PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Hi, I'm new to pipes. I've only been smoking a few months. I just bought a Rusticated Mr. Brog 301. When I smoke it the front has a black circle on the outside of the bowl appear. When the pipe cools the color goes back to normal. The pipe feels warm like a heating pad on low not hot at all. I'm sure its heat related but is this normal, is my pipe defective? Thanks guys.IMG_20220922_170435583.jpgIMG_20220922_212146696.jpg

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I got the pipe yesterday from Amazon. I can still send it back. I meant if it changes back to the right color does that mean just smoke slower and I got lucky, or is ot defective like a soft spot and it's probably going to blow out.
It all depends on how long you have been smoking it for I suppose.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Ive bought a lot of cigars, told my wife 40 bucks would be the limit on the pipe. It's hard to find a good pipe that you enjoy the look and feel of for 40 bucks. I contacted Mr. Brog yesterday but no response. Guess Ill send it back through Amazon and check out the sites here. Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Reactions: FLDRD

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
10-4 on a soft spot or even a void (it happens... briar can grow in bizarre ways).

This sort of thing is why Dunhill has always stamped the production date on their pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Some of the Brog pipes are made of pear wood, which being fruit wood, is not as dense as hardwood or briar.

That said, there may be something in the wood that is darkening with the heat that causes that to appear while smoking, and go away when the pipe cools. If it was beginning of burnout I would expect that the spot would remain when the pipe cools.

A look inside the chamber of the pipe would reveal any char beginning in that area. A solution in that case would be to cover the chamber walls with a coating to help insulate the chamber wall. I use powdered activated charcoal/sour cream in my fruit wood pipes. It’s thick and works great.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Coreios : I would just return it and buy a cheaper meerschaum pipe from P&C. My friend Ramazan sells through them and offers a wide selection of meerschaums and has clones of some of my pipes sold under 'My Name' which is pretty funny but since he is a friend with kids to support so I don't mind providing he doesn't trade mark me!

Reactions: skaukatt and PipeIT
Status
Not open for further replies.