PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Based on the original Peterson catalog images from 1948 and 1955 from the Peterson Pipe Notes POY Drop article, to my eye shape 14 looks like it’s intended to be roughly the same depth as the 11 (and perhaps wider), just under the 9. I think sometimes the SP listing measurements might be a bit off. Maybe we’ll get some real life measurements as orders arrive.

1948 Peterson catalog (from petersonpipenotes.org):

1F8CC3CC-4DD7-4A50-9D83-098F0F93FEF4.jpeg

1955 Peterson catalog (from petersonpipenotes.org):

A7C12ED9-2490-4E11-95D1-25FBC3EB2626.jpeg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Curious to know what tobacco you smoke, I mean the 9s is a substantial sized bowl for most blends no?
Looking forward to seeing what sort of selection of 14b's we get here in the UK, when they eventually turn up.
Almost always smoke ribbon cut. Flakes would obviously last longer. But a bowl of ribbon cut in my 9s never lasted more than 2 minutes and sometimes less. i was getting tired of the reloads. 9s bowl is large but chamber isn't really that big.

Reactions: simong

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Almost always smoke ribbon cut. Flakes would obviously last longer. But a bowl of ribbon cut in my 9s never lasted more than 2 minutes and sometimes less. i was getting tired of the reloads. 9s bowl is large but chamber isn't really that big.
Two minutes? - try imagining a leisurely game of croquet or a couple innings of baseball! ?

Reactions: Browny

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I was half-tempted to get one of these, but I think for the money I can just get a system standard with larger bowl and a different finish. It's a cool pipe, and it is nice to see an old shape get a new lease on life, but it doesn't really standout to me.

I will say, however, that I must be in minority when it comes to the aesthetic qualities of Peterson's rustication. I love it. It's aggressive, craggy, and also has a practical function, i.e., it makes it easy to grip. I've a straight pot rusticated Derry that I like to use if I'm going for a long walk in humid weather, because even my sweaty hands can get a good grip on it and it carries a decent amount of baccy.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Based on the original Peterson catalog images from 1948 and 1955 from the Peterson Pipe Notes POY Drop article, to my eye shape 14 looks like it’s intended to be roughly the same depth as the 11 (and perhaps wider), just under the 9. I think sometimes the SP listing measurements might be a bit off. Maybe we’ll get some real life measurements as orders arrive.

1948 Peterson catalog (from petersonpipenotes.org):

View attachment 163981

1955 Peterson catalog (from petersonpipenotes.org):

View attachment 163982
I seem to recall from a video I watched a few years back that they take the measurements of each individual piece before they are photographed.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Darn, that shape is looking better and better!
You enablers! I just couldn’t pull the trigger on this one, but just ordered an Arklow sandblast and Aran rusticated in 68 shapes because I’ve been wanting them and the two of them were less than the 14B so I “saved” money, hahaha! I did fall prey to the Reformation and also ordered a tin of Redburn because someone recently spoke well of it and it’s up my alley.

Edit: oops, maybe not less than a rusticated - oh well!

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I seem to recall from a video I watched a few years back that they take the measurements of each individual piece before they are photographed.
I originally thought that too and maybe they do for some. The dimensional measurements I can’t speak on specifically because I’ve never measured that when they arrived, but I do weigh every pipe I receive (important for clenching), and they’re usually different from the listing weights. I’ve even had them heavier by as much as 15g versus the listing (it’s great when they’re lighter, though). You can sometimes see multiple listings of a given shape having the exact same weight in grams to the 100th decimal place, which is extremely unlikely. I think popping the pipe on a weight scale would take less time than measuring each dimension with calipers so I’ve since assumed the dimensions are suspect too, but I can’t verify that specifically.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I originally thought that too and maybe they do for some. The dimensional measurements I can’t speak on specifically because I’ve never measured that when they arrived, but I do weigh every pipe I receive (important for clenching), and they’re usually different from the listing weights. I’ve even had them heavier by as much as 15g versus the listing (it’s great when they’re lighter, though). You can sometimes see multiple listings of a given shape having the exact same weight in grams to the 100th decimal place, which is extremely unlikely. I think popping the pipe on a weight scale would take less time than measuring each dimension with calipers so I’ve since assumed the dimensions are suspect too, but I can’t verify that specifically.
You could take a look at the pipes that are on SP - just go through the POTYs, for example, and you’ll see variations in almost every number (just not the same one for every pipe and maybe just one or two different specs) so It appears they are actually measured.

Reactions: Nevaditude

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This video is obviously dated, and maybe they don’t do this anymore.

But as was mentioned, most measurements are unique for each pipe listed. I know in the past that some series pipes just have a picture and measurements, and the pipe you get is not the one pictured, but then that’s usually mentioned.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
You could take a look at the pipes that are on SP - just go through the POTYs, for example, and you’ll see variations in almost every number (just not the same one for every pipe and maybe just one or two different specs) so It appears they are actually measured.
For the sake of verifying my own statements I just went and checked the listing measurements of all 37 of the remaining 2022 POYs.

Every single one of them listed a weight of 59.53g except a single outlier of 56.70g. Measured in grams to the 100th decimal place, that’s impossible. I’ve also measured over 40 of my own pipes I’ve bought from them and they almost never match the listed weight (sometimes very significantly different).

All of the remaining 37 POY listing dimensional measurements were random combinations of exactly the following measurements with no exceptions:

Bowl Height: 43.43 mm / 43.69 mm / 43.94 mm

Chamber Depth: 31.75 mm / 32.00 mm / 32.26 mm

Chamber Diameter: 19.56 mm

Outside Diameter: 37.08 mm / 37.34 mm / 37.59 mm

It’s as if they measured three pipes and then randomly assigned each listing measurement one of the values from those three sets.

The chamber diameter makes sense since the same drill bit would have been used in them all, but the rest of them matching a group of three measurement sets to the 100th decimal place in millimeters seems extraordinarily unlikely, and the fact that each measurement has exactly a set of three adds to the suspicion.