PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
SP website screwed me again.

Waited for the drop, kept refreshing, saw the Rua I wanted, snagged it and used my saved info to checkout instantly.

Took the time to look at all the others afterwards only to get an email saying:

“Congrats, you bought 0/0 pipes for $0.00. Thanks for choosing smokingpipes”

Other than that one, I had no desire for the others so congrats to you all who did get what you wanted.
Read of several others completing the transaction, getting the notice of a confirmed purchase, then getting double sale email...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm sure nobody likes their new rustication, look at all the 2022 St. Patty pipes (4 pages still) and rusticated Arans that never seem to sell. FUGLY! I don't think they've caught on to it either because of the amount of POYs they made in that finish haven't been touched. Hey Laudisi, If your reading this , fix your rusty process! Sorry, I'm a Pete Geek but ?
The number left is telling. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Reactions: Streeper541

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The 4AB ticked all my Peterson boxes and I've been very happy with those. There was a limited release of a Sherlock Watson "Junior" earlier this year and those went quickly, but I was happy to get one - I like the chunky rustication and I'm a fan of their "short" pipes and that's kind of the Sherlock equivalent of a "short" - kind of like Walther PPK sized pipes. I picked up an Iora spigot XL02 sandblasted in a natural finish (I think that was a special release, can't remember) and that is one of my favorite pipes.

This particular shape wasn't for me, but glad those that wanted it were able to get one. This may be anathema to some, but I read a lot of Mark Twain growing up and just never had the connection to his work I had to many other authors, Doyle and Poe among them, but maybe that's just a reflection on my other tastes and interests at certain stages, lol. Now I'm more "mature", haha, maybe I should revisit.

@craig61a - with all your Peterson experience I can understand your frustration with less than satisfactory standards. I haven't had that issue in any obvious way (can always return to SP) but I don't have the years of experience to compare to the older models. I have purchased a couple of shapes that once received didn't really do much for me, but that's just sorting out preferences. I do have an old 999 I was happy to purchase from @ssjones that is a fine pipe, and also a favorite.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Read of several others completing the transaction, getting the notice of a confirmed purchase, then getting double sale email...

Makes me wish they actually had a competitor.

The constant crashes on releases from their site, this double sale crap, and then timing releases to be at midnight est would normally be enough to send me elsewhere, but there are no other sites with the selection they have for both Pipes and Tobacco and they know that.

Otherwise they would fix how terrible their website performs during releases like this.

Reactions: jiminy

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I actually am a fan of their new rustication. I like the aggressive hewn look and feel... Much nicer than the pinecone looking stuff they used to put out. For a POTY, I would gun for a different finish, but for a "working" pipe, the new rustication is great (for me)
Yeah, I don't think the rustication is all that bad and definitely an improvement over the pine cone approach.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Yeah, I don't think the rustication is all that bad and definitely an improvement over the pine cone approach.

I didnt mind it on the St Patrick's one. Thought it was unique and paired with the green stem I grabbed one and its perfectly fine smoker for that price too.

Then again, I am a sucker for their St. Patrick line, and this last one is nowhere near their worst. I have 2 or 3 from different years that I would say hurt the eyes more than the rustication on the 2022 one.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
SP website screwed me again.

Waited for the drop, kept refreshing, saw the Rua I wanted, snagged it and used my saved info to checkout instantly.

Took the time to look at all the others afterwards only to get an email saying:

“Congrats, you bought 0/0 pipes for $0.00. Thanks for choosing smokingpipes”

Other than that one, I had no desire for the others so congrats to you all who did get what you wanted.
I had the same experience. After waiting and refreshing the SP page I found a Rua I wanted,selected offline payment with the intention of finalizing the order today only to receive an email telling me the pipe was sold prior to my purchase. Of course now the only POTY finish available is rusticated.:mad:
I pulled the trigger but I am hoping SP addresses this glitch in the ordering process.

Reactions: grimpuffer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six or eight Petes I like very much. Mine tend toward the low to mid-price lines, and all but one are fishtail bits. The shapes on these POY's aren't my favorites, though I think the metal work is handsome. Maybe my favorite is a slightly bent bulldog in a red stain with a broad nickel band with a Celtic cross in the Around the World series, this pipe commemorating Ireland. It's also my St. Patrick's Day pipe. I've been lucky with my Petes; no problems, and they ware well.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I love the Burren pipes. I've got two of them.
I love natural unfinished pipes. It's probably my favorite look for a pipe.
I had to Google the Burren pipe. Read up on them on Peterson Pipe Notes (blog 102)
Nice looking pipes. I like the natural look with the mocha colored stems.

Reactions: Streeper541

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
I love the Burren pipes. I've got two of them.
I love natural unfinished pipes. It's probably my favorite look for a pipe.
I agree. Now that I saw that I would like to get my hands on one, even as an estate. When did they come out? And I suppose another of their limited editions?