New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was contacted this morning by a pipemaker friend and fellow fan of Picayune...

As you have probably heard Inter Continental Trading has bought D&R tobaccos. I understand that they dropped the blends from their catalog that sold the least amounts. There is an email campaign going on to request that they bring back Picayune. If you enjoy Picayune, please consider sending them an email to help us in this campaign.

Here are some reasons to ask them to consider...

• It is a totally unique blend, unlike anything else on the market.
  • It is not a blend that crosses well into the RYO market, so maybe just sell it in tins.
  • It is also a historical blend.
  • It is also a high nicotine blend, which there are very few of this caliber on the market.
  • With the FDA deeming deadline approaching, it is not a good idea to remove a blend entirely, because it will be harder to revive the blend later on.
  • I enjoy the hell out of it, and I want it back.

I can't justify buying 20 lbs of this in bulk, because it is such a powerhouse nicotine blend, that I cannot possibly smoke it more than once a day. But, if sold in tins, I would buy this at least regularly.

Feel free to add to my starter list of reasons to keep Picayune on the market.
And, lease join me in contacting them to request Picayune be brought back. And, back your words up with promises to buy this one, only if you truly promise... D&R tins are sold at very reasonable prices, usually under $8, and the their tins are always packed full. I would probably be willing to pay $10 for a few every couple months. Heck, if I knew it was threatened, I would probably buy 20 tins at a time.

Please help me with the list of reasons...

The email address is tom@ictusainc.com

An excerpt from my email to him...

Good morning,

Recently, I have found out that D&R had removed Picayune from their catalog because sales were low for that blend. I know that most D&R blends serve both the RYO market and pipe market, and it may be that RYO people don’t use Picayune as much, but I have been an adamant fan of Picayune as a pipe tobacco for years.

I have a sleeping disorder that I have fought for my whole life with prescription sleeping pills that have all sorts of negative side affects, but when I started smoking a pipe, I discovered that if I smoked a really strong blend before bed, that I no longer needed the meds. I then found Picayune, which gave me the best night’s sleep ever, usually lulling me off to sleep before I could get to my bed. And, without this blend, and with all of the high nicotine pipe blends becoming harder to get, I am heartbroken that I might have to resort back to my doctor for prescription sleeping pills.

I also included the list of reasons from above.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I don't know, but I think Mark Ryan probably owns rights to perique production and also has some stores of other tobaccos that Continental did not obtain. The loss of the Rimboche line as well, which includes perique and then there's the orientals, gone. Oh well. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

Reactions: BROBS

I don't know, but I think Mark Ryan probably owns rights to perique production and also has some stores of other tobaccos that Continental did not obtain. The loss of the Rimboche line as well, which includes perique and then there's the orientals, gone. Oh well. Adapt, improvise, overcome.
Hey, don't just lay down and die on this. It's just an email.

Didn't jiminks get Sutliff to bring back EGR? Heck @jiminks do you have any advice?

Just got a response from Tom...

It had nothing to do with sales, but...

Without getting into the bureaucratic details, we simply could not legally produce that blend anymore. Any pipe tobacco blend that was not produced before February of 2007 cannot legally be sold any longer. Tobacco products sold before this date are deemed “grandfathered” by the FDA and can still be sold. Unfortunately, Picayune does not fall into this category. It is a very complicated regulation, but that is the nutshell.

I don't understand how other blends are getting through the deeming process, and not this one, unless they just don't want to jump through those hoops.

Come on, don't let this stop your emails.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Just got a response from Tom...

It had nothing to do with sales, but...

I don't understand how other blends are getting through the deeming process, and not this one, unless they just don't want to jump through those hoops.

Come on, don't let this stop your emails.
Don't they have to pay a lot of money to get a blend approved?

