PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Actually, not sure if this makes a difference, I should have said its pear root.
Pear wood is softer than briar. As is birch and oak
I'd go with a briar for your next purchase.
Whatever you do, resist the temptation to buy a cheap Made in China pipe. That will only lead to tears 😖

SmokingPipes have $50 Rossi pipes. (NEW)
Blue Room Briars have cleaned (they do a great job) estates for that price.
If you look at Pipes Estate on EBay (Bruno Nuttens - pipemaker from France) there are NOS (unsmoked estates) and cleaned estates for $50 and under

There is quite a lot of choice for pipes under $50.
You just have to look for them.

Otherwise do what a lot of members advise - buy a cob and use the change from $50 to buy a couple of tins of tobacco.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve made several pipes using fruitwood. Never experienced any discoloration like what you’re experiencing. Vertical cracks developed in the chamber though. Applying coating helped remedy that. Same thing happened with some Ropp Cherry wood pokers I have.

Thick walls are good. I don’t notice any signs that the chamber walls burning out, but a photo on a forum doesn’t always tell the story.

If you don’t have charcoal around, you can dry out some tobacco, grind it to the consistency of dust and use that as a coating. Smear some honey, grape jelly, maple syrup, etc. in the chamber, and dump the ground tobacco in there. Cover the top and give the pipe a good shake. Dump the excess. Let the pipe sit for several days.

5E7C9E69-F22B-4F7A-9E5F-686C256C7D77.jpeg

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Ah.

Actually, it MIGHT make a difference. Maybe darkening from heat is how pear wood normally behaves?

I have no idea, though.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?
I have a pear wood pipe. It was about $30 and came with a 2 pipe case, tobacco pouch, reamer, pipe tool and some other accessories. The accessories were worth the price of admission.

The pipe is a decent tool that I don't mind losing and has been smoked frequently while semi abused.

No burnout or coloring for me, but it is already a darker charcoal color.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I’ve made several pipes using fruitwood. Never experienced any discoloration like what you’re experiencing. Vertical cracks developed in the chamber though. Applying coating helped remedy that. Same thing happened with some Ropp Cherry wood pokers I have.

Thick walls are good. I don’t notice any signs that the chamber walls burning out, but a photo on a forum doesn’t always tell the story.

If you don’t have charcoal around, you can dry out some tobacco, grind it to the consistency of dust and use that as a coating. Smear some honey, grape jelly, maple syrup, etc. in the chamber, and dump the ground tobacco in there. Cover the top and give the pipe a good shake. Dump the excess. Let the pipe sit for several days.

View attachment 170840
Thanks I'll do that if I decided to keep it. I also forgot to mention so far Ive only smoked aros in it. Cult Blood Red Moon and Super Value Cavendish. Don't know of that would matter though.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Virginias and some Aros depending on the topping will burn hotter. I smoke burley based blends in my fruitwood pipes. Burns a little cooler.

I don’t really notice anything that would indicate the chamber is burning out in the photo. Maybe some residual sap that’s causing that? I don’t know… I haven’t done a treatise on fruitwoods in pipemaking…

1DC9F71E-885A-46FE-AB84-07D0A8CE2559.jpeg
I’d just smoke it and not worry about it too much…

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Oh, and it appears the grain runs parallel to the length of the pipe. Maybe tobacco oils/tars wicking through. I guess I’d expect that to remain after it cools though. Maybe over time it will.

Reactions: FLDRD

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Oh, and it appears the grain runs parallel to the length of the pipe. Maybe tobacco oils/tars wicking through. I guess I’d expect that to remain after it cools though. Maybe over time it will.
I have 30 days with Amazon and 60 with Mr. Brog. I guess I'll just smoke it and see if the wheels fall off. I was hoping someone would say everythings okay its normal, because they only have 2 left, I'm scared by the time my return starts those will be gone. Really love the look and feel of this one. I been smoking a 13 dollar pipe from China, so this rides like a Cadillac to me.

Reactions: craig61a

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Coreios hi, so there’s nothing wrong if it smokes good, but it could be the start of a burn out, and as mentioned, it is better to buy from the forum sponsors, they are all professional companies and some of the biggest names in the industry, so it’s not a sales pitch.

To be honest, why waste money and take a chance, it’s not like it’s the only pipe out there, and just when you think you love the one you have, you’ll see more, just send it back.

If money is a concern and budget, and you’re not sure, just throw some figures out at us, and people can give you some ideas.

Bottom line, there are a lot of big name pipes out there, you can buy inexpensive and are great smokers, you don’t have to cough up hundreds. ;)

Reactions: OzPiper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For under $80 you have your choice of many very nice estates at Reborn Pipes. Return that one, skip a couple lunches, and get one!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry about that, but it's quite salvageable. And before I sent it back to Amazon, I'd make sure they'll accept it. Might claim "you used it, you own it" Brog should take a different tack.

At the same time, I'd keep it. Just cover the bad spot as others have suggested, and smoke a cooler tobacco carefully until you have developed and even cake throughout.

Where do you live? If you can get to a real tobacco shop that sells "estate pipes"- i.e., pre-smoked, or at least pre-owned, [aka: "used"] your best bet is there for another pipe.

Reactions: FLDRD

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Sorry about that, but it's quite salvageable. And before I sent it back to Amazon, I'd make sure they'll accept it. Might claim "you used it, you own it" Brog should take a different tack.

At the same time, I'd keep it. Just cover the bad spot as others have suggested, and smoke a cooler tobacco carefully until you have developed and even cake throughout.

Where do you live? If you can get to a real tobacco shop that sells "estate pipes"- i.e., pre-smoked, or at least pre-owned, [aka: "used"] your best bet is there for another pipe.
I'm an Amazon Prime member so they'll take it back. But they only have 2 left in stock I doubt I'll get another one like that by the time I get the return started. I did tell Mr. Brog still waiting on that. I think if Brog ignores me I'll try to fix it as others mentioned. We have a tobacco shop here but they dont know anything. As a novice pipe smoker I asked a few questions and they had no clue. I'm an advanced cigar smoker though and they didn't know a lot about that either. I think they just hire someone to ring people up. Not much help.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Well I hate to say that to you I am aware of that brand and they are not known for making very good pipes. I'm talking from opinions of more experienced and smarter than me. Also was told that pear is so so for aromatics not so much for something more. Again opinion of smokers more experienced than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.