PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like them and wouldn't buy a Peterson without one, though I do have one that I inherited that has a fish tail bit. I find the p-lip is easier to clench and since the hole is at the top of the button, it distributes the smoke differently than fish tail bits, which is nice change for a constant smoker like me.

P-Lips are great! I use them with tobaccos that have the propensity to bite back if one is not paying attention.

Several argue they direct the smoke to the roof of the mouth which they don't like but if I had to choose between a tender tongue and a tender mouth roof..... No brainer.

Of course, I do my best not to fall victim of either but hey, shit happens sometimes.... puffy

Reactions: dcon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
all my peterson are p-lip but one. it's different and i like them. but there are ways to avoid bite without p-lip. with fishtail, my tongue gets "tired". i don't experience that with p-lip.

Reactions: BROBS

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
My first pipe was a P-Lip on the recommendation of the tobacconist but once I moved on there was no going back. I found it harder to clench and they didn't take to softies very well. The anti-tongue bite aspect may have worked but it wasn't worth the annoyance once I learned proper smoking cadence.

Jan 5, 2020
I don't really care for them. My only Peterson was a fishtail until a couple of weeks ago when I was gifted a P-Lip, and I find the bit too big to clench. Typically when purchasing a pipe comfort of the bit is one of the first things I look for, along with weight and chamber diameter.

IYHO, is the P-Lip effective and do you like it?
Just to throw my $0.02 into the pile, I am not a fan. Maybe my tongue is just tougher than my gums and the roof of my mouth, but having the "I've just eaten pizza with molten cheese that stuck to the roof of my mouth" pain is way more uncomfortable.

I did a post years ago about filing off the P-lip parts of the stems. I had given them a try for a year or so, and then just opted for filing them as opposed to just putting them in drawers never to be seen again. Now, I only remember they were ever p-lips at times like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.