Reactions: BROBS
Don't they have to pay a lot of money to get a blend approved?
I know that some companies are getting these approved, some aren't. I have always been of the juggernaut for obstacles like this, myself. Homeland security gave me tons of paperwork that I have to do in gold transactions and such. Sure, I'd rather not have to, and they should either, but that doesn't mean that just quitting is the right thing. It may be the easy thing, but the strong survive. Spend money to make money. That sorta thing.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
He said picayune is one of only five blends not grandfathered in. Which like you said, Picayune has been around for a long while. Doesn't make sense.
The reason why it's probably not grand fathered in is because another company could have been making it at the deeming date. If that is true, then the FDA would consider it to be a separate product if a blend changed manufacturers. That means paying deeming fees.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looking at this from the manufacturer's perspective:

I'm optimizing my operation by not producing anymore unprofitable blends. Picayune is unprofitable because it costs more to make and people don't buy much of it compared to our other products.
Now we're getting letters from a few fans of Picayune asking us to reopen production of this blend so that they can continue to not buy much of it and it can continue to be unprofitable.

What does my "no effin way" look like?

Take a lesson from Watch City. When they're going to make a run of a special blend they make an announcement, collect pre-orders, and send it out to the people who subscribed to the special run.

Someone who really wants more Picayune can contact D&R to find out what amount would be required to do a special run then make an announcement to see if there's enough interest to meet D&R's requirements, collect the pre-orders or arrange with D&R to collect the pre-orders, money up front, do the run and send it out. D&R gets a predictable and immediate return on their time and money making a run of Picayune without being on the hook for a pile of it that doesn't sell. For a manufacturer that would make complete sense as something to do.

It boils down to put up or shut up.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hey, don't just lay down and die on this. It's just an email.

Didn't jiminks get Sutliff to bring back EGR? Heck @jiminks do you have any advice?
I went to every pipe forum in existence in 2013, and promoted saving EGR. I discussed what the blend was (posted my review), what the history of the blend was that I knew at the time, and the importance of keeping a historical blend in production. I encouraged everybody to e-mail the company, and respectfully tell them why they wanted to blend to continue production. I also suggested that people ask Sutliff to produce it in tins, and not just tubs for those who, like me, couldn't afford or didn't want to spend $38. for a tub when they didn't know whether or not they would like it. I responded to every question on every thread in every forum. I contacted every e-tailer, and personally spoke to them on the phone about ordering EGR. Then, I sent links to every thread to Sutliff so they could see how many people were interested. Between that, e-tailers calling to order it, and the avalanche of e-mails (which crashed their server for three days), Sutliff decided in our favor.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The loss of the Rimboché line? They stopped making one of them that didn't sell well. When I last looked, the others were still available.

Reactions: BROBS and musicman
I went to every pipe forum in existence in 2013, and promoted saving EGR. I discussed what the blend was (posted my review), what the history of the blend was that I knew at the time, and the importance of keeping a historical blend in production. I encouraged everybody to e-mail the company, and respectfully tell them why they wanted to blend to continue production. I also suggested that people ask Sutliff to produce it in tins, and not just tubs for those who, like me, couldn't afford or didn't want to spend $38. for a tub when they didn't know whether or not they would like it. I responded to every question on every thread in every forum. I contacted every e-tailer, and personally spoke to them on the phone about ordering EGR. Then, I sent links to every thread to Sutliff so they could see how many people were interested. Between that, e-tailers calling to order it, and the avalanche of e-mails (which crashed their server for three days), Sutliff decided in our favor.
Thanks Jim,
I don't have as much pull as you do in moving the masses. Ha ha, heck, most people just commenht on my threads hoping to see a train wreck.
The loss of the Rimboché line? They stopped making one of them that didn't sell well. When I last looked, the others were still available.
He didn't mention sales as a reason in his email to me. It was all about the FDA. But yeh, I am not sure any of the D&R blends were top sellers, unless it was in the RYO groups.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When Mark sold D&R, all the blends went to the new owner. The perique farm was not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.