PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I've spent hundreds on cigars, promised the wife I'd stay under 40 with shipping. Hard to find a decent smoke thats attractive for that price and I found it with this one.
If you can't shake loose even $75 or so for what would be a quality estate pipe but can spend that much on cigars, I'd stick with the cigars where your advanced skills can provide enjoyment to match.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
told my wife 40 bucks would be the limit on the pipe. It's hard to find a good pipe that you enjoy the look and feel of for 40 bucks.
You're right unless your shifting through ebay. But once you go to $40-60 you can find some new Rossi, Ropp, Genod pipe on Smokingpipes.com or Smokingpipes.Eu and then you can regularly check their estate pipes which are trade in cleaned up. Many here have commented they are pretty good.
I would send that pipe back and not waste time on it. I could see if that happened 6 mos or a year in but one to two days ... no way.

Reactions: FLDRD and Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
If you can't shake loose even $75 or so for what would be a quality estate pipe but can spend that much on cigars, I'd stick with the cigars where your advanced skills can provide enjoyment too.
The point was to save money because pipe tobacco I like is a lot cheaper. But, I made the mistake of buying a bunch of cheap pipes 15 here 20 there 30 now 40, plus Ive already bought cigars and some pipe tobacco. So I promised the wife I'd only spend 40 no more. Besides I like the pipe and it smoked okay until that happened. But I also dont know what a 75 dollar pipes smokes like.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The point was to save money because pipe tobacco I like is a lot cheaper. But, I made the mistake of buying a bunch of cheap pipes 15 here 20 there 30 now 40, plus Ive already bought cigars and some pipe tobacco. So I promised the wife I'd only spend 40 no more. Besides I like the pipe and it smoked okay until that happened. But I also dont know what a 75 dollar pipes smokes like.
In many cases, it would smoke just like a $40 pipe, all other things being equal.

So now that the dark area showed up it doesn’t smoke ok?

I wouldn’t get too hung up over price and name brand. As long as it smokes okay for you, then you’ve got your money’s worth. More expensive pipes will have pricier adornments, better looking grain, better shaped buttons, etc., but will smoke about just the same as a less expensive pipe.

If I was budget conscious, i would (and have) buy a Morgan Bones pipe. $50 + shipping. Best low end pipe on the market as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
In many cases, it would smoke just like a $40 pipe, all other things being equal.

So now that the dark area showed up it doesn’t smoke ok?

I wouldn’t get too hung up over price and name brand. As long as it smokes okay for you, then you’ve got your money’s worth. More expensive pipes will have pricier adornments, better looking grain, better shaped buttons, etc., but will smoke about just the same as a less expensive pipe.

If I was budget conscious, i would (and have) buy a Morgan Bones pipe. $50 + shipping. Best low end pipe on the market as far as I’m concerned.
It's smoking okay, I'm under the impression that its going to burn completely through.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Coreios here are the pipes under $50 on SPC;

As craig mentioned Morgan Bones;

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This latest (within the past 2months) is a NOS (unsmoked new old stock) Orlik Lovat from the ??1960-1970s. £22 from EBay

This is NOT a good photo. The patch on the heel which looks like a large fill is just poor lighting. There are no fills to the naked eye.

Just a few of numerous sub$40-50 pipes I have bought in the past 2years.
image.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This latest (within the past 2months) is a NOS (unsmoked new old stock) Orlik Lovat from the ??1960-1970s. £22 from EBay

This is NOT a good photo. The patch on the heel which looks like a large fill is just poor lighting. There are no fills to the naked eye.

Just a few of numerous sub$40-50 pipes I have bought in the past 2years.
View attachment 171071
All of the Punto Oros I had were under $40. Many had been unsmoked.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
All of the Punto Oros I had were under $40. Many had been unsmoked.
That may have been the case a few years back.

But nowadays it seems most people selling estate pipes on eBay are “Restorers” or “Refurbishers” flipping questionably restored pipes for ridiculous prices.

I don’t follow pipes much on eBay anymore… back when I was buying, it was usually from people who sold all sorts of household odds and ends from estate sales, and sold lots (groups) of pipes. And my bids where never over more than $5/pipe.

Reactions: Coreios

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That may have been the case a few years back.

But nowadays it seems most people selling estate pipes on eBay are “Restorers” or “Refurbishers” flipping questionably restored pipes for ridiculous prices.

I don’t follow pipes much on eBay anymore… back when I was buying, it was usually from people who sold all sorts of household odds and ends from estate sales, and sold lots (groups) of pipes. And my bids where never over more than $5/pipe.
There's a few but mostly unrestored. Knowing what you're looking at is a must but many bargains are still out there.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There's a few but mostly unrestored. Knowing what you're looking at is a must but many bargains are still out there.
I suppose, but unless you’re prepared to do the work to get it back in shape if necessary, it can be an unsatisfying proposition. Especially if you’re just getting into the hobby.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well, the point of the post was to ask if there was an issue with a Brog pipe. I don’t see an immediate issue. The remedy was to coat the bowl, in my opinion.

Will the pipe burn out? It may or may not….

If it burns out in the next month, then maybe he’ll be successful in returning it for a refund.

I’m sure as he moves along in the hobby he’ll have plenty of opportunity to buy other pipes - new or estate.

Seems odd to me that posts where somebody buys a lower end pipe the first advice is go and buy something else…

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and Coreios
Status
Not open for further replies.