PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Here's my setup: Dual 601 and Marantz 2220B

View attachment 130257

Few things are more pathetic than "I used to have....".

Well, I used to have a great system. Then I got married and couldn't use it very much.... wife found it annoying. That was followed by some issues with breakdowns that cost me a fortune. So, bottom line is this. I now listen to a high end headphone system, whereas I used to listen to a room system with all Mark Levinson electronics (including a pair of No. 33 amps) a pair of Magnepan MG20s with a sub. And all Transparent cables. Ohh, how the mighty have fallen. :(

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Few things are more pathetic than "I used to have....".

Well, I used to have a great system. Then I got married and couldn't use it very much.... wife found it annoying. That was followed by some issues with breakdowns that cost me a fortune. So, bottom line is this. I now listen to a high end headphone system, whereas I used to listen to a room system with all Mark Levinson electronics (including a pair of No. 33 amps) a pair of Magnepan MG20s with a sub. And all Transparent cables. Ohh, how the mighty have fallen. :(
Man, I'll bet you miss the MG20s. Hate to hear that for you mate.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Man, I'll bet you miss the MG20s. Hate to hear that for you mate.
Thanks. I miss the whole system. Listening with headphones, no matter how good, is just not the same..

If I were ever to buy another system I would probably go with Magnepans again. But, I wouldn't go with Levinson. I had owned Levinson gear since the early 80s and was very pleased with it. I upgraded in the late 90s and that's when the problems started. The Levinson stuff sounded great but proved to be unreliable. I had a No. 33 fail twice and although Levinson fixed them for free it still cost me a grand in shipping plus the nightmare of getting them downstairs and crated. They weigh 350lb. each. Then the cd tranport failed, so that was it. Sold it all off.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Thanks. I miss the whole system. Listening with headphones, no matter how good, is just not the same..

If I were ever to buy another system I would probably go with Magnepans again. But, I wouldn't go with Levinson. I had owned Levinson gear since the early 80s and was very pleased with it. I upgraded in the late 90s and that's when the problems started. The Levinson stuff sounded great but proved to be unreliable. I had a No. 33 fail twice and although Levinson fixed them for free it still cost me a grand in shipping plus the nightmare of getting them downstairs and crated. They weigh 350lb. each. Then the cd tranport failed, so that was it. Sold it all off.
Man that's a bummer they failed twice. I'm hoping here in the next few weeks to finally bring home a pair of LS50s. I've wanted Pan's for a while now and finally found some nearby, just have to find the time to drive to the guy to pick them up.

While it isn't the same as a speaker setup, you can reach some peak performance out of headphones. I have a few hifi pairs and enjoy my experiences with them greatly. I'm still a speaker guy, but it's amazing what a few hundred bucks can get you in the headphones realm these days.

Reactions: dunnyboy