PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Of the few examples of smooths I’ve seen, I have basket pipes that have better grain… But they’re serialized, and come with a little green bag.

I'm guessing you will be right about the grain, I've got some pipes from bygone days that have incredible grain and aren't "special", so to speak.

For me, the color of the smooth with the band works on these, and I like the band --- the sack will go into whatever tub I have all the other sacks in. Don't have any other versions and I'm celebrating the old dog's B'day on March 17th and I know he wants me to have a new pipe for the occasion! So birthday and good Irish memories.

I was confused by the email I saw in the wee hours this morning and just clicked and took me a minute to realize I was on SP EU, lol. So I've secured the smooth B68 I wanted without having to wonder the rest of the day, and still planning on securing a B42 rusticated (yep, no sack!), but plan on supporting a B&M on that with an additional order of tobacco I need from that shop when it is allowed to pull the trigger on selling.

Glad I did, the smooth 68s and 999s are gone over there for now. I'm sure they'll be up for sale in a few hours at SP USA. Shipping was zero, but AN Post sometimes takes forever getting in, around and out of Ireland, not to mention where it will go to die for a few days over here (I'm looking at you, Chicago --- hope that's not where the order goes).

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m not part of the stampede. I get people are excited, but the brainchild behind this must have over estimated last years pipes and woefully underestimated this years demand.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
While the rusticated price is fair, overall I think the prices are too high for what you get with these.
Certainly, I guess it sort of depends on your definition of ''too high''. Back when I first started, I thought £100 was too expensive. In fact, I had to get drunk in order to order my now favorite pipe: The Peterson smooth Tankard. In all actuality, any pipe could be considered ''overpriced'', since a £30 basket pipe from for example Mr. Brog could probably smoke just as good as a £500 Dunhill. It all comes down to personal cosmetic preference. Can't say they are cheap though, and I would have surely bought the smooth 106 from Peterson if it had ''just'' cost between £100 - 120.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW