Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I might change, but my interest in the brand is waning .
Just my 2c, but part of their charm is their often copied but somehow still idiosyncratic style. They aren't everyone's cuppa, but the main reason so many are devoted to the brand is because, for the most part, they really do smoke exceedingly dry and well for mid-priced factory pipes, and they do have a uniquely Irish look. A juxtaposition of coarse and smooth. They do have odd lines, but it's the Italians and Germans that are obsessed with lines and symmetry. The Irish and English generally prefer a different aesthetic. Even tho the lines look off in the hand or on the stand, they tend to look *more balanced while clenched. The top of the bowl may look out of alignment with the shank and bit, but sit perfectly upright, especially hanging from an Irish maw.
FWIW, I don't have a major collection of Peterson's, but I do have more Pete's (8) represented in my collection than any other single manufacturer. Well, unless the rumors are true that all Italian factory brand pipes are all made in just 2 or 3 factories...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Peterson is a fine brand. I only smoke Peterson. They smoke well, and looks great. But, on occasions, they make mistakes. This leads to some tarnished reputation, and smokers who swear against Peterson. Bottom line is how you like your pipe. Like I said, slight cosmetic issues, I don't mind. Big ones, I'll take up with vendor or the company.
I say it's confirmation bias. I see Petes show up good and bad here more often then any other pipe brand. And I bet if we crunched the numbers just here between just got a Pete it's amazing and what's wrong with my Pete it total percent it wouldn't be that different then the other brands. Also every single complaint with a Pete seems to be with the Arans, I think they have the apprentices make those. I have two Petes and everything is perfect with them. My system pipe has one fill on the bottom where it's flat. The Churchwarden is perfect too and has zero fills both smoke great. In fact my system spigot is my best smoker hands down. But you stick here long enough you'll find out every single pipe factory has some clunkers.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I might change, but my interest in the brand is waning .
trust me I am saying it again but for the number of pipes they put out they don't have any more oddities then any other factory. Pete's are an extremely popular brand and sell a lot of pipes. Even back in the day when there where no internet sales and I'd visit shops when in new towns. Petersons where in more shops then not, where as the other brands more hit or miss. And it kills me when someone has an odd Pete the oh that's so typical crowd comes out, yet when a less popular brand has a less then perfect pipe the line is that's so odd I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes but I didn't expect this from them.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
trust me I am saying it again but for the number of pipes they put out they don't have any more oddities then any other factory. Pete's are an extremely popular brand and sell a lot of pipes. Even back in the day when there where no internet sales and I'd visit shops when in new towns. Petersons where in more shops then not, where as the other brands more hit or miss. And it kills me when someone has an odd Pete the oh that's so typical crowd comes out, yet when a less popular brand has a less then perfect pipe the line is that's so odd I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes but I didn't expect this from them.
I trust your advice. It’s relative however. If I purchase a $40 used estate pipe and it’s not made well, I don’t complain as long as it smokes well.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Peterson fell from my favor long ago, due to dipping. A company that would put profit ahead of a chamber free of adulteration shows me that they could give a fece about their customers. Then too they’re notorious for poor drilling. I think if they connect the mortise draft with the chamber draft, even when off by 3-5 mm, they call it good. But precise drilling is fundamental to how the pipe will smoke. Where do they get off selling pipes that have large flaws? It's one thing to make a mistake and quite another to dump such shlock into the marketplace. Quality control? Non existent, it would seem.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
New pipe smoker. For my first pipe a Peterson Aran Smooth 80s. Been enjoying it.
Just noticed this oddity in the curve from the bowl to the shank on the bottom...is this normal?
There’s always that one guy in the locker room who shows you something you don’t want to see, then says “Is y’all’s like this?”
We now know who that guy is here ?
No, that’s not normal. Go let your doctor look at it.

Just messing with you. It’s a flaw, but if you keep it, it should be ok. ?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Then too they’re notorious for poor drilling. I think if they connect the mortise draft with the chamber draft, even when off by 3-5 mm, they call it good. But precise drilling is fundamental to how the pipe will smoke.
This is another Peterson anomaly. Many have what appears to be "poor drilling". Some won't easily pass a pipe cleaner. They obviously don't adhere to the Italian design theory that claims a 100% smooth, even, unobstructed bore from draught hole to button is the only way to get a good dry smoke. Yet my Pete's all smoke exceedingly dry and cool regardless of what the drilling looks like. Not sure if it's leprechaun magic, or just a different approach that works for them.
The bowl coating thing sucks, I'll agree with that, but it seems like nearly all pipe factories are coating their bowls these days. UK, Danish, German, even Italian factories do it.
They have changed their coating recipe a few times, though, and this pipe notes blog entry does a pretty good job of addressing that.
Just curious, but is there a brand in the $80-$100 range that does pass your quality standards?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Of my numerous Petes, only one I have reason to complain about. It's a Silver Mounted Army 106. Everything about it looks great, even the drilling. Every time I smoke it, about halfway through, it starts to gurgle. No matter how I pack, dry, or smoke the damn thing gurgles.

All my other higher end Petes, Sherlock Holmes, and Republic era pipes smoke great though. Hell, even my Aran 53 smokes well.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
That's interesting that you found that on an older Pete, they tend to better than the new ones in both form and function. I have 3 old and 3 new Petes, old are great, new aren't worth a s**t.
How does it smoke? Hold it in your left hand and it looks like it would be pretty comfortable.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's cultural and philosophical. In the Japanese tea ceremony, the guests are invited to admire the tea service (table ware) and its asymmetries and variations, which are beautiful in that culture. To me, the curvature is a distinction, part of the character of the pipe. I'd value it.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I haven’t had any pipe gurgle since I was a drooling beginner 50 years ago. I’ve had many Peterson’s as well as other brands.
It’s possible I’ve been lucky, but the odds don’t support that.
Just sayin’.......

Reactions: BROBS and OzPiper

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
A few people have suggested the problems -- if any -- lie in the Aran line. I'm 99% sure my next pipe will be a Peterson, so it sounds maybe best to go with something from them different. Any favorites among the forum?
I have a Peterson on order right now. While I've never been plagued by these problems, I've gravitated to the Irish Made Army line. Acrylic army mount fishtail stem and smaller bowls being my preference.
BTW, I've NEVER paid even $100 for any pipe in my stable!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Of my numerous Petes, only one I have reason to complain about. It's a Silver Mounted Army 106. Everything about it looks great, even the drilling. Every time I smoke it, about halfway through, it starts to gurgle. No matter how I pack, dry, or smoke the damn thing gurgles.

All my other higher end Petes, Sherlock Holmes, and Republic era pipes smoke great though. Hell, even my Aran 53 smokes well.
I would break it apart and just dry it out. It's army mount after all. The smoke will improve after swabbing the moisture away with pipe cleaner. If needed, I would dump the ashes also.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A few people have suggested the problems -- if any -- lie in the Aran line. I'm 99% sure my next pipe will be a Peterson, so it sounds maybe best to go with something from them different. Any favorites among the forum?
I love most of the Short series (a member has posted pics of his entire Pete Short collection) and a few from the Sherlock Holmes series (Squire, Hudson, Lestrade)

Reactions: EssJaySea

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would break it apart and just dry it out. It's army mount after all. The smoke will improve after swabbing the moisture away with pipe cleaner. If needed, I would dump the ashes also.
That will certainly help.

But, to assist greatly in the drying process, you can smoke several half bowls to the bitter end. That will dry the pipe more than weeks sitting in a rack. And the bottom may well be bitter, so if that starts, gently blow through the stem to keep the ember going. A rough grey ash should be the result, and a much drier pipe.

Please post back your results!