes in the title always being out of pipe cleaners...)
I usually get five boxes of BJ Longs bristle pipe cleaner from SPC during their IPSD sale in February.

Reactions: greeneyes

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Don't forget that besides simply reusing a used pipe cleaner or washing it to reuse, you can also trim the dirty end with a wire cutter and use it until it's too short for any purpose.

Yup, you can thank me later. ;)

On a more serious note, it's not just the cost of the cleaner. It may be just a few pennies each, but it's a lot more to all of us collectively. We all have to pay for garbage haulers and landfills, polluted ground water, etc.

The cost is also more than economic. About 10 years ago I was in the Malaysian state of Sabah, on the island of Borneo, on a wooden boat travelling to a nearby island. This was near where the first Survivor series was filmed and it had taken me more than a whole day to fly there from the States, with plane changes. It felt so good to be there and it was stunningly beautiful. The sky was blue and the water bluer. It was paradise. But floating in the water in front of the boat as it chugged along was an empty plastic water bottle, the type you can buy by the dozens for less than a buck each at Walmart. It was goddam the ugliest thing in the world there. I've hated water in plastic bottles ever since. They are unnecessary. It didn't cost the idiot who threw it away a damn penny but it sure cost the rest of us the price of paradise.
Not picking a fight here...
pipe cleaners are 100% cotton and mild steel - both highly biodegradable, and not anything like a 1,000 year plastic bottle.
We have much easier and more effective ways to be environmentally conscious than reusing pipe cleaners, so I don’t think this is parallel.
However, I get the picture you paint, and agree that it is disturbing at least, and mostly lazy and selfish sanitation.
Curious about the process local to Malaysia for processing refuse in this context. Do they bury it in landfills, burn it, or dump it out to sea?

Reactions: BROBS

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
some of us buy hundreds of dollars of pipe cleaners when site wide sales pop up.

Cellar wide and cellar deep. Pipe cleaners will never be as inexpensive and widely available as they are today. They only get better with age and you never know when your favorite brand will go extinct. If it turns out that 72,640 cases is way more than you can use in your lifetime you can always sell them on eBay for a handsome profit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cellar wide and cellar deep. Pipe cleaners will never be as inexpensive and widely available as they are today. They only get better with age and you never know when your favorite brand will go extinct. If it turns out that 72,640 cases is way more than you can use in your lifetime you can always sell them on eBay for a handsome profit.
Maybe more true than you know.

Reactions: diamondback

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I buy by the case from spc and use 2 per smoke on avg - for me it’s just a cost of doing life. That said, it might have been Tony that used to post about throwing spent cleaners in a pillow case and running them through the wash - frugal to say the least ;)

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I use both ends but never run the same end twice. Not sure if that is considered reuse.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Pipe cleaners are cheap. No need to worry about "wasting" one. Like many others, I'm more concerned about keeping my pipes clean than getting all possible use out of a pipe cleaner that costs a few cents.

This sounds like one of those pennywise / pound foolish situations, like people who are super value coupon grocery shoppers, but drive new cars and have a big expensive house. Their major expenses are so high that they have to worry about saving $20 at the grocery instead of keeping their major expenses well within their means so they don't have to worry about whether their loaf of bread cost $2.99 or $2.50.

Phhht, when I told my family that as I get older and more dimentia'd, that I wanted to be chipped, so that I could just enjoy being lost, without having to worry about someone finding me. They just laughed and said that all they would have to do if they couldn't see me is follow my trail of pipe cleaners. I leave the damned things everywhere without abandon.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.