PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mr Maiz

Lurker
May 15, 2021
Texas
Hi,
New pipe smoker. For my first pipe a Peterson Aran Smooth 80s. Been enjoying it.
Just noticed this oddity in the curve from the bowl to the shank on the bottom...is this normal?

Attachments

• 20210521_171250~2.jpg
    20210521_171250~2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 55

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's not normal. I'm pretty easy going with small cosmetic issues, but.. You might want to contact the vendor. Regardless of price of the item, fuck up by the factory is a fuck up.

Reactions: danimalia

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Is it the same pipe in your avatar?
Looks great in the photo but still, you would like to think that would have been picked up by QC at the factory at least and marked as a second or something.
Still I suppose you wouldn’t notice it smoking as it would be hidden by the hand and all.
?‍♂️

Reactions: danimalia

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Out of all my Peterson, I have plenty of crooked stem. But haven't seen stummel like that. Some small fills here and there. One pipe with uneven top. I guess I could call that character like a person born with nose pointing left, not that there's anything wrong with person like that. I guess his parents can blame it on OB/GYN.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Hi,
New pipe smoker. For my first pipe a Peterson Aran Smooth 80s. Been enjoying it.
Just noticed this oddity in the curve from the bowl to the shank on the bottom...is this normal?
Not normal but it probably wouldn't bother me. If the pipe smokes fine then it definitely wouldn't bother me.

I'd just put it down to 'character'; after all there are lots of dead straight pipes; now one with a little kink is bit more interesting.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Is that on them being not so great? It turns out there is a bit of roughness in the shank where the stem goes in...kind of gets stuck sometimes (yes pipe is cold)
Peterson is a fine brand. I only smoke Peterson. They smoke well, and looks great. But, on occasions, they make mistakes. This leads to some tarnished reputation, and smokers who swear against Peterson. Bottom line is how you like your pipe. Like I said, slight cosmetic issues, I don't mind. Big ones, I'll take up with vendor or the company.