PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think the FDA makes for a convenient excuse. Still might be true, but you can color me slightly skeptical. I am sorry for the Picayune lovers out there. It certainly was unique, but the good news is there are plenty of other wonderful strong blends out there. I'm smoking C&D Burley Flake #1 right now, which is a pretty good one, IMO.

Maybe I'm just a piss poor capitalist (in fact, I know I am), but I have a hard time begging someone to take my money.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Hey @cosmicfolklore i have a pesky city tax fine that I want waived, can you email them for me? You’d not take any shit I see.

Good on ya, man. I had Picayune once and it was good, but I kissed the train when it was discontinued and I’d love to get some more. Maybe I’ll email him, too.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
While I loved Picayune, I mostly bought many of the other D&R blends because I really like Mark's personality and his willingness to help me in growing Virginias, getting me names and contacts of people to ask questions. I'm not so sure I would really stock up on D&R without Mark in the picture.

It was upon hearing Mark talk about small boutique blends like gourmet wines, and his saving the perique industry by using reasonable wages and employment benefits to keep good workers that first set me off on my love for D&R.

You're friends with Mark Ryan? He's the guy who really knows how to make the stuff, why not knock on his door? I expect he could whip some up in a jiffy even if it couldn't be tinned and labeled "Picayune"

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Imagine if SmokingPipes ran a Kickstarter-like pre-order service where people could sign up and buy into a limited run of a tobacco. If the minimum order is reached, they special order it from the manufacturer and everyone gets their tins. If not, refunds.

Although the FDA rules will probably rule it out or make it expensive after august. Oh well.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You're friends with Mark Ryan? He's the guy who really knows how to make the stuff, why not knock on his door? I expect he could whip some up in a jiffy even if it couldn't be tinned and labeled "Picayune"
I think Jim is saying since the new D&R doesn’t have the perique farm they don’t have the means to make Picayune anymore.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Unfortunately, I cannot legally produce Picayune regardless of the order size.

I honestly don't understand why this would be the case. Even if it wasn't going to be deemed by the FDA, the cut off date is August 8th. Maybe there's some rights issue? My understanding at the time of the sale was that it was being discontinued because it cost more to make, it was more involved to make, and that it wasn't enough of a money maker.

Whatever the reason, the new owner isn't going to be making any. Guess I'll just have to hold onto my 1/2 pound and sell it down the road for a few grand.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I think Jim is saying since the new D&R doesn’t have the perique farm they don’t have the means to make Picayune anymore.
But they can buy perique from Mark. Afer all, they're still making some of the Rimboches.
I honestly don't understand why this would be the case. Even if it wasn't going to be deemed by the FDA, the cut off date is August 8th. Maybe there's some rights issue?
Sure sounds like it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
But they can buy perique from Mark. Afer all, they're still making some of the Rimboches.

Sure sounds like it.
Right but cost....

And the rights issue sure could be. Picayune was a brand of cigs.. perhaps someone out there still owns the copyright?

Reactions: mingc
Oct 7, 2016
I honestly don't understand why this would be the case. Even if it wasn't going to be deemed by the FDA, the cut off date is August 8th. Maybe there's some rights issue? My understanding at the time of the sale was that it was being discontinued because it cost more to make, it was more involved to make, and that it wasn't enough of a money maker.
Well, an explanation might be that whatever paperwork was required wasn’t done n a timely fashion for the business reasons you mention. Now, to do the paperwork required is either:
(1) legally impossible
(2) unduly expensive for something that would have to be pulled in six months.

The company that bought D&R is large enough to afford decent legal counsel. In a lot of cases, a lawyer will say ” You can’t do X, unless you are willing to do Y and Z.” If the top level executives aren’t willing to do Y and Z, then more often than not the outside world is told “The lawyers told us we can’t do X. ” Period. Nothing else.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I wasn't saying that. I was only stating that Mark Ryan kept the perique farm. Mark is selling perique to them or else they could make a Rimboche.

Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
The list of timely filed applications for Pre Market approval for products presently on the market that can’t be grandfathered or won’t qualify as substantially equivalent is

Here

You have to scroll down several pages to get to pipe tobacco, but Daughters and Ryan did file lots of applications. They did not file for Picayune. Whoever “they“ is in this instance.

From the release accompanying this list, which was just made public this week,

“A court order provided for a one-year period during which time such products might remain on the market pending FDA review. 2 If a negative action is taken by the FDA on the application prior to September 9, 2021, the product must be removed from the market or risk FDA enforcement. If a positive order is issued by the FDA on a product in the below list, the product will be listed on the positive marketing orders page and may continue to be marketed according to the terms specified in the order letter.”

In other words, if an application was not submitted by 9/9/2020, it can’t get the one year grace period to stay on the market pending review. Grandfathering doesn’t appear to apply, nor does substantially equivalent. The rights holders to Picayune would have to start by filing an application for market approval from scratch, as a new product, and not one shred of it could be sold until the FDA approved that application.

So, the legal eagle tobacconist who said “Tom” at Intercontinental was full of shit was himself full of it. D&R filed for most of their blends, but not Picayune.

So, the legal eagle tobacconist who said “Tom” at Intercontinental was full of shit was himself full of it. D&R filed for most of their blends, but not Picayune.
I'm lost... I don't understand how not filing for picayune makes him any less... anyways... I'm not an FDA lawyer, so I'll let you eagles hash out that debate. I'm more the creative type.

I think at this point my challenge is to make a blend that I find just as smooth smoking and potent as Picayune. And, if the FDA has a problem with that, they can go looking for that tobacco cellar that I lost in that freak boating accident.

I still have some pounds of Picayune set back. Not a lifetime supply, but enough to pose for a painting. puffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The list of timely filed applications for Pre Market approval for products presently on the market that can’t be grandfathered or won’t qualify as substantially equivalent is

Here

You have to scroll down several pages to get to pipe tobacco, but Daughters and Ryan did file lots of applications. They did not file for Picayune. Whoever “they“ is in this instance.

From the release accompanying this list, which was just made public this week,

“A court order provided for a one-year period during which time such products might remain on the market pending FDA review. 2 If a negative action is taken by the FDA on the application prior to September 9, 2021, the product must be removed from the market or risk FDA enforcement. If a positive order is issued by the FDA on a product in the below list, the product will be listed on the positive marketing orders page and may continue to be marketed according to the terms specified in the order letter.”

In other words, if an application was not submitted by 9/9/2020, it can’t get the one year grace period to stay on the market pending review. Grandfathering doesn’t appear to apply, nor does substantially equivalent. The rights holders to Picayune would have to start by filing an application for market approval from scratch, as a new product, and not one shred of it could be sold until the FDA approved that application.

Interesting that there are no entries for C&D, Lane, or Sutliff. What do you make of that?

• Wow
Reactions: Papamique and mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.