Peterson B10. Are There Any Lovers/Haters of This Shape?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I too, have been admiring the B10 because it seems to be a slightly larger chamber than other Dublins, but I am comparing it to the Hansom shape which is larger. Although, like @telescopes above, I would be hesitant to buy one I hadn't seen in person unless there were many pictures available.
I have a Hansom that is sandblasted. Love the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the Peterson B10 is a briar Calabash shape because of the way the brim arches up from the edge of the bowl. I have a modest version of it that I find excellent. The chamber is of good size, and the bowl and bent shank and stem fit nicely in hand. It's both compact and big enough, nicely balanced and visually pleasing. Mine has rough rustication which isn't everyone's taste, but it looks good to me and improves with age, and doesn't have to be treated with kid gloves.

While we're in the B series of Petersons, I also like the B11, which is a sitter volcano (or you might call it a brandy, since it has both shape attributes). It's another shape with a commodious chamber and a nice balanced shape. I have two B11's, one plain brown stain with a black stem, and another ebony with two thin bands, a dress pipe.

Reactions: gervais

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is a pretty pipe, but the only way I would buy it is if I got a money back guarantee. Petersons are notorious for producing flaws in pipes that should never exists in anything but a cheap 20 dollar basket pipe.

You want one of the greatest smoking pipes for the price of around 125.00 give or take a few bucks. Start looking at the older Commetto's that were made by Radice/Ascorti. They smoke as good as any Castello, have a deep funky blast and there isn't a better smoking pipe for the money. I think Mike at Briar Blues did a whole history about them. They do all come with acrylic stems. Over the years I have a had some and they all smoked great.

Reactions: gervais

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
No action in this thread for a while but I just started to fall for this shape. I know @PrivatePiping got a Natural Spigot. What about others? Anyone land the 2022 copper Christmas spigots?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've been tempted by that one several times but I've refrained, as I have decided that the P-lip is really THAT much better for my experience that I've been refusing if it's not present. Other than that, I'm really liking the rest of it.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've even got Petersons on my Ebay watch list that I think are beautiful pipes overall and I'd love to have them; but that's the collector in me - which I'm trying not to be - instead of simply the me that enjoys specific mechanics about the actual experience and the aesthetic is secondary. So I'm refraining (for now) from many potential purchases...

Reactions: AroEnglish

BorealPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2021
I love the shape, but the one B10 I have (a Cara) is not a great smoker. It's a bummer because I love how it looks and the feel of it in hand.