PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Copper is a reactive metal, with a very small atom. It will not hold a polish without a light coating of varnish that is very easy to remove, even handling it will remove the varnish. It also etches very easily, with even the acids in your skin will leave permanent fingerprints etched on it. Left uncoated, copper will turn dark, to black, to green and foamy looking rather quickly, called verdis gris. This is poisonous. Greeks used copper arrowheads for their lethalness. But, it constantly loosing its polish will have guys constantly polishing it, and the small atoms will come off easily leaving it worn away looking fast.

Add in that copper deforms at room temp… all just a perfect storm for a f’d up band and spig.

If it is a copper colored alloy “bronze”, with a plating, it would be much more durable, but cannot be called “pure (or real) copper” in the EU.
There just is no benefit in making it out of a real copper. We learned this early on when we tried to make the penny out of copper. Now, pennies are a bronze alloy.
Thanks for the info! Always appreciate your knowledge of metals.

@swilford can you give us some info if these are pure copper or something else?

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Oh thank god. I loved the 2022 copper spigots and am very happy with the XL11 I nabbed. But I have been kicking myself ever since for not grabbing a 107 or at least another straight billiard. Last years felt like a bit of a dud which apparently everyone else thought so too since there's still a number for sale right now on SPC. Really happy to see a return to the 2022 form even if it's a little samey.

Wonder what the pricing will be? Looking at my 2022 invoice the smooth XL11 spigot was $133 which is a pretty good price for a smooth Pete spigot. With there being three different smooth finishes this year I could see it running the gamut.

Either way looks like I'm going to have to set aside a chunk of change for tomorrow.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think the Irishmen need to back off the Guinness. This has to be the worst 999 I’ve ever seen!
View attachment 336791
Nothing to do with the Peterson Christmas pipes but you mentioned Guinness and I saw this the other day. Thought it was pretty cool.

Northern Briars Bruyere Premier Size 4 Smooth Straight Guinness Dublin

1726595544334.png

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
A lot of times when I ask a question, someone thinks I have some sort of nefarious reason behind it,
I relate completely.
Been that way my whole life.
Nothing to do with the Peterson Christmas pipes but you mentioned Guinness and I saw this the other day. Thought it was pretty cool.

Northern Briars Bruyere Premier Size 4 Smooth Straight Guinness Dublin

View attachment 336854
I wonder if that’s Eldritch Pipes’ stem material. Looks like it.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Jun 9, 2018
England
I relate completely.
Been that way my whole life.

I wonder if that’s Eldritch Pipes’ stem material. Looks like it.
I honestly don't know. I don't think it mentioned Eldritch in the description. I've got a Rattray's meerschaum that has an Eldritch stem and that was advertised as such. Now you mention it, it does look like an Eldritch stem.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Smooth 338 and Rusticated XL02 - those were the ones I had my eyes on! I still can't make out if the stain on the rusticated is the regular reddish or a brown stain, it looked brown in the enlarged view but just not sure - hoping it is a brown stain with these and if not, may not be too happy with the rusticated (may end up as "coal" for Secret Santa!).

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Decided on a X105 Heritage but it seems like there's some big holes in the inventory for these. Can only find X105s in sandblast, really hoping these are coming out in waves and the missing models show up.

Edit: Yup, looks like they're coming up on SPC in batches. Ebony 102s just showed up.

• Love

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I see a D17 and XL02 in my future. With they had done a 605--I've been pining for one of their large pots. I get why people want them to look "Christmas-y," but I think of them more as commemorating the event rather than looking like it. I wouldn't want a huge cadre of red and green pipes myself. Edit: Just snagged a D17 in the heritage finish.

Last edited: