PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
So I've become enamoured with the pub pipe, love the Oom Paul shape............but!. They are big and with that comes problems so I'm reaching out to see how owner operators find their Peterson Pub Pipes, warts and all assessments please. Are they too heavy, don't hang well, difficult to keep lit as well as smoke time length, do they smoke flakes better, you get the gist.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
There's already a thread on Pub Pipes ... use the search bar above. Most comments were positive in all respects you mention. That shape is preferred by some for smoking flake virginias because of the narrow cylindrical bowl. That being said ... I recently purchased a pub pipe and am still getting used to it. It is massive to behold (although I have one billiard with a deeper bowl). It continues to amaze me as I smoke it. Always a dry smoke, very comfortable. They do make some on the smaller side amongst the pub pipes ...check the dimensions before you buy. Also read up on it at Peterson Pipe Notes. If you want to try a smaller version, I believe the 313 is the smallest of that bent dutch shape. Get both and report back to us !!! ;) :ROFLMAO:

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
There's already a thread on Pub Pipes ... use the search bar above. Most comments were positive in all respects you mention. That shape is preferred by some for smoking flake virginias because of the narrow cylindrical bowl. That being said ... I recently purchased a pub pipe and am still getting used to it. It is massive to behold (although I have one billiard with a deeper bowl). It continues to amaze me as I smoke it. Always a dry smoke, very comfortable. They do make some on the smaller side amongst the pub pipes ...check the dimensions before you buy. Also read up on it at Peterson Pipe Notes. If you want to try a smaller version, I believe the 313 is the smallest of that bent dutch shape. Get both and report back to us !!! ;) :ROFLMAO:
I actually did that a drew a blank on the search and yes I have read PPN on the subject too, was looking for more anecdotal references. The tall bowl makes sense with Virginia’s.
They hang amazingly comfortable for such a big pipe. The short stem keeps it tucked near your chin. I don’t find it tiring at all to keep it clenched for the majority of the smoke.
Thanks, fatigue was one of my main concerns
The Pub Pipe is designed very well. More compact and better hang feel than the House Pipe.
Thank you, good to know.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
So I've become enamoured with the pub pipe, love the Oom Paul shape............but!. They are big and with that comes problems so I'm reaching out to see how owner operators find their Peterson Pub Pipes, warts and all assessments please. Are they too heavy, don't hang well, difficult to keep lit as well as smoke time length, do they smoke flakes better, you get the gist.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I received a full bent Silver Capped Pub Pipe for Christmas. I love the look of but it smokes very wet.
Dry your tobacco more. Smoke slower. Sip the tobacco. Its possible the tobacco you are using is more moist. Mine only had a little moisture at bottom one time when I smoked flake directly from bag without drying. If you are talking about moisture in the shank chamber ... well, that is the purpose of the dry system. Wipe it out with a paper towel after each smoke.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I was going to get a pub pipe after trying one at my local B&M, but in the end did not get on with the Hungarian shape. I went with a straight billiard style house pipe instead. I went from large to huge.
My pub pipe is actually bigger than some house pipes. 22.5x51.5 chamber. At least when I bought it it was. I did see one house pipe after that was deeper but I suspect they hit a pit in the chamber as it was deeper than normal.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I received a full bent Silver Capped Pub Pipe for Christmas. I love the look of but it smokes very wet.
Mine did as well until (and this may have nothing to do with your experience) I realized I was treating the large chamber as kind of an excuse for thinking I had more margin for error and was a bit casual in drying and “packing”. A few Nording keystone chips I’ve found also help with certain chamber shapes.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My XL339S also smokes 'wet' ... no matter what tobacco used ... the dry system chamber collects condensation ... so much that I have to dump or pour out the liquid at least twice during a bowl (19.5mmx38.5mm) . However the stem is looser than normal ,,, I surmise to accommodate this process.
Perhaps this is the way they are all supposed to be and ones that are dry are not drilled properly ???
Just a query to ponder ... 🤔 What do you guys think ???

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
My XL339S also smokes 'wet' ... no matter what tobacco used ... the dry system chamber collects condensation ... so much that I have to dump or pour out the liquid at least twice during a bowl (19.5mmx38.5mm) . However the stem is looser than normal ,,, I surmise to accommodate this process.
Perhaps this is the way they are all supposed to be and ones that are dry are not drilled properly ???
Just a query to ponder ... 🤔 What do you guys think ???
Mine is cool & dry all the way through.
Off memory I’ve burned
Capt. Earle’s Ten Russians, Honor
GLP Odyssey,Quiet Nights, Haddo’s
C&D Autumn Evening (goopy blend)
Kramer’s Father Dempsey, Cary Grant’s
SPC Plum Pudding
Cult Blood Red Moon

No issues with any of them.
I swab it out, wipe off the condenser
Fold the cleaner over and swab out the reservoir and done.