PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The only Pete I ever bought was a p-lip and I hated it. It was so restrictive and I hated having smoke hitting the roof of my mouth. I honestly don't know how anyone can like this thing. I wonder if people know that using p-lips makes the smoker important.
Fixed your typo, underlined for the sight impaired. puffy

And I just read Al's comment. Yeah, that's tough. Although some dads I know wish they had been impotent.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I have one Peterson p-lip and I haven’t smoked it in years. It’s funny that this post was here and I was just going thru my cellar and my pipes and really was debating on smoking this pipe.... maybe I will be smoking it later.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I only have 2 Petersons, one with a p-lip the other is a fishtail...I'm not a big fan of the Peterson breed in general , especially the more recent examples. For the price of a Pete, I don't think you should be swabbing out excess stain from the shank each time you smoke. But that's just me.

As for the p-lip, I can take it or leave it. I think its mostly a gimmick. That being said, I am kind of fond of the pipe sporting the p-lip in my collection. It's an old (40 year old) 221s kappit. But it's the handy size of the pipe, the way it smokes, it's portability, and the comfortable feel of it in my hand, that makes the pipe and not the odd gimmicky button.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I only have 2 Petersons, one with a p-lip the other is a fishtail...I'm not a big fan of the Peterson breed in general , especially the more recent examples. For the price of a Pete, I don't think you should be swabbing out excess stain from the shank each time you smoke. But that's just me.

As for the p-lip, I can take it or leave it. I think its mostly a gimmick. That being said, I am kind of fond of the pipe sporting the p-lip in my collection. It's an old (40 year old) 221s kappit. But it's the handy size of the pipe, the way it smokes, it's portability, and the comfortable feel of it in my hand, that makes the pipe and not the odd gimmicky button.

latest peterson pipes don't have stain issues. at least, new ones from SP within last 18 months.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
latest peterson pipes don't have stain issues. at least, new ones from SP within last 18 months.

That's good to hear.

Unfortunately I purchased one from P&C a little over year ago and it had the excess stain issue. I've cleaned the stain out and it no longer bleeds but it startled the hell out of me when I first smoked it. White pipe cleaners would come out the color of a baboons ass...I had never seen that happen before even on cheap basket pipes. It was rather offputting.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That's good to hear.

Unfortunately I purchased one from P&C a little over year ago and it had the excess stain issue. I've cleaned the stain out and it no longer bleeds but it startled the hell out of me when I first smoked it. White pipe cleaners would come out the color of a baboons ass...I had never seen that happen before even on cheap basket pipes. It was rather offputting.

yeah, i think some other vendors have older stock on peterson pipes. P&C sent me older stock peterson, but worked out fine for me. it seems that old stain problem is still putting off people. only get my petersons from SP.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I had one Pete with a P-lip and I hated It from the first light. I finally gave it to my cousin and he tried to give it back, no go. I don’t know what he did with it. Smoking it was like putting a stick in my mouth. Never again will I buy a P-lip. I do have an Aran 999 with a fishtail and it is one of my better pipes, passes a cleaner too.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
The peterson I'm eying right now doesn't have the plip, so I doubt I'll be able to comment on how it performs. It looks interesting, and hope to try it someday

Status
Not open for further replies.