Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks Jim,
I don't have as much pull as you do in moving the masses. Ha ha, heck, most people just commenht on my threads hoping to see a train wreck.

He didn't mention sales as a reason in his email to me. It was all about the FDA. But yeh, I am not sure any of the D&R blends were top sellers, unless it was in the RYO groups.
It could be the FDA, and even if it isn't, what better way to shut off pesky discussion than by declaring that the FDA is making them do it.

Thank you for understanding Michael.

Unfortunately, I cannot legally produce Picayune regardless of the order size.

Tom

Yeh, so he says it would be illegal. I don't believe it, but yeh, it shuts down the conversation. I mean, I could buy up to two thousand worth, and maybe a few others night want to add a few orders to the list, but...
I put my money where my mouth is, but...

Hell, what makes me mad is that even if you have the money, there's no one with enough of the high nicotine blends in stock to be able to make it happen.

Rustica seeds... placing my order now.

While I loved Picayune, I mostly bought many of the other D&R blends because I really like Mark's personality and his willingness to help me in growing Virginias, getting me names and contacts of people to ask questions. I'm not so sure I would really stock up on D&R without Mark in the picture.

It was upon hearing Mark talk about small boutique blends like gourmet wines, and his saving the perique industry by using reasonable wages and employment benefits to keep good workers that first set me off on my love for D&R.

Oct 7, 2016
On Tobacco Reviews, the earliest date I found for a review was 2011. So the statement that it couldn’t be grandfathered might just be the truth. I am told that there might be more flexibility in the substantial equivalence provisions than was originally thought when the rules were first promulgated, but, as many have previously stated, Picayune was unique.

if you are curious about what the FDA paperwork requires, one Vape manufacturer has described the experience of successfully filing for a Pre Marketing Tobacco Application.
Read about it here.

On Tobacco Reviews, the earliest date I found for a review was 2011. So the statement that it couldn’t be grandfathered might just be the truth. I am told that there might be more flexibility in the substantial equivalence provisions than was originally thought when the rules were first promulgate, but, as many have previously stated, Picayune was unique.

if you are curious about what the FDA paperwork requires, one Vape manufacturer has described the experience of successfully filing for a Pre Marketing Tobacco Application.
Read about it here.
I don't doubt that Picayune wasn't released before that date. But, there's no mention of any D&R blends before then either.

Oct 7, 2016
I don't doubt that Picayune wasn't released before that date. But, there's no mention of any D&R blends before then either.
There are as far as I can tell three ways to legally sell blends. In order of paperwork burdens, from least to most onerous and expensive, they are

(1) Grandfathering
(2) Substantally Equivalent
(3) Pre Marketing Tobacco Application

I wouldn’t be calling anyone full of shit without talking to the company’s legal counsel, particularly if my best source was a tobacconist.

Reactions: BROBS and logs

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I went to every pipe forum in existence in 2013, and promoted saving EGR. I discussed what the blend was (posted my review), what the history of the blend was that I knew at the time, and the importance of keeping a historical blend in production. I encouraged everybody to e-mail the company, and respectfully tell them why they wanted to blend to continue production. I also suggested that people ask Sutliff to produce it in tins, and not just tubs for those who, like me, couldn't afford or didn't want to spend $38. for a tub when they didn't know whether or not they would like it. I responded to every question on every thread in every forum. I contacted every e-tailer, and personally spoke to them on the phone about ordering EGR. Then, I sent links to every thread to Sutliff so they could see how many people were interested. Between that, e-tailers calling to order it, and the avalanche of e-mails (which crashed their server for three days), Sutliff decided in our favor.
side note kicking myself that I didn't just order the tub. That tin seems to evaporate pretty fast.

Reactions: BROBS
Russ gave me a recipe to try. It was just off the top of his head, but...

50-60% Five Brothers
20% Three Sails
10% perique
round it out with some Samsun.

I am not sure where to get Samsun... I am guessing that Three Sails is the D&R product.

I'll give this a try, but I can't imagine that Five Brothers would give it enough kick to equal the kick of Picayune. But, I'm going to try this and get back to you.

Anyone know where to get Samsun?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Russ gave me a recipe to try. It was just off the top of his head, but...

50-60% Five Brothers
20% Three Sails
10% perique
round it out with some Samsun.

I am not sure where to get Samsun... I am guessing that Three Sails is the D&R product.

I'll give this a try, but I can't imagine that Five Brothers would give it enough kick to equal the kick of Picayune. But, I'm going to try this and get back to you.

Anyone know where to get Samsun?
Whole Leaf sells Basma and Katerini, and you can get bulk Izmir ribbon cut from C&D, but I haven't seen any Samsun commercially available. My buddy in BC grew some Samsun in his backyard a couple years ago that was pretty tasty, he got the seeds off of Ebay.

Whole Leaf sells Basma and Katerini, and you can get bulk Izmir ribbon cut from C&D, but I haven't seen any Samsun commercially available. My buddy in BC grew some Samsun in his backyard a couple years ago that was pretty tasty, he got the seeds off of Ebay.
Thank you, yeh, I just found some seeds, but I was hoping to get some mixed and tried long before November which is the soonest I could get some from dirt to pipe. I will look into this.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
A couple months back I enlisted jiminks to help deconstruct Picayune for home blenders. This was his suggestion:
  • 20% Flue Cured Gold VA
  • 40% Dark Fired Burley
  • 15% St. James Perique
  • 25% Samsun Oriental
I haven't been able to test it because I didn't have any Samsun leaf until recently, but now I plan to give it a shot

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I'm going to attempt to grow some Orientals again this year, the first year I tried, all the seedlings died because I over watered. Last year, my cat destroyed the entire tray of seedlings. This thread reminded me that I have some seeds from the Samsun my buddy grew that I liked.??

20210219_131404-jpg.66921

Attachments

• 20210219_131404.jpg
    20210219_131404.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
A couple months back I enlisted jiminks to help deconstruct Picayune for home blenders. This was his suggestion:
  • 20% Flue Cured Gold VA
  • 40% Dark Fired Burley
  • 15% St. James Perique
  • 25% Samsun Oriental
I haven't been able to test it because I didn't have any Samsun leaf until recently, but now I plan to give it a shot
I will definitely try this also. Especially if it has the jiminks qualifier. Thanks!!

@canucklehead Also seedlings need a constant light breeze. This will prevent dampening, which is a fungal infection. I also have noticed that this gives me much stronger stalks from the get go. I use a small old computer fan on mine. Also, I keep mine covered with saran wrap till they are strong enough to transplant to seedling trays. I don't really water them till they get in trays.
Isn't it amazing that you can start a whole field of tobacco in a small bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.