PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
So watching this lolly scramble I’ve a question as a Pete newb.

Do these special releases have plenty of rusticated pipes but the blasts and smooths are numbered and less in quantity?

Edit 4 smooth and 1 blast at Peretti
It's the first time I see rusticated pipes not being numbered during a limited/special release.
And, yes, and that's a question I was wondering about (quantities).
Why so many rusticated and so few smooths and blasts?
Especially when the rusticated generally seem less popular/in demand.
Because there are plenty of them left.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It's the first time I see rusticated pipes not being numbered during a limited/special release.
And, yes, and that's a question I was wondering about (quantities).
Why so many rusticated and so few smooths and blasts?
Especially when the rusticated generally seem less popular/in demand.
Because there are plenty of them left.
2021 SPD pipes were rusticated and not serialized. As far as 2022 SPD pipes I don’t know… I didn’t buy any. And I’m pretty sure none of my previous SPD pipes were serialized.

25th Anniversary, so I guess that’s worthy of serializing some. Plus it generated FOMO hype after last years dismal release.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
2021 SPD pipes were rusticated and not serialized. As far as 2022 SPD pipes I don’t know… I didn’t buy any. And I’m pretty sure none of my previous SPD pipes were serialized.

25th Anniversary, so I guess that’s worthy of serializing some. Plus it generated FOMO hype after last years dismal release.
Yes, mate, understood and aware of the lack of serializing for previous years.
If they are to serialize some, why not all, if it's such a milestone pipe?
It's like they would have serialized only part of the POTYs.
It's not important, but I just fail the see the rationale.
It would make me feel like the rusticated I get is of less value and meaning, overall.
That's on top of not getting that awesome looking pipe sock. ;)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yes, mate, understood and aware of the lack of serializing for previous years.
If they are to serialize some, why not all, if it's such a milestone pipe?
It's like they would have serialized only part of the POTYs.
It's not important, but I just fail the see the rationale.
It would make me feel like the rusticated I get is of less value and meaning, overall.
That's on top of not getting that awesome looking pipe sock. ;)
Lower price point of the rusticated pipes probably doesn’t allow enough margin. Somebody already put time in to rusticate them, and additional time to serialize them eats up that margin.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
SPD pipes have always been at an entry level price point. For the 25 year anniversary they added another level at a slightly higher price point.
Good points on both your remarks.
I'm really just thinking out loud here, nothing else.
Nothing prevented them to serialize them all and slightly increase the price on the rusticated ones.
Maybe that would have also been an added bonus for sales pitch. ;)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My paternal line was Ulster-Scot from Antrim.
My family is from Fermanagh in Ulster, so I don't display the tricolor. I bought a Peterson 2022 Halloween #102 with an orange stem to march around the house on July 12th.
Our lineage on my father's side we can trace back to 1750 in Ireland (including what is now Northern Ireland)!

I never knew until several years ago my great, great grandfather's parents came from Ireland and that's how things got going over here and more "recent" than I would have thought.

I hate to mention this, but way, way back some of the relatives came from England, sent to occupy land confiscated by King James - I never mentioned that when we were in Ireland last summer, lol.

So the band is great by me, but I also understand the orange - interestingly, I put on an orange hat to wear to a golf course near Killarney and although I doubt it would have bothered a soul, my wife insisted I not wear it (so of course, I took her advice just on my general rule that it's best not to ignore it).

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Our lineage on my father's side we can trace back to 1750 in Ireland (including what is now Northern Ireland)!

I never knew until several years ago my great, great grandfather's parents came from Ireland and that's how things got going over here and more "recent" than I would have thought.

I hate to mention this, but way, way back some of the relatives came from England, sent to occupy land confiscated by King James - I never mentioned that when we were in Ireland last summer, lol.

So the band is great by me, but I also understand the orange - interestingly, I put on an orange hat to wear to a golf course near Killarney and although I doubt it would have bothered a soul, my wife insisted I not wear it (so of course, I took her advice just on my general rule that it's best not to ignore it).
My maternal relatives were and are Loyalists, but most are fairly reasonable. The historic divide between the communities has blurred in recent years, thank God. My sister in law lost her parents in the Enniskillen bombing and the pain lingers in the family. Young people there are doing their best to put all that behind them, but there are fanatics on both sides still. BTW, Ulstermen played a big part in the founding of the United States. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
According to my email, they dropped more smooths and sandblasts yesterday. Probably gone before I even received the email. 😜
It's funny, I got an email that tobaccopipes had a couple of smooths on their site. I jumped on the site out of curiosity and in fact saw two smooths available. I clicked on the first one and....gone. I then backed out and clicked on the second available one and...gone. I am surprised they were still there when I jumped to the site. Glad I got mine even though during my purchase on smokingpipes the website was having a meltdown. Too many people purchasing at the same time. Now I am done purchasing pipes for a while haha!

Reactions: Zero

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Reactions: Zero