PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I like them, it makes for a good bent dangle in my experience.
Who can pass up a good bent dangle?

I have a number of Pete's that I bought at auction about 5 years ago. I really only consistently smoke 2 regularly; a sandblasted natural Pete Royal that Anthony re-stemmed for me that I love. I did not like that particular P-lip so I replaced it, now it's great. However I have a Mark Twain with an original P-lip that's a great change of pace. It's hit or miss with Peterson stems and depends on the pipe shape for me.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
As others have stated, the p-lip is a nice change of pace if you're clinching. I have a Peterson 314 with a p-lip that works great for that purpose. I also have a Dr. Grabow Omega that has something similar to a p-lip. I may buy another sometime down the road.
Actually, I'm sure I will -I can't seem to stop buying pipes!!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm a big fan - but only with vulcanite stems.
Vulcanite stems beat, hands down, any other material as far as I'm concerned.

Not being able to pass pipe cleaners is a deal breaker for me.
More practice and the correct, not overly fluffy, pipe cleaner will do it. If I can push a cleaner through a stem anyone should be able to do so.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Vulcanite stems beat, hands down, any other material as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that vulcanite stems take first place, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find myself a close second this year with a couple of small ropp pipes that have horn stems. Horn has the ability to feel firm and yet has some resistance at the same time.

I would not bother with a p-lip for a straight pipe I dont think, I am all about the dangle, and the chin bounce...
(these statements just keep getting worse)

Isaac

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Repeating myself, but for full disclosure, the P-lip I have hasn't put me off the pipe at all. When its turn in rotation arrives, I pack it and light up. It is a fine Pete.

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
I am a clencher and I prefer a flatter stem. the P-lip is more round where you clench and I don't find it as comfortable. The one thing I really like about the P-lip however is that I can place my tongue under it without worry of getting a bunch of saliva in the stem and bowl like I would with a fishtail. I tend to salivate a bit when smoking my pipe, so that aspect of it, is a big winner for me.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I love Peterson pipes and I love the P-lip. I like the draw and the way the smoke flows. If you are looking to reduce tongue bite though, I've found that if you smoke hot, the P-lip will just burn the roof of your mouth instead of the tongue. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am a clencher and I prefer a flatter stem. the P-lip is more round where you clench and I don't find it as comfortable. The one thing I really like about the P-lip however is that I can place my tongue under it without worry of getting a bunch of saliva in the stem and bowl like I would with a fishtail. I tend to salivate a bit when smoking my pipe, so that aspect of it, is a big winner for me.
it depends what era your plip is from as well.. they had a span of about 20-25 years of round ass plips that are nearly unclenchable.

Reactions: Enemygod

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
My very first pipe was a little bent Peterson with a P Lip. Not knowing any different, I didn’t mind it at all at that time. Since then, every pipe I own is specifically Fishtail. I don’t clench, and the P Lip just feels overly large and awkward against my tongue. I bought and almost immediately sold an otherwise quite lovely old ‘96 Sherlock Holmes Strand to a forum member a while back, simply because I couldn’t get back onboard with the P Lip. I don’t think they’re bad at all! Pretty nifty, if you ask me. I just can’t get comfortable with them.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I guess you have to decide if you want a fully sore tongue or a half sore tongue and a half sore roof.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like them and wouldn't buy a Peterson without one, though I do have one that I inherited that has a fish tail bit. I find the p-lip is easier to clench and since the hole is at the top of the button, it distributes the smoke differently than fish tail bits, which is nice change for a constant smoker like me.

That is interesting ... I find the plip bent pipes more difficult to clench, unless I put a rubber bit on them.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That is interesting ... I find the plip bent pipes more difficult to clench, unless I put a rubber bit on them.

The first two pipes I bought were Dr. Grabow Omegas that copied the Peterson style down to the p-lip, though the hole was not on top of the button. I liked it immediately, and got very used to it. In fact, two of my Basil Meadows pipes have p-lips. It may be how our teeth are constructed that make the difference between the p-lip being a clencher and not being a clencher. Or it maybe where you clench on the stem. I always clench beyond the button on a regular bit and often beyond the p-lip. If the pipe moves in my mouth when I'm walking, I find it much easier to clench and stablize a pipe with a p-lip bit.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The first two pipes I bought were Dr. Grabow Omegas that copied the Peterson style down to the p-lip, though the hole was not on top of the button. I liked it immediately, and got very used to it. In fact, two of my Basil Meadows pipes have p-lips. It may be how our teeth are constructed that make the difference between the p-lip being a clencher and not being a clencher. Or it maybe where you clench on the stem. I always clench beyond the button on a regular bit and often beyond the p-lip. If the pipe moves in my mouth when I'm walking, I find it much easier to clench and stablize a pipe with a p-lip bit.

Yes, I suspect you are right, it depends on how each individual's teeth are constructed. I also try to clench it beyond the button, but since my lower jaw is a bit inward, to the point my upper teeth almost cover my lower teeth when I have my mouth closed might be the reason why I can't seem to grip a p lip firmly between my teeth. The rubber bit is a different story, and the Peterson Kapet I am talking about has a nice balance to it also, however the shortcoming of the rubber bit is that I have the tendency to bite harder, to the point where my jaws hurt. Also, the area beneath it seems to oxidize faster than the rest of the stem ..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The only Pete I ever bought was a p-lip and I hated it. It was so restrictive and I hated having smoke hitting the roof of my mouth. I honestly don't know how anyone can like this thing. I wonder if people know that using p-lips makes the smoker impotent.
Harris, I'm sorry the P-lip caused this issue and I hope you are better now.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve smoked my only plip twice, and both times, my gums felt sore. This is with blends that don’t give my tongue any sort of bite.

I don’t know if it’s me or the pipe. I’ll have to try again when I have more experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